Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 US Open

Re: 2008 US Open

Tiger is simply amazing. Best I've ever seen in any sport.

I would never bet against Tiger, but I am shocked that he is leading right now entering the final round. How in the world is he able to lead the US Open coming from 2 months off and a surgery? It's not possible. Unless your name is Tiger.

Those last 6 holes today were so incredible I can't believe what I saw. 2 eagles and a chip-in at the US Open. Wow.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just finished watching. Wow! Wow! Wow! That's all I can say. What an unbelievable day.

I said the same thing Highlife said as I was watching. Early in the round Tiger's tee shots, whether with the 3 wood or driver, were much more controlled and he was still hitting it a good distance, but was right down the middle every time. Then on #12, he made that big swing with the huge follow through and went way left. Then on the par 5 13th he did the same thing with the same result. Not sure why he felt the need to try to squeeze out a little more distance.

I honestly have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Normally, it would be a no-brainer, but his knee pain is legit. If every else folds like they always do on Sunday when he's leading at a major, it shouldn't be an issue. But if someone comes out and makes him score to win, he just might be in too much pain. Either way, should be a fun day to watch.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Just finished watching. Wow! Wow! Wow! That's all I can say. What an unbelievable day.

I said the same thing Highlife said as I was watching. Early in the round Tiger's tee shots, whether with the 3 wood or driver, were much more controlled and he was still hitting it a good distance, but was right down the middle every time. Then on #12, he made that big swing with the huge follow through and went way left. Then on the par 5 13th he did the same thing with the same result. Not sure why he felt the need to try to squeeze out a little more distance.

I honestly have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Normally, it would be a no-brainer, but his knee pain is legit. If every else folds like they always do on Sunday when he's leading at a major, it shouldn't be an issue. But if someone comes out and makes him score to win, he just might be in too much pain. Either way, should be a fun day to watch.

I'm sorry, I seriously think it is Dwight that is posting every time I read one of your posts. I just can't take them seriously, haha.

For those watching at home:

Rocco Mediate- folks don't try this at home.
    That dude's got some odd stuff going on there in the swing. He looks like one of those old codgers who nudges the ball down the fairway and shoots ten under his age every day.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    For those watching at home:

Rocco Mediate- folks don't try this at home.
    That dude's got some odd stuff going on there in the swing. He looks like one of those old codgers who nudges the ball down the fairway and shoots ten under his age every day.
    Funny, yet true. Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I'd LOVE to see Rocco win this thing. He's just a great guy who loves what he does and is soaking up every moment of his career. He's great for the fans, he gives great interviews. I'd love to see him get a major.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Tiger = God.

Just saw a replay of Tiger after the chip in. Seriously, after working together for this long, don't you think he and Stevie could work out the high five thing?
    Pathetic.

Tiger wins another major. Phil chokes again, anyone want to step up and challenge this woods guy? Nope, they're all chicken ****.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Wow did Rocco Mediate row the boat home yesterday. Gave away something like 4 strokes in 4 consecutive holes on the back 9. The fact he's only 2 back is amazing or surprising. Take your pick.

As for the final pairing, don't count out Lee Westwood. He owns something to the effect of a 5-1 record vs. Tiger Woods in Ryder Cup match play. With Westwood only being 1 stroke behind Tiger (he'd be tied with him had he not missing that birdie on 18 on the amateur side in Round 3), we essentially see match play for the final round.

Westwood isn't afraid of Tiger. He's shown he can handle him, as well as his galleries.

I'm just hoping Tiger's knee holds up for 18 more holes. I'd hate to see him hurt himself or have to WD due to not being able to finish thanks to the knee. Regardless of the outcome, don't expect to see Tiger tee it up until probably the week before The British Open.

My prediction for today? Lee Westwood gives Tiger his 1st loss in a Major after leading or co-leading after 3 rounds. I see Westwood going low, like 68 low, and Tiger only mustering a 70, to lose by 1.

Just saw a replay of Tiger after the chip in. Seriously, after working together for this long, don't you think he and Stevie could work out the high five thing?
    Pathetic.
    The high five was pathetic. Steve and Tiger are famous for their pathetic high fives. However, after the chip in, I think Steve more wanted to help Tiger up the hill b/c of his knee rather than go for the high five.

Regardless, they do need to work on the high fives.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Funny, yet true. Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I'd LOVE to see Rocco win this thing. He's just a great guy who loves what he does and is soaking up every moment of his career. He's great for the fans, he gives great interviews. I'd love to see him get a major.
    Rocco's a great guy. I always ran into him down in Naples at Starbucks on Immokolee Rd when I was working there two winters ago. He would always ask me how my PGA bookwork was going. I always appreciated that.

His house at Tuscany Reserve is just ridiculous. Something like 22,000 square feet and looks like an Italian villa. IIRC, it was on the 14th hole by the tee box.

My favorite Rocco memory is asking him if we could make the turn from 18 to 1 @ Tuscany Reserve, and if he would stop hitting drivers off the 1st tee for a minute. He had a staff bag full of drivers, and was testing them on the 1st hole from the tips. He looks at my group and says "Do you like this ball flight?" and then rips a driver with a nice baby cut, and then quickly tees up another ball and grabs a different driver and then says "Or this one?" and hits almost a high balloon draw. None of us say anything, and then he's like "No no, I'm not giving up the box til you answer". So my buddy says to him "You really had to work hard to get that ball to turn over, so I liked the 1st one better. Looked effortless." and then I said to him "Stay with the cut, it's worked for you this far, can't try and pretend you hit a draw at this stage." He laughed and said "You're right, who am I kidding?" and goes over to the staff bag and starts pulling out a couple drivers, and tosses them over into the rough next to the tee.

As for our tee shots with him watching, I hit a "power draw" aka rope hook to the left side of the fairway, the buddy who said something to Rocco hit his own baby cut, and the other two both hit big banana slices into the water. Following that display, Rocco yelled to us "Don't steal my Calaways in the middle of the fairway!", but was laughing when he said it.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The high five was pathetic. Steve and Tiger are famous for their pathetic high fives.
    Every botched high five requires that one of the participants be a nerd. My money is on Tiger. But that's what puzzles me- he is obsessed with perfecting everything, so why not five minutes with Stevie to work out the routine?

"Okay, mate- you've just holed a fifty footer for eagle to go ahead in major. I'm coming at you with my right hand up. Don't bounce me into the billabong, there, eh? Just stick your hand out and I'll pat it real nice."
    Last edited by SunDeck; 06-15-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Tiger's knee is adding another element to his legend, a la Curt Shilling's bloody sock.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Starting out with Double bogey, bogey and par isn't helping matters much. Fortunately for Tiger, Rocco and Westwood haven't really capitalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Every botched high five requires that one of the participants be a nerd. My money is on Tiger. But that's what puzzles me- he is obsessed with perfecting everything, so why not five minutes with Stevie to work out the routine?

"Okay, mate- you've just holed a fifty footer for eagle to go ahead in major. I'm coming at you with my right hand up. Don't bounce me into the billabong, there, eh? Just stick your hand out and I'll pat it real nice."
    Tiger is a nerd.

Good stuff, SunDeck. I can see that interaction between Tiger and Steve.

Turn Off Ads?