Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tim Russert dead at 58

Re: Tim Russert dead at 58

Loved Meet the Press and his appearances on The Today Show. You could tell he loved what he did and his excitement conveyed to the audience. Huge loss today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This has been a pretty depressing week for journalism. First Jim McKay on Saturday and now Tim Russert.

RIP. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and everybody who was close to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I really hated to hear of Russert's death. He seemed to be a decent and quality person and he was a top flight journalist. He asked the tough questions of everybody, but with courtesy and good humor. He truly was "fair and balanced." He will be greatly missed.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Here's a good article discussing Russert's ties to MLB and love of baseball on MLB.com. He was a member of the board of directors at the HOF.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...ent_id=2907226
    /r/reds

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

this is very sad news....in an era of yellers and muckrakers.....Russert projected professionalism and class.....RIP Mr. Russert

There was a time, before kids and the weekend maintenance that comes with home ownership, when my Sunday morning routine was to turn on This Week With David Brinkley (when Brinkley still ran the show) and Meet the Press. Russert could be congenial with guests, but could also grill them like a prosecutor when the situation dictated.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Tim Russert for me is what made politics fun. You could see his eyes light up often in the middle of an interview and that made me light up in turn. I often like watching the debates but I truly loved them if Tim was moderating. He will definitely be missed.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    There was a time, before kids and the weekend maintenance that comes with home ownership, when my Sunday morning routine was to turn on This Week With David Brinkley (when Brinkley still ran the show) and Meet the Press. Russert could be congenial with guests, but could also grill them like a prosecutor when the situation dictated.
    Russert grilled all of his guests. Jaxred mentioned a rumor that Russert had considered running for the Senate in 2010. From his background and prior employment, some of Russert's political leanings were not that hard to figure out, but those leanings generally did not affect his journalism. Russert asked hard, persistent questions of all of his guests, with no partisan agenda.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Retired

My dad passed away the exact same way, massive heart attack. I watched the show almost every Sunday morning, he will be missed. RIP, Tim.

Just a reminder, if you want to live a long life, you need to exercise and have a proper diet. No doubt in my mind that Russert didn't take the advice of his doctors and the people around him.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Just a reminder, if you want to live a long life, you need to exercise and have a proper diet. No doubt in my mind that Russert didn't take the advice of his doctors and the people around him.
    From his wikipedia page...

Russert's long time friend and physician, Dr. Michael Newman, said that he had asymptomatic coronary artery disease that was controlled with medication and exercise

No need to pile on with reckless speculation. Some people just have a bad heart and will live a short life.

Did wiki mention he was a smoker or diabetic?, overweight? workaholic?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Did wiki mention he was a smoker or diabetic?, overweight? workaholic?
    "Doctors do know that a previous history of heart attacks is the most important risk factor. Vice President Dick Cheney, who has suffered four heart attacks, wears a pacemaker to ward off sudden arrest. Age and gender also play roles, and as a 58-year-old male, Russert was in high-risk groups; the average age for suffering sudden cardiac death is between 58 and 62. Other factors involved in all forms of cardiovascular disease—family history, smoking, diabetes, and obesity—can come into play. Russert had some of these too; he had been previously diagnosed with diabetes and and coronary artery disease, and his autopsy on Friday showed an enlarged heart. But doctors do not know which of these factors is most important in causing a sudden heart attack, or why. They also do not know if stress plays a role at all; the data is unclear. "Most of us do not think it is terribly relevant," says Steven Nissen, chair of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic and a past president of the American College of Cardiology. After all, he notes, "many people in this world have stressful jobs," and they don't all die of of heart attacks."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/141450

Is this what is comes to??? A cheap shot (and speculative...back up your statement please) at a father and son who suddenly passed away at the young age of 58? Uncalled for. I'm done with the matter.

Cheap shot? Sorry, the man simply did not take care of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Is this what is comes to??? A cheap shot (and speculative...back up your statement please) at a father and son who suddenly passed away at the young age of 58? Uncalled for. I'm done with the matter.
    I don't know what comment you're referring to but if you are 58 years old and you have coronary heart disease, diabetes and you look like Russert did (very overweight--heavy around the waist and face) then you are a prime candidate for a heart attack. I don't know if the long flight from Italy contributed to his downfall such as throwing a clot, but let me put it another way. It'd be much more unusual for a guy who looks like George Will to die at 58 of a heart attack than a guy who looks like Russert or say Rush Limbaugh.

Some of us who work in the medical field are trained to assess one's health before we treat them and these are all significant parts of a person's medical history.

Turn Off Ads?