Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

I keep putting it off. I got the Becker cd review course through my company, but I just finished up my Master's and now I have to start studying. I have a big project at work coming up in July, so I'll be too busy to put too many study hours in. I plan on taking the first section in September, 2nd at the end of October, 3rd in December, and 4th in January. Not exactly looking forward to it. When are you taking it? And in what order?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of taking the certified management accounting after the CPA ? I knew of guys that were going to take it before the CPA when I was in school. At the time they indicated that they felt it would be the right course or direction for them at the time, they were going to sit for the CPA later.

Becker review in their assemblies goes over and covers a lot of material fast, with a lot of material to work on at home. (at least they use too) They do have a high success rate of first time pass. The Becker review was based on past CPA exams and they would cover most of the questions that have appeared on the CPA in the past, which helps.

Are you already with an accounting firm or did you work in accounting during or after school ? Financial, cost or management acct. ?
    The biggest benefit is if you have completed the CPA you do not have to take part 2 of the CMA. I work with a local accounting firm doing mainly financial accounting but varies from project to project.

Oh, ok,

Well I sincerely wish each of you the best. I know that it is a heavy work load, but, I got to believe that you each will do great with the challenge.

In the same vein, I am looking at adding to my MBA education. Does anyone know what is required for an MBA grad to take the CPA required education?

I'm going to try and obtain my CTP certification this fall, but I'd like to maybe get the CPA when I graduate in 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

http://www.beckercpa.com/indiana/index.cfm

Here's Indiana's requirements. You will probably just need to make sure you have the required accounting hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm trying to get going and struggling. Mainly because I spend way too much time on this site. I was wondering if anyone else out there was studying for it and we could try and pace ourselves together? Or has anyone taken it recently that has advice to give? Anything will help.
    28 months later and it's still the exact same story. Just depressing.

OK, this cracked me up.

CPA exam? As in Certified Public Accountant?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    CPA exam? As in Certified Public Accountant?

Yes

Oh, bad memories of preparing for the CPA. I got deathly sick 2 days before I took it 10 years ago and couldn't do any of the last minute practice testing. I wound up passing all but business law (took it in Harrah arena in Dayton). I realized very quickly that I HATED being a CPA (I did audit for D&T in Cincy) and decided to not worry about it and have never regretted it. It's great for some, not for others.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I have three sections down and am sitting for what I hope to be my final section the 29th of this month.

The best advice I can give is just keep at it. I failed 7 times and then passed my last three sections in a row. Of those 7 fails I had 4 74's and a 72. The 4 straight 74's were tough to take but I'm glad i kept at it.

I agree with Cincy Jacket, it's a big old hang with em.

I actually passed my CTP exam in the Winter of 2009, and finished my MBA this past Spring. The only problem was that I didn't have enough accounting credits to qualify, so now I'm taking classes through Berkeley's On-line extension to claim enough accounting credits to sit for the exam in February and March.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 10-12-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

This thread cracks me up because it's me two years from now...

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I was considering starting to study for the CPA this spring while finishing up my MBA. I am currently talking MBA classes while studying and taking the CMA. The format of the CMA has recently been changed to only be a two part test. This has doubled the material in each section. I am currently doing the Gleim review and feel like it helped me with the first part. I just hate that I can always study more for these tests. There is a lot of material on each part and I don't like how your actual score doesn't matter nearly as much as just passing.

Cincyjacket, I can't imagine how you felt getting those 74s, that had to be rough. I just hope I can pass each part the first time so I can move on to the CPA, but I will have to wait to get my CMA results.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post

Cincyjacket, I can't imagine how you felt getting those 74s, that had to be rough. I just hope I can pass each part the first time so I can move on to the CPA, but I will have to wait to get my CMA results.
    It was really tough. I read an article from the AICPA saying 74's are really rare. I wanted to find that guy and ask him what was going on if that was true.

I started MBA classes this fall also. I really need to finish this last section this window also because the CPA exam format changes in January. They add international standards in January and I really don't want to deal with learning that.

Turn Off Ads?