Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta love the great baseball in the 10th today

Gotta love the great baseball in the 10th today

First ol' Toothpick trots out Lincoln for the 10th with his dynamite Setup/Closer on the bench.

Then he pinch hits ol' Toothpick Jr who promptly swings at the first pitch. I'd have rather had Lincoln bat there then Patterson, TS.

Glad we let some jabroni with a 6.00 ERA mow us down in the 10th.

Absolutely unforgivable managing today, The only difference between Baker and Mackanin/Miley/Bob Boone/Narron is $3 million dollars, True story.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gotta love the great baseball in the 10th today

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    First ol' Toothpick trots out Lincoln for the 10th with his dynamite Setup/Closer on the bench.

Then he pinch hits ol' Toothpick Jr who promptly swings at the first pitch. I'd have rather had Lincoln bat there then Patterson, TS.

Absolutely unforgivable managing today, The only difference between Baker and Mackanin/Miley/Bob Boone/Narron is $3 million dollars, True story.
    While I agree about Lincoln in the 10th and Patterson, I would say Craig Hansen has some nasty stuff, and he's not a bullpen 'jabroni' as you call him. Like the announcers said, he didn't pitch as well after Cabrera's hit, but seriously Hansen is a good pitcher.

Good news is he's not Jockety's guy and under normal circumstances it should be easier to correct the problem. Bad news is he's Castellini's guy.

Gotta fire the bum Dusty asap, he's turning this team into the laughing stock of MLB. Also let's give a round of applause to Jr for hitting into that DP with a 3-0 count, good job buddy dude. And Weathers is a creep, hit the bricks pal. Very frustrating year for Reds fans, that's the truth. FIRE DUSTY!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Gotta fire the bum Dusty asap, he's turning this team into the laughing stock of MLB. Also let's give a round of applause to Jr for hitting into that DP with a 3-0 count, good job buddy dude. And Weathers is a creep, hit the bricks pal. Very frustrating year for Reds fans, that's the truth. FIRE DUSTY!
    Agree with both these points also. The fact that this organization still trots out ol #25 on a semi-regular basis shows that they have no idea what it is they are doing.

Griffey is a joke and needs to be shipped out ASAP, the Reds owe him NOTHING, the fans owe him NOTHING.

That's why there was so little buzz about 600, what exactly has Griffey brought us? 7 straight losing seasons.

part of BBN

Before Baker was hired, people would have been estatic if Girardi was hired.
    The yanks with him currently have 33 losses to the reds 37. So he isnt burning it up either.
    Yeah many Baker choices, I have trouble figuring out. However there is still much blame to share.
    Terrible baserunning (BP today), bad throws,fielding, ineffective relief pitching etc would be felt by any manager. CPatt/Janish continues to baffle me.
    Yes with Bailey facing Beckett, you certainly go for the win today. If BP doesnt pull a Freel the reds possibly win anyway cause we would have had Burton/Cordero in today in place of Weathers/Lincoln.

part of BBN

Griffey is a joke and needs to be shipped out ASAP
    I like Jr and understand he is getting up there(baseball wise) but he isnt going to be as easy to "ship out" as some think.

Another mistake-laden game, some of which were the doing of Dusty Baker. Weathers in the 8th (arguable), Lincoln in the 10th (not arguable), Corey Patterson as a pinch hitter in the 10th.

Bad baserunning decision by BP cost the Reds a run (but I admit I was really excited until I saw he was going to be out), Dunn misplayed Drew's hit off the wall into a triple, Bako's throwing error and non-catch (ruled a wild pitch).

Not the best day for the ole redlegs. They still had a great chance to win but for Dudepick's mismanagement. I think Jocketty will try to have him fired in the offseason. Jocketty may want to work with LaRussa again, who is on a one year deal.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I was really upset at Phillips baserunning. Reds would have been tied in the 9th and EE's HR would have won it.

I was really upset when Griffey had a 3-0 count and swung at the next pitch into a double play. TAKE A PITCH. I learned that in little league.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

You know, despite the problems the Reds had today, they still nearly beat Boston for a second game in a row which I think is impressive considering I didn't think we could have even tied the game off Papelbon. The RS are one of the best teams in baseball and it's not like all the guys were playing crappy today. They were battling the best they could but Wakefield was crazy today and the rookies all looked, well, like rookies against him. Yes, there were mistakes but they were still in the game the WHOLE time. I hope they take the disappointment and fire they got from the game today and come out ready to kick some behind tomorrow. Beckett hasn't been nearly as good as he was last year so I wouldn't count on tomorrow being a total loss yet. Bailey just needs to give us a chance and the guys need to hit smarter tomorrow.

