Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Janish batting 2nd, has got to stop!

Janish batting 2nd, has got to stop!

Not trying to come down on the youngster but he doesnt need to be hitting second.Hes our only option(outside of B.Phillips)at SS right now so I understand having to play the kid,but why bat him 2nd.I say move Votto or EE (Votto more than likely) up in the order and Janish needs to be moved down to 8th while he plays.There is no justice(for the kid or team) in batting the kid 2nd.This would be my order while Janish has to play.

Bruce - Hes not a leadoff hitter but putting him there now gives him more at bats a game.
    Votto
    JR - hes no 3 hole hitter now but Bakers not moving him.
    Phillips - needs to be hitting second or 5th in the order
    Dunn - neds to hit 4th as long as he is with the Reds reguardless
    EE - has to be hitting somewhere in the top 5
    Ross or Bako - have to have a C
    Janish - also need a SS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Janish batting 2nd, has got to stop!

It's Dusty's dire need to break up the dreaded lefties. God forbid a right handed starter have to face 3 lefties in a row 3 or more times. It's much better to put guarenteed outs in between the lefties so a lefty reliever can't come in and get them all out right? Ugh, Dusty Baker.

what if for 1 game we make a rhp face Bruce, Grif, Dunn, Votto, in order

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    what if for 1 game we make a rhp face Bruce, Grif, Dunn, Votto, in order
    [SARCASM]Why would we make it tough on the starter? It's all about the late inning reliever don't you know that? It's a much better strategy to let the starter coast through the game and get the automatic outs. C'mon Griff, that's why I put you in the three hole! [SARCASM]

What is it with Dusty's incessant fascination with having the center fielder-shortstop batting 1-2 thing?!?!?

got alil captain in u?

I totally agree right there. Janish looks lost at the plate sometimes.

This is easily my biggest frustration with the Reds right now. Common sense in any baseball world tells you there is no way Janish bats second.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    What is it with Dusty's incessant fascination with having the center fielder-shortstop batting 1-2 thing?!?!?
    He's an idiot!
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Dusty doesn't understand the concept of "leadoff hitters".

God forbid he correlates On-Base-Percentage with scoring runs, while putting the guys who get on base the most up to bat in front of the guys that hit the most homeruns.

Our "leadoff hitter" last night took 4 trips to the plate, and was disposed of in all 4 in a grand total of 6 pitches.

I swear to god, I absolutely want to slit my wrists every time I see Toothpick Jr. in the lineup. Just an absolute gd travesty.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Janish is completely overmatched by MLB pitching. He's got a good glove, although he's made a few bad errors since he's been up here. His MLB projection is nothing more than a bench SS. He's 25 years old now, I believe. Not too much time to figger things out at the plate. His 4 AB's tonight were the worst I've seen in a while.

AFA Dusty's lineup tonight..maybe he was thinking he could do the Jay Bell thing with Janish. Problem is, The BRUCE is not a protypical leadoff hitter (I do not like him there at ALL) and I don't think Janish would have made any contact tonight even if he was trying to bunt. It was that bad.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by PTI (pti) View Post
    Our "leadoff hitter" last night took 4 trips to the plate, and was disposed of in all 4 in a grand total of 6 pitches.

I swear to god, I absolutely want to slit my wrists every time I see Toothpick Jr. in the lineup. Just an absolute gd travesty.
    Janish definitely more pitches than that tonight as it takes at least 12 pitches to strike out 4 times in 4 at-bats.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Not trying to come down on the youngster but he doesnt need to be hitting second.Hes our only option(outside of B.Phillips)at SS right now so I understand having to play the kid,but why bat him 2nd.I say move Votto or EE (Votto more than likely) up in the order and Janish needs to be moved down to 8th while he plays.There is no justice(for the kid or team) in batting the kid 2nd.This would be my order while Janish has to play.

Bruce - Hes not a leadoff hitter but putting him there now gives him more at bats a game.
    Votto
    JR - hes no 3 hole hitter now but Bakers not moving him.
    Phillips - needs to be hitting second or 5th in the order
    Dunn - neds to hit 4th as long as he is with the Reds reguardless
    EE - has to be hitting somewhere in the top 5
    Ross or Bako - have to have a C
    Janish - also need a SS
    you don't put bruce at the leadoff spot - you put guys in front of him that are supposed to get on base so that he can get RBI's - same with Jr. / Dunn / Phillips (sometimes) / maybe Votto - those guys make up the heart of your line up - 3 - 6

you put janish at the 2 hole because you can't stick him anywhere else - unless you want him in the 7 slot. the reason for the 2 hole instead of the 8 hole is that he would get eaten up in the NL since the pitcher is behind him. a steady diet of off-speed to get him to chase and strikeout (so the pitcher leads off the inning) or walks him if he's patient (so the pitcher comes to the plate with RISP). a young kid like that is not going to be accustomed to the 8 hole. catcher's usually are slotted there during their upbringing in AA / AAA so they are more "mentally" ready for the 8 hole.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    It's because he is not smart.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

From CTR:

And yes, closet Cub fans, he's heard the complaints about Janish batting second.

"A guy got on me about him batting second, I can’t have too many outs at the bottom either and give them an easy inning," Baker said. "I figured, with Junior behind him, they’ll give him something to hit or I can hit-and-run or bunt a guy over."

Turn Off Ads?