Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School officials lie to kids and tell them their classmate was killed by drunk driver

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

School officials lie to kids and tell them their classmate was killed by drunk driver

Am I the only one here who thinks that the grown ups are morons?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/12/dru....ap/index.html
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: School officials lie to kids and tell them their classmate was killed by drunk dr

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Nope. The people who thought of that idea and the people who agreed to do it are morons. Some can try real hard to paint it a certain way, but will never convince me that it was a good idea. These people are educators? Scary.

Re: School officials lie to kids and tell them their classmate was killed by drunk dr

I think I would remove my child from that school ... if I had a child at that school.
    And make it very clear why. These adults just lost all credibility with the students.

If something bad really happened, would the students believe them?
    If there's really a fire, and not a drill, will the students evacuate the school?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    If something bad really happened, would the students believe them? If there's really a fire, and not a drill, will the students evacuate the school?
    That actually brings up an interesting comparison although I'm sure you didn't intend to. On some level this scenario is similar to a fire drill. In a fire drill, tornado drill, or a practice lock down, the students do not know that it isn't an actual fire, tornado, or emergency.

I think that what the school did was irresponsible and I wouldn't try to defend them, I just thought a loose comparison could be made there.

Southern California is a weird place.

That would never happen above San Luis Obsipo... has to be the Santa Anas winds.

If our school district did this, I'd have some pretty serious heartburn with it.

We're dealing with 14-18 yr. old teens who aren't the world's most stable people to begin with. Confronted with the horrendous news of their friends' deaths the schools concocted up, I could see events rapidly spiraling out of control. The law of unintended consequences is written in big red letters all over this.

A serious lapse of judgment on the schools part IMO.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The officials that came up with that idea should be canned. It shows a complete lack of judgement.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I imagine the worst part of it all would be that immediate reaction and then the search to make sure the people you care about are okay. I would believe the first thing those kids would do is start looking around to see who was there and who was absent to make sure their friends are okay. If someone stayed home sick or had an appointment or something, everybody's first thought would probably be "they're dead!"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I haven't studied torts since the bar exam, but I was wondering if maybe the kids might have a claim for NIED/IIED (negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress).
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Do we know if this is a private or a public school? It would be one thing for a private school to choose this "method" of education, but for a public school to use such bush league tactics for moral education just strikes me as beyond the bounds of their authority. Why not just threaten to be the kids if they turn in their homework late?

Certain lessons should be imparted by parents, who know their children well enough to apply the appropriate type of pressure. I'd hate to see the school district's money wasted on a lawsuit, but I would support a serious reprimand, if not a request for resignation, of the person in charge.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I haven't studied torts since the bar exam, but I was wondering if maybe the kids might have a claim for NIED/IIED (negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress).
    Maybe. It would definitely be IIED, because their entire stated intent was to inflict emotional distress. Those with drama backgrounds and daddies (or mommies) who are lawyers might be showing off "physical manifestations" of the emotional distress these days. It's a required element of the tort.

Pretty flabbergasting! You just don't play with anyone's emotions like that. I do wonder if they would have a valid lawsuit?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

That's an insult to morons everywhere.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

What happened to the good ol' days of a staged wreck outside your high school, with "dead" and "injured" students involved?

I think what the school did was terribly wrong.
    Last edited by Chip R; 06-13-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: uncalled for

Turn Off Ads?