Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaun Cumberland

Shaun Cumberland

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...mberland.shtml

For those who might not recognize the name, Shaun Cumberland is a CF in AA Chattanooga. He was acquired in the deal that brought over Jorge Cantu.

He was a 10th round pick out of HS who appeared to be stalling out in AA for Tampa Bay at age 22 (354 AB, .246/.303/.347) after a few unimpressive seasons in A ball. He hit a bit better after coming over to the Reds organization, but it was a singles driven improvement (.301/.355/.407), not something to get excited about.

Fast forward to today. After a 4-5 day yesterday, Cumberland is hitting .287/.386/.478. His walks are way up and his strikeouts are way down. He's gone from a 3:1 K/BB to to 1:1. His slugging is way up as well. At just 23 and putting up this sort of line as a CF in AA, he suddenly looks like a real prospect.

So, who has the scoop on this kid? Is this a real turning-the-corner season for him? What's he project to? How's his defense? Anybody have a scouting report?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shaun Cumberland

I made this post about a month ago with some info on him:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ght=Cumberland

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Maybe a decent comp if the Reds are super lucky.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Sizemore.shtml

Of course, Cumberland is a couple years off age-wise. Sizemore, however, did get a year head start as both have August birthday's (8-2-82, 8-1-84), but Sizemore graduated HS and started pro ball at 17 years, 10 months and Cumberland graduated HS and started pro ball at 18 years, 10 months.

Take away that and maybe Cumberland in 2008 is mirroring Sizemore's 2003 season in AA-Akron. Both were promoted a level every year and both had one decent season prior to their semi-breakout season with a bunch of nothing special mixed in between.

It's surprising to see Sizemore's minor league stats as they don't jump out at you. His last year in the minors (2004) before being called up for good late in the season, he OPS'd .798 in Buffalo. That was the year following his semi-breakout Cumberland-like year in 2003 (in AA). Sizemore finished minor league ball with a .788 OPS in 1998 AB's and so far Cumberland is at .735 through 1992 AB's, but it is rising every day.

Again, the only real difference other than that is that Sizemore was two years ahead of pace on Cumberland, by having his breakout AA season in his 4th year as opposed to Cumberland doing it in his 6th.

If this kid has a glove in CF, I think the Reds can find their future CF in-house between he, Stubbs, or even Heisey. One should pan out.

Sizemore was considered a real athletic freak type, IIRC, considered an elite prospect as a WR as well. That said, it sounds like they have similar skill sets, all around contributors without any single plus plus skill. Even if he's a Sizemore-Lite, 15-15 with a decent OBP, that's a definite asset in CF.

Given that this is his 6th minor league season, I presume he'll be Rule V eligible if not placed on the 40 man after the season?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Anyone know how good his defense, speed, and arm are?

Arm is above average, speed is slightly below most CF but better than corner OFs, and his overall D should grade out at well above average as a corner OF and just below for a major league CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Arm is above average, speed is slightly below most CF but better than corner OFs, and his overall D should grade out at well above average as a corner OF and just below for a major league CF.
    So kinda like Bruce in CF?

Sounds like the making of a classic tweener -- 4th OF type.

....Is "Denorfiesque" a word???
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

What is holding Cumberland back from a promotion to Louisville?

Whoa, when did you change your username, springy?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Whoa, when did you change your username, springy?
    Last night I asked boss.

I needed a makeover

I never could figure out, what is a springfieldFan, stupid nick, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Sounds like the making of a classic tweener -- 4th OF type.
    I think that's worst case scenario. And for Calvid Medlock? Not a bad deal in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    What is holding Cumberland back from a promotion to Louisville?
    the Reds need to make some decisions on people and also decide where the future is in the outfield, is the spots in CF and LF if youre gonna move Dunn. Jr is a given at 16 million for next year.

my opinion is to go with speed and power and Cumberland probably should get the first shot in ST in LF and Stubbs in CF, looking at the rosters all these guys are similar though and in Dayton Reed and Jones also. Then add Sappelt, Means and Wiley as guys with the same skill set, Ive seen Sappelt and Wiley both are blazers with power.

AAA
    Szymanski
    Anderson
    Dickerson
    Gil

AA
    Cumberland
    Dorn
    Henry
    Strait
    Last edited by icehole3; 06-15-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Last night I asked boss.

I needed a makeover

I never could figure out, what is a springfieldFan, stupid nick, I thought.
    Lots of us were Springfieldfan fans Ken...

Turn Off Ads?