Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Well, think about it? How do you feel when you fly from the east coast to the west coast and vis versa? Jet lag? Time differences?

    Now imagine leaving an airport on the West Coast at 11:00 PM and arriving at an eastern coast airport at 4:00 AM? Now imagine being ready to play a game later that day? Flying across different time zones causes all sorts of havoc and is the main reason why they'll never be a Professional MLB team outside the continental United States
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  4. #3
    ORG Infidel Cicero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Ebensburg PA
    Posts
    308

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    I can see it having an effect, but winning teams find ways to win no matter the situation. All teams have to do this from time to time.
    Ron Popeil apologist.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    I can see it having an effect, but winning teams find ways to win no matter the situation. All teams have to do this from time to time.

    The report even claims that winning teams have the same problems. I think it is kind of a "well, duh" report, but I think it shows that the problem is more than mental, and how scheduling can really make a difference in a team's record.

  6. #5
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    The report even claims that winning teams have the same problems. I think it is kind of a "well, duh" report, but I think it shows that the problem is more than mental, and how scheduling can really make a difference in a team's record.
    How so? Jet lag and losing (sleep) time are not mental problems. They're physical. And I'm sure you can look at every team and see a drop in performance during an opposite coast road trip.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    How so? Jet lag and losing (sleep) time are not mental problems. They're physical. And I'm sure you can look at every team and see a drop in performance during an opposite coast road trip.

    I don't understand the question. I said it shows they are more than just mental and that even winning teams have the same problems
    The report even claims that winning teams have the same problems. I think it is kind of a "well, duh" report, but I think it shows that the problem is more than mental, and how scheduling can really make a difference in a team's record.

  8. #7
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Nevermind, I misread your post. I thought you were just saying it's mental, and not physical.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  9. #8
    ORG Infidel Cicero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Ebensburg PA
    Posts
    308

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    The report even claims that winning teams have the same problems. I think it is kind of a "well, duh" report, but I think it shows that the problem is more than mental, and how scheduling can really make a difference in a team's record.

    I am not arguing that it is not a physical problem. I am just of the opinion that is is an issue all teams have to deal with and there isn't much you can do about it.
    Ron Popeil apologist.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Nevermind, I misread your post. I thought you were just saying it's mental, and not physical.
    Thats cool. I was just a bit confused.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero
    I am not arguing that it is not a physical problem. I am just of the opinion that is is an issue all teams have to deal with and there isn't much you can do about it.
    I agree, but at the same time I think that not all travel schedules are equal. I think the schedule can affect teams records more than some believe when it comes down to pure travel schedule, and may be enough of a concern to warrant a look into scheduling (as if there weren't enough already).

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,580

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    If you play in Seattle and every Road Trip is from 1000 miles to 3000 miles.

    They have 4 East Coast Trips this year.

    Imagine the REDS (who don't have to go as far to get to the West Coast) having 4 West Coast Road trips in a year?

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    508

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If you play in Seattle and every Road Trip is from 1000 miles to 3000 miles.

    They have 4 East Coast Trips this year.

    Imagine the REDS (who don't have to go as far to get to the West Coast) having 4 West Coast Road trips in a year?
    Didn't they used to have a lot more when they were in the NL West?

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,580

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanfalcon View Post
    Didn't they used to have a lot more when they were in the NL West?
    They've always been in the AL, but the Seahawks were in the AFC West before moving to the NFC West about 7 years ago.

    It's a real disadvantage for teams in Seattle. For them to win on the road is really difficult.

    But, they suck right now because they have so many poor hitters on their team. They really need to sign Scott Hatteberg in a hurry and give him more of Sexson's at-bats.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,526

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    I suspect that one of the effects of the Mitchell report was a significant reduction in the use of amphetamines by major leaguers. This probably affects teams with tough travel schedules, and may be a big reason why so many teams are doing poorly on the road.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,580

    Re: Do Flight Schedules Cause Losses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I suspect that one of the effects of the Mitchell report was a significant reduction in the use of amphetamines by major leaguers. This probably affects teams with tough travel schedules, and may be a big reason why so many teams are doing poorly on the road.
    For people with allergies, which is a large percentage of the population, it's hard to find the right pills that work. Sometimes you find one that does, but then you build up an immunity to it.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25