Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Guess who is a top Candidate to DH for Dusty?!?!

Guess who is a top Candidate to DH for Dusty?!?!

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't read it in print:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...pe=team_report

His team’s first exposure to AL teams on the road meant Baker had to be pondering his possible designated hitters. He hadn’t made any decisions, he said Tuesday.

“I have to talk to the guy,” he said. “It’s sort of like pinch-hitting four times. You have to know how to prepare, and a lot of it has to do with the ballpark. Yankee Stadium is short in right and deep in left. Toronto has artificial turf.”

Baker mentioned Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn as possible designated hitters. Dunn batted .364 (4-for-11) with one RBI in the role last season. Griffey was .091 (1-for-11).

If they’re both playing, it’ll probably be (Norris Hopper),” Baker said. The outfielder, who’s been on the disabled list since April 23 with right elbow problems, currently is on a rehab assignment with Class AAA Louisville.

He's got to be joking, right? NORRIS HOPPER - DH EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Guess who is a top Candidate to DH for Dusty?!?!

Based on the thread title, I expected Patterson to be Dusty's DH of choice.

So, we're going to keep two slow outfielders out there to play defense, but put speedy Norris Hopper out there at DH? Makes perfect sense!

thorn

He clearly said if they both are playing, which says if they are both in the field. Hopper would be a good candidate because he can lead off, just saying. You have to remember if one of those are not playing in the field, in increases Patterson's chances of getting playing time, so I'm all for Griffey and Dunn playing the field and letting Hopper lead off ad a DH.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    He clearly said if they both are playing, which says if they are both in the field. Hopper would be a good candidate because he can lead off, just saying. You have to remember if one of those are not playing in the field, in increases Patterson's chances of getting playing time, so I'm all for Griffey and Dunn playing the field and letting Hopper lead off ad a DH.
    You're missing the point of what I'm saying. "If they're both playing" - why not just put Dunn OR Griffey at DH and put Hopper in left or right? That's my whole point. You're going to keep two below average slow outfielders out there instead of just putting Hopper out there and moving one to DH? Why?

thorn

Because Hopper went on the DL because of his arm, maybe they don't feel he's that much better than Dunn or Griffey in the OF at this time, maybe they don't think Dunn and Griffey can perform as a DH as well as Hopper. Griffey has said he doesn't like to DH in the past and his numbers show. If Griffey or Dunn DH's, he might be more inclinded to use Patterson for his defense, just guessing here. Plus, who goes when Hopper is re-instated is a good question, maybe it's patterson since replacing an OF with another would seem logical, but we know logic don't play well here.

I can DH.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Anything that keeps Corey out of the lineup is just fine with me.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

If CF and SS are locked into the 1-2 holes, Grif is in the 3, BP's at 4, Dunn's at 5, EE and Votto are 6 and 7 and the catcher's penciled in at 8, does this mean Hopper as the DH hits ninth?

Turn Off Ads?