From what I have read Dunn and the Reds have had no talks regarding a LTC.
I suspect he will hit the market and get more than the Reds want to pay.
Carlos Lee got 6/$100M two years ago and is a big stick DH in left field like Dunn. With no Dunn the Reds have holes in LF, CF/RF & catcher.
We also have below average defense at SS with Kep, an enigma at 3B in EE, holes in the pitching staff and other issues. I have been thinking how Jocketty would go about 'blowing it up' if he chose to:
1. Dunn is shopped for a return better than the draft picks we will get. If the offers are poor we offer him a reasonable contract in the offseason and take the picks if he walks.
2. Junior. Most realize he is a goner after 2008. If he wants to play for a ring find a match in the AL where he can DH and get whatever we can for him.
He really needs to be a DH.
3. Weathers won't be back. if we can get anything for him do it.
4. Arroyo. should go in the rebuilding plan but not for a 'fire sale' return. A rotation of Harang plus the kids could use another innings eating veteran so Arroyo's 200+ IP has value. That being said if he pitches well he could have real value at the deadline and we could try to sign a cheap vet this offseason.
5. Affeldt. he is 29 yrs old and has piched decently. i would try to work out a reasonable extention if he continues to do well this year
6. Cordero has a no trade clause for 2008/2009 so he isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. a closer is a luxury for a rebuilding team but losing too much becomes a habit so it is nice to win the games where you are leading late. he stays for now unless he wants to go
7. Certain guys won't be back and have no trade value - Javy, Patterson, Merker, etc
8. Gonzales could go but needs to prove he is healthy first
9. Freel goes if healthy and anyone wants him.
10. Hairston could be reupped if he continues his 2008 play. again do it reasonably not 'krivsky style'
EE - Kep/Janish - Phillips - Votto
Harang & the young starters.
Cordero - Burton -Bray - maybe Affeldt.
Bench guys like - maybe Hairston, likely Freel, Gonzo if we can't deal him, some backup catcher.
1. young catcher
2. one young outfielder who plays CF or RF ( preferrably a CF )
3. another outfielder ( LF ) or a 1B with Votto moving to LF. this could be a fill in vet for a year or so
Looking at what we have to trade it isn't much.
What Walt could get for Dunn or Arroyo at the deadline is crucial to the 'blow it up' plan. Most of the Reds non pitching prospects are in A/A+ which means they are a 2-3 years away. If Dunn goes for draft picks then those picks are also years away. it would be nice to see walt be able to trade for a catcher and centerfielder who are in AA/AAA. that would speed up the rebuiling process.