Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Phillips against RHP

Brandon Phillips against RHP

Going into Thursday:

.236/.285/.388 for an OPS of .637. In the cleanup spot. Every night against Righties. 39:12 K:BB rate.

I'll admit he rakes against Lefties, but his approach against RHP has been comical this year. I don't recall his hacking being this bad in years past, but there is no way this man belongs in the cleanup spot vs. RHP. No way.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips against RHP

He has struggled this season, but to be honest, I think he's hitting below what he's capable of. I agree he's not a cleanup hitter, but he is a good hitter. This team honestly doesn't have a true cleanup hitter imo, griffey also isn't a true 3 hitter anymore, so it kind of stinks for your 3-4 hitters to not be legit. I think bruce is the 3 of the future, and votto possibly 5 if they can get a good right handed 4 hitter to put between them, but we'll see what happens. just supposing they could get someone like kempe or holliday, and you lose dunn, you could go something like that.

It seems the pressure of being clean up has changed his plate approach. It looks like he's trying to muscle the ball all the time. I think if he could move to another slot we would see the Brandon of old - a very good hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    It seems the pressure of being clean up has changed his plate approach. It looks like he's trying to muscle the ball all the time. I think if he could move to another slot we would see the Brandon of old - a very good hitter.

Agreed. He needs to get out of this 40+ HR mentality as he likely will never hit that many. He needs to shoot the gaps much like he did last year, As many of those turn into dingers anyway in our park.

Old Red Guard Reject

Swings wildly at breaking balls and gets behind in the count.....translates to that .637 OPS you speak of.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I would honestly like Bruce or Votto at 2, then Phillips at 3, with a combo of Griffey and Dunn at 4 and 5. It is clear pitchers are afraid of Griffey and Dunn, so stack them back to back pleeeeease. You can have to other of Votto and Bruce at 6, because both of them don't struggle much against lefties, especially Votto.

I may be wrong but isn't that a OPS of .673 ?

.285 + .388 = .673

LOL thats what I thought

He needs Barry Larkin, his idol growing up, as the hitting coach to teach him the ways of the opposite field line drive again.

This team desperately needs a right handed middle of the order hitter. Phillips clearly isn't it and Edwin hasn't shown any signs that it's going to be him either. At this point though I'd flip EE and Phillips against RHPs.

Turn Off Ads?