Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Burton in the 8th?

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

Burton in the 8th?

J.Burton has been lights out lately. He has great stuff and the swagger needed to one day be a MLB closer in my opinion. He has prooven to be very valuable this season to the Reds often going more than one inning in relief in a minimal number of pitches. Do you guys like him in the role he is in now pitching in the 7th or should he suplant Weathers as our set up man in the 8th? In my opinion Burton has pitched well enough to earn that set up role title and pitch in the 8th inning. I personally would like to see Weathers and Bray in the 7th depending on a righty or lefty batting. A year from now if not later this year I would love to see Herrera in the 7th, Burton in the 8th, and Cordero in the 9th. That would be game over in my opinion. I think for the immediate future we could move Burton to the 8th and have a cheaper less talented but possibly just as successful version as the Yankees had with Chamberlein and Rivera. It would be nice to know that if the Reds were winning after 7 it was in the bag. The Angels also come to mind with Scott Shields and Rodriguiz. Some people will say that the game is just as wasily won.lost in the 7th as it is in the 8th, I just remember all the problems the Reds had in the 8th inning of ballgames last year and can't remember the last time the Reds had a dominant set up man and a dominant closer for the last two innings. Probably have to go back to the nasty boys. What say you?
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Burton in the 8th?

Burton is a stud and should pitch the 8th. One of the good Krivsky moves.

Would it almost be worse to have Burton 7th, Herrera 8th, and Cordero Close?

The Hitters would be seeing Heat, then all of a sudden, woah Herrera and his well, stuff, and then Cordero's Heater in the 9th...

Confusing for the Hitters and keeping them unbalanced and their timimg off...

However by going Herrera 7th and then Burton 8th followed by Cordero, say the 1-4 bat in the 7th, 5-8 in the 8th, after the 9th hitter you are going to be back around to the guy who would have most likely faced Herrera in the 7th and they would be the ones with the really screwed up timing. Most pitcher WHIP is 1 or a little higher so im guessing 4 guys are up in an inning on average.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree with Hondo about the change of pace being a nice difference maker. But don't forget that for the most part, going from our starters to Hererra is a big switch too. I'd be fine with Hererra 7th, Burton 8th, Cordero 9th. Occasionally fitting Bray in the place of Hererra or Burton. Despite a few poor outings, Bray should figure prominently into our BP plans.

Looking at the Bullpen... Cordero, Burton, Bray... All have been really great...

Herrera is a great addition... Then Roenkie coming up gives us another Power Arm!

I don't think this team is that far off... Considering the Talents in the Rotation with Volquez, Cueto, and Bailey... You know Harang is going to bounce back and be effective... Plus with Arroyo pitching well... Look at the Positives!

Trading Dunn can't be what this team needs... More like shed some guys like Patterson, Valentin, Ross, Gonzalez (when he returns), and figuring out what to do with SS, and the Offensive Production of 3rd Base (EE)...

If we could Add a Right Handed Elite Hitter somehow and find a Lead off guy, whether that be Keppinger when he gets back... (Lead off) I think this team can contend this year... Only a couple games below .500!

Anyhow... Hope Walt is thinking the same!

Weathers is done IMO and should be politely released or on the end of the bench. Cordero is still an elite relief pitcher that would do the 9th for me. I think Burton is ready for the 8 hole and perhaps Bray in the 7th inning. These would be my three go to guys in close games. Understand, two of the three have little experience and sometimes will struggle. I think Herrara is gimmicky and would work well in fill-in areas that are not stressful. I think he can be the kind if you figure him out, in your at bat, that he is very hittable - the four-bagger kind of hittable. We don't want him in if the margin for error is small. I like the looks of our bullpen and think it could get much better when Affeldt figures thijngs out. Chris Welsh has been impressed with the quality of Affeldts pitches but he still gets stung too often, like last night.

Attack Cat!

I assume we'll see Cordero/Burton/Bray/Roenicke/Herrera/Majewski/Belisle in the bullpen next year. Honestly that has the potential to be the best BP we've had since the Nasty Boys.

Nobody has gotten more credit for doing less in a Reds uniform than Bill Bray. Don't give me the ERA argument. He's got a WHIP of 1.47, which is much more telling for a reliever. His WHIP against lefties is 1.78! Lefties are hitting almost .300 against him. He was brought in to get left handed batters out and has simply not done that during his 2 year tenure in Cincy.

Turn Off Ads?