Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 2008 US Open

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: 2008 US Open

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    But he worked out over the winter, got in shape...kind of.
    I guess round is a shape.

That's the only shape I see when I look at Phil Mickelson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I guess round is a shape.

That's the only shape I see when I look at Phil Mickelson.
    Poor guy needs one of these:

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Poor guy needs one of these:

Phil Mickelson definitely has man-boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Phil Mickelson definitely has man-boobs.
    Jeff Quinney's are bigger. :
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Tim "Lumpy" Herron had a great quote regarding strength training. He was asked if he planned to start lifting weights to keep up with Tiger and the other players on tour who were now into fitness.

His reply.... "Lift weights? No way. Those things are heavy"
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Jeff Quinney's are bigger. :
    What you and Jeff Quinney do together on your own time in the privacy of wherever is your own business!

Most golfers are out of shape to my eyes. Does anyone honestly think Rocco Mediate is in good physical shape? Geoff Ogilvy is someone who looks likes he trains a lot. He would blend right in at a triathalon. His body type really seems to be unique on the tour.
    I love playing golf - but you don't need much conditioning or physical strength for it. Tiger's win on a blown knee should tell you all you need to know about the physical demands of the sport. In fact, a lot of young guys who are strong enough swing way too hard for them to control their swing. WHen they age and get a little "weaker" their swing changes and their golf gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Most golfers are out of shape to my eyes. Does anyone honestly think Rocco Mediate is in good physical shape? Geoff Ogilvy is someone who looks likes he trains a lot. He would blend right in at a triathalon. His body type really seems to be unique on the tour.
    I love playing golf - but you don't need much conditioning or physical strength for it. Tiger's win on a blown knee should tell you all you need to know about the physical demands of the sport. In fact, a lot of young guys who are strong enough swing way too hard for them to control their swing. WHen they age and get a little "weaker" their swing changes and their golf gets better.
    It's not so much pure strength as it is technique and the ability to repeat the exact same motion time and time again. These guys are accelerating the clubhead from 0 to 115 mph in a half second with an accuracy of under 1/8 of an inch. Just because you don't have to be ripped to do it, doesn't make it easy.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It's not so much pure strength as it is technique and the ability to repeat the exact same motion time and time again. These guys are accelerating the clubhead from 0 to 115 mph in a half second with an accuracy of under 1/8 of an inch. Just because you don't have to be ripped to do it, doesn't make it easy.
    I know. I enjoy golf so I know what athletic demands it makes on a player. I also know that I can run 10 miles just before I play, or do a lot of physical yardwork or workout before I play a round or two and I'm not tired on the course.
    One thing I can't do is Golf first thing in the morning. I never play well with a tee-time of before 8:30 am. I Can't explain it.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    With all due respect, try walking 18 holes 5 times a week, in 90 degree heat. Practice round, and 4 playing rounds. This does not take into account the hours spent on the practice range before the rounds. These guys are in shape carteovascularly or they would be falling over like flies. They might not be "tone" like tiger but they are in shape, and have phenomenal eye-to-hand coordination, which is the key to athleticism.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I think it's just a different kind of "being in shape". Golf is so subtle and it takes so much concentration to play well that it is unlike other more physical sports. I am in extremely good shape and I find myself dealing with fatigue on the golf course at the end of a round. It's awfully hard to stay focused to the level you need to down the stretch. And that is the thing that kills a golf swing; losing focus, getting distracted, not sticking with your normal routine. These things are caused by both mental and physical fatigue. Golf certainly is not as physically demanding as other sports, but it is also a sport that exposes the most minute physical and mental errors.

Perhaps because Tiger Woods is in such great shape he was able to handle the physical adversity better than, say, Mediate could have. However, the edge was not just physical. He has the ability to shut out the distraction of pain unlike no other athlete.

I think golfers should take better care of themselves. A body that is in good shape is also more flexible and strong legs are critical to a solid swing. Anyone on the tour who is not working on their physical condition is fooling themselves. I walk and carry my clubs, specifically because I don't see the point of golfing and not getting any exercise out of it at all. Surprisingly, I have dropped a few pounds and gained strength by doing so. To me it is a great form of physical activity for the middle aged.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?