Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

Anybody else studying for the CPA?

I'm trying to get going and struggling. Mainly because I spend way too much time on this site. I was wondering if anyone else out there was studying for it and we could try and pace ourselves together? Or has anyone taken it recently that has advice to give? Anything will help.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

I need to start but I keep putting it off. I graduate tomorrow and still need 12 more hours to reach the 150 hours but hope to knock that out this summer while starting to prepare for the CPA.

You guys don't even have to sit in a barn (also known as a state fairgrounds or a convention center) anymore and take all four parts in the same room as a thousand other people (about a quarter of whom are on about their eighth try and will never make it and are nervous wrecks) over two days do you? Weak!

I had to walk seven miles uphill both ways in the snow to take my CPA exam.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm trying to get going and struggling. Mainly because I spend way too much time on this site. I was wondering if anyone else out there was studying for it and we could try and pace ourselves together? Or has anyone taken it recently that has advice to give? Anything will help.
    This explains where Homer Bailey's fastball has gone.

He's too busy studying for the CPA.

Have you tried any of those CPA review courses? Do you have previous test questions and answers to review and to study? My understanding was that the CPA exam is two days and eight hours long each day, unless I was misinformed.

Some or many have found them to help over just self review. I would recommend that you not let yourself get distracted. I once studied for the CPA review and test, guess who let themselves get distracted? You might ask some of your professors who are actually CPA’s what the best course of preparation is.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-13-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I had to walk seven miles uphill both ways in the snow to take my CPA exam.
    So did you pass or did you end up making snow cones like me?

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    I graduate tomorrow and still need 12 more hours to reach the 150 hours but hope to knock that out this summer while starting to prepare for the CPA.
    150 hours, is that credit hours and is that the rules for sitting for the CPA exam, to have a 150 credit hours? Being a Baker/Patterson critic isn't paying too much these days, maybe I should come out of oblivion and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    150 hours, is that credit hours and is that the rules for sitting for the CPA exam, to have a 150 credit hours? Being a Baker/Patterson critic isn't paying too much these days, maybe I should come out of oblivion and try it again.
    Yeah in Ohio at least you have to have 150 Semster Hours, or 225 Quarter hours. The test is now broken up into 4 sections. You take them one at a time, but they are only offered certain times of the year. The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours. There are a few other requirements, but the main one is the 150 Hour rule.

Yeah in Ohio at least you have to have 150 Semster Hours, or 225 Quarter hours. The test is now broken up into 4 sections. You take them one at a time, but they are only offered certain times of the year. The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours. There are a few other requirements, but the main one is the 150 Hour rule.
    "The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours."

That's not too bad from the hours that I was told in ancient times.

Have you tried any of those CPA review courses? Do you have previous test questions and answers to review and to study? My understanding was that the CPA exam is two days and eight hours long each day, unless I was misinformed.

Some or many have found them to help over just self review. I would recommend that you not let yourself get distracted. I once studied for the CPA review and test, guess who let themselves get distracted? You might ask some of your professors who are actually CPA’s what the best course of preparation is.

Yeah the company has paid for all of the study materials, but I'm just having trouble pacing myself. I'm making a little bit of progress, but just keep getting too distracted.

"The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours."

That's not too bad from the hours that I was told in ancient times.
    Yeah it's really not that bad. The FAR or Auditing section is 4.5 hours, but after that each section is only 2.5-3.5 hrs each.

Yeah the company has paid for all of the study materials, but I'm just having trouble pacing myself. I'm making a little bit of progress, but just keep getting too distracted.
    I'm in the process of getting my Becker review material from my work. I am dreading getting started. Have you given any thought to doing the CMA also after the CPA?

Well then you better sell those tickets you bought off me for tomorrow's game!

Yeah it's really not that bad. The FAR or Auditing section is 4.5 hours, but after that each section is only 2.5-3.5 hrs each.

I'm in the process of getting my Becker review material from my work. I am dreading getting started. Have you given any thought to doing the CMA also after the CPA?
    Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of taking the certified management accounting after the CPA ? I knew of guys that were going to take it before the CPA when I was in school. At the time they indicated that they felt it would be the right course or direction for them at the time, they were going to sit for the CPA later.

Becker review in their assemblies goes over and covers a lot of material fast, with a lot of material to work on at home. (at least they use too) They do have a high success rate of first time pass. The Becker review was based on past CPA exams and they would cover most of the questions that have appeared on the CPA in the past, which helps.

Are you already with an accounting firm or did you work in accounting during or after school ? Financial, cost or management acct. ?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-14-2008 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post

Yeah he is going to have to get his debits and credits in order and do a cost benefit analysis of ballgames or reviews

Ah, someday he will be sitting up there in the plush diamond seats and won't even remember us old redzoners.........

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post

Haha, the fact that I saw that they were available goes to show how easy it is for me to get distracted. I shouldn't be studying on a Saturday anyway.... should I?

Re: CMA. No haven't thought about it. The CPA will be plenty. I've gotten through 6 chapters of the Bisk Review, and am starting to keep a better pace.

Turn Off Ads?