Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    I'm trying to get going and struggling. Mainly because I spend way too much time on this site. I was wondering if anyone else out there was studying for it and we could try and pace ourselves together? Or has anyone taken it recently that has advice to give? Anything will help.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    214

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    I need to start but I keep putting it off. I graduate tomorrow and still need 12 more hours to reach the 150 hours but hope to knock that out this summer while starting to prepare for the CPA.
    Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

  3. #3
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    I graduate tomorrow and still need 12 more hours to reach the 150 hours but hope to knock that out this summer while starting to prepare for the CPA.
    150 hours, is that credit hours and is that the rules for sitting for the CPA exam, to have a 150 credit hours? Being a Baker/Patterson critic isn't paying too much these days, maybe I should come out of oblivion and try it again.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    214

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    150 hours, is that credit hours and is that the rules for sitting for the CPA exam, to have a 150 credit hours? Being a Baker/Patterson critic isn't paying too much these days, maybe I should come out of oblivion and try it again.
    Yeah in Ohio at least you have to have 150 Semster Hours, or 225 Quarter hours. The test is now broken up into 4 sections. You take them one at a time, but they are only offered certain times of the year. The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours. There are a few other requirements, but the main one is the 150 Hour rule.
    Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

  5. #5
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    Yeah in Ohio at least you have to have 150 Semster Hours, or 225 Quarter hours. The test is now broken up into 4 sections. You take them one at a time, but they are only offered certain times of the year. The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours. There are a few other requirements, but the main one is the 150 Hour rule.
    "The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours."

    That's not too bad from the hours that I was told in ancient times.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    You guys don't even have to sit in a barn (also known as a state fairgrounds or a convention center) anymore and take all four parts in the same room as a thousand other people (about a quarter of whom are on about their eighth try and will never make it and are nervous wrecks) over two days do you? Weak!

    I had to walk seven miles uphill both ways in the snow to take my CPA exam.

  7. #7
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I had to walk seven miles uphill both ways in the snow to take my CPA exam.
    So did you pass or did you end up making snow cones like me?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You guys don't even have to sit in a barn (also known as a state fairgrounds or a convention center) anymore and take all four parts in the same room as a thousand other people (about a quarter of whom are on about their eighth try and will never make it and are nervous wrecks) over two days do you? Weak!

    I had to walk seven miles uphill both ways in the snow to take my CPA exam.
    I would like to point out that five years into this thread I am STILL bitter about the changes to the CPA testing process!

  9. #9
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm trying to get going and struggling. Mainly because I spend way too much time on this site. I was wondering if anyone else out there was studying for it and we could try and pace ourselves together? Or has anyone taken it recently that has advice to give? Anything will help.
    This explains where Homer Bailey's fastball has gone.

    He's too busy studying for the CPA.

  10. #10
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm trying to get going and struggling. Mainly because I spend way too much time on this site. I was wondering if anyone else out there was studying for it and we could try and pace ourselves together? Or has anyone taken it recently that has advice to give? Anything will help.
    Have you tried any of those CPA review courses? Do you have previous test questions and answers to review and to study? My understanding was that the CPA exam is two days and eight hours long each day, unless I was misinformed.

    Some or many have found them to help over just self review. I would recommend that you not let yourself get distracted. I once studied for the CPA review and test, guess who let themselves get distracted? You might ask some of your professors who are actually CPA’s what the best course of preparation is.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-13-2008 at 05:33 PM.

  11. #11
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Have you tried any of those CPA review courses? Do you have previous test questions and answers to review and to study? My understanding was that the CPA exam is two days and eight hours long each day, unless I was misinformed.

    Some or many have found them to help over just self review. I would recommend that you not let yourself get distracted. I once studied for the CPA review and test, guess who let themselves get distracted? You might ask some of your professors who are actually CPA’s what the best course of preparation is.


    Yeah the company has paid for all of the study materials, but I'm just having trouble pacing myself. I'm making a little bit of progress, but just keep getting too distracted.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    214

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    "The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours."

    That's not too bad from the hours that I was told in ancient times.
    Yeah it's really not that bad. The FAR or Auditing section is 4.5 hours, but after that each section is only 2.5-3.5 hrs each.


    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Yeah the company has paid for all of the study materials, but I'm just having trouble pacing myself. I'm making a little bit of progress, but just keep getting too distracted.
    I'm in the process of getting my Becker review material from my work. I am dreading getting started. Have you given any thought to doing the CMA also after the CPA?
    Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

  13. #13
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    Yeah it's really not that bad. The FAR or Auditing section is 4.5 hours, but after that each section is only 2.5-3.5 hrs each.


    I'm in the process of getting my Becker review material from my work. I am dreading getting started. Have you given any thought to doing the CMA also after the CPA?
    Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of taking the certified management accounting after the CPA ? I knew of guys that were going to take it before the CPA when I was in school. At the time they indicated that they felt it would be the right course or direction for them at the time, they were going to sit for the CPA later.

    Becker review in their assemblies goes over and covers a lot of material fast, with a lot of material to work on at home. (at least they use too) They do have a high success rate of first time pass. The Becker review was based on past CPA exams and they would cover most of the questions that have appeared on the CPA in the past, which helps.

    Are you already with an accounting firm or did you work in accounting during or after school ? Financial, cost or management acct. ?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-14-2008 at 02:27 AM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    214

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of taking the certified management accounting after the CPA ? I knew of guys that were going to take it before the CPA when I was in school. At the time they indicated that they felt it would be the right course or direction for them at the time, they were going to sit for the CPA later.

    Becker review in their assemblies goes over and covers a lot of material fast, with a lot of material to work on at home. (at least they use too) They do have a high success rate of first time pass. The Becker review was based on past CPA exams and they would cover most of the questions that have appeared on the CPA in the past, which helps.

    Are you already with an accounting firm or did you work in accounting during or after school ? Financial, cost or management acct. ?
    The biggest benefit is if you have completed the CPA you do not have to take part 2 of the CMA. I work with a local accounting firm doing mainly financial accounting but varies from project to project.
    Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

  15. #15
    Member Buckeye33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Yeah the company has paid for all of the study materials, but I'm just having trouble pacing myself. I'm making a little bit of progress, but just keep getting too distracted.
    Well then you better sell those tickets you bought off me for tomorrow's game!

    Matta = Really good


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25