Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So how long will Castellini stick with Dusty Baker?

Re: So how long will Castellini stick with Dusty Baker?

How long will Castinelli stick with Dusty?

Way.....

to.....

Long.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I'm surrounded by Cub fans (and currently water) here in Iowa and because the Reds and Cubs are in the same division, I've seen a lot of Cubs-Reds games when Baker was the manager there and heard constant complaining by Cubs fans. I have also seen a few Red-Giants games with Baker as their manager. I'm in my 40's and can say without a doubt, Bob Boone included, that Dusty Baker is the worst in-game manager I've ever seen. Beyond that, his lineups and philosophy are atrocious and illogical and his pattern of excuse making and absurd statements make him a complete and total embarrassment. A manager can't hit, pitch, or field for the players but he can, in theory, make decisions that can put the players in the best position to be successful

To answer the question posed by the thread starter, Castellini thought it was the right move to give this guy a 3 year deal for 12MM, so he is going to stick with him
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    The comments concerning Dusty Baker on this board simply amazes me at times. People thought the Reds were crazy to hire him despite the fact that in 14 seasons his teams had finished 1st 3 times and 6 times finished 2nd. One of the years his team finished 2nd in their division was in 2002 when the Giants actually won the NL. The Giants were up 3 games to 2 and were leading the Angels 5-0 going into the bottom of the 7th when his pitching staff who was 2nd in the NL with an ERA of 3.80 that season absolutely imploded and gave up 3 runs in both the 7th and 8th innings. They cost Dusty Baker his World Series ring. The man is 36th All-Time in wins. Do you realize that if he gets this team to .500 this season and next, which is a very real possibility, he will be 26th all time? One more season like that and he'll be in the Top 25 ALL TIME. 288 more wins and he'll pass Earl Weaver for 20th all time. And yet, people can't stop talking about stupid he is. Are some of his decisions and lineups questionable? Yes. But IMO he has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt and I would point out some of the players he's got to work with don't make his job easy.
    Having 2 of the best young pitchers in the game and some other pretty good players (with Chicago) will help that. Having the best (or 2nd best) offensive player of all time (although he reached that position by cheating), as well as an ace and a top closer, and some other good players will help that too.

Those teams won despite Dusty. Patterson and Janish both have OBPs under .300, and they're getting the most ABs in any game. They're our 2 worst hitters besides our pitchers (and hell, now Arroyo has 1 more HR than Janish), and they're our table setters. Then he leaves in both with runners on in a tie game, with Jay Bruce, perhaps our best hitter, sitting on the bench. Thankfully, Janish was able to work a walk and BP saved us. Everything worked out, but it was like having 19 in a game of 21, hitting, and getting a 2: just because it happened to work out this time does not mean it wasn't a completely terrible call.

And then, after all that, he pinch hits Bruce to start the next inning, when we're now up 4 runs, and he rips a double.

Please, someone, justify these moves.

2 Division titles in 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    2 Division titles in 3 seasons.
    Also two first round exits but I blame that on the players not executing though. After all the years of losing I will take it. I do however feel like if they never make it any further that it might cost dusty his job one day.

Starting Hi-C and Hanigan tonight, and then bringing in Hoover made ZERO sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Starting Hi-C and Hanigan tonight, and then bringing in Hoover made ZERO sense...
    Hanigan always catches cueto.

Turn Off Ads?