It's a little annoying to read the same negative things from the same few people over and over again every time the Reds lose a game. I think we all know the team isn't perfect, we know Dusty makes mistakes, and we know this team is probably not going to win anything this year. It doesn't need to be shoved down everyone else's throats here every single time the Reds lose.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Well, believe me, I find it annoying to have to point out the fact that the guy makes the same mistakes, game after game after game, and that he makes this team worse than it actually is. I'm not going to stop pointing out his obvious and repeated mistakes. He should stop making them.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

So I was at the game today. Here are my thoughts:

1. The base running mistake by BP IMO unfortunately set the tone for the day. Does anyone know why he actually went? From my vantage point in the left field bleachers, we thought that maybe he thought the ball went into center, but I don't know. I don't think he even slowed down when he got to the base, so maybe he was trying to make something happen. Whatever the case, it hurt.

2. Does Dusty want his team to purposely lose games? Why in God's name, with the game that close, playing the Red Sox, would you bring in Weathers in that situation? I shudder every time he comes in this year. At least he didn't give up a home run today...I guess...

3. Why, why, why did Dusty leave Lincoln in in the 10th??? I was leary of him coming in at all. He did well in the 9th, but there was NO reason for him to pitch another inning. Bray should have started the inning, IMO. I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure that out.

4. EE has really impressed me this season. While he has made several errors, he has also made some tremendous plays, and his bat has been clutch at times.

5. I hate 3:55 start times. I hate them. My KNEES are sunburnt. The sun NEVER leaves the bleachers. Ever. It's awful.

Overall it was just a disappointing loss. The Reds should have won that game against a great team who was minus some of their key players. Edwin's at-bat in the 9th inning against Papplebon was tremendous. The atmosphere at the park was great with the sold out crowd. It's been so much fun to attend several sell-outs or near sell-outs this year. There is so much potential on this team, and the fans have been showing up, I'm really excited about what could and will hopefully be in Cincinnati for the next few years!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22 View Post
    1. The base running mistake by BP IMO unfortunately set the tone for the day. Does anyone know why he actually went? From my vantage point in the left field bleachers, we thought that maybe he thought the ball went into center, but I don't know. I don't think he even slowed down when he got to the base, so maybe he was trying to make something happen. Whatever the case, it hurt.
    From what I saw, it was that there was nobody covering third base. NOBODY. I think Brandon didn't think the pitcher could beat him to the bag (at least I think it was the pitcher). It was a gutsy play and he would've been hailed as a genious on the basepaths if it had worked out. But the Sox are too fundamentally sound to shoot themselves in the foot.

Agree with both these points also. The fact that this organization still trots out ol #25 on a semi-regular basis shows that they have no idea what it is they are doing.

Griffey is a joke and needs to be shipped out ASAP, the Reds owe him NOTHING, the fans owe him NOTHING.

That's why there was so little buzz about 600, what exactly has Griffey brought us? 7 straight losing seasons.

Last time I checked Junior cant play all nine positions at once.

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22 View Post
    So I was at the game today. Here are my thoughts:

I thought the same thing, that BP may have thought the ball went into centerfield. Still, I was ticked when AD hit the home run and we could have scored 2.
    2. Does Dusty want his team to purposely lose games? Why in God's name, with the game that close, playing the Red Sox, would you bring in Weathers in that situation? I shudder every time he comes in this year. At least he didn't give up a home run today...I guess...
    I was nervous when Weathers and Lincoln came into the game. I felt like throwing up the white flag, and just plain throwing up.
    3. Why, why, why did Dusty leave Lincoln in in the 10th??? I was leary of him coming in at all. He did well in the 9th, but there was NO reason for him to pitch another inning. Bray should have started the inning, IMO. I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure that out.
    See #2
    4. EE has really impressed me this season. While he has made several errors, he has also made some tremendous plays, and his bat has been clutch at times.
    I almost called that HR of his. EE is our best fastball hitter. Papelbon threw him an off speed pitch on strike two that EE swung right through. Had he thrown him another off speed, I think the game would have been over. That's just bad scouting there. Papalbon had no business throwing him a fastball. When the Dodgers were in town back in April, Jeff Kent came to the plate, a great fastball hitter. Volquez (a great fastball pitcher), threw him all changeups and struck him out. Kent wasn't going to get a fastball to hit, and the bases were loaded with 2 outs. That is good scouting and good pitch calling by our catcher. I was at the game in the stands near home plate.
    5. I hate 3:55 start times. I hate them. My KNEES are sunburnt. The sun NEVER leaves the bleachers. Ever. It's awful.
    I went to my daughters softball game from 1 pm -3 pm and sat out in the sun. Then went down to the game and sat in the RF bleachers in full sun the whole game. Went out to eat afterward, went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. My face is burned to a crisp and I have the raccoon look around my eyes because I wore sunglasses all day. I was totally drained. My group didn't get burned like me and they wanted to head out for drinks after dinner. I headed home and was in bed by 10:30, absolutely worn out by the sun. I agree with you.......3:55 start time in June on a weekend? Great crowd.........but it was stinking hot!
    Overall it was just a disappointing loss. The Reds should have won that game against a great team who was minus some of their key players. Edwin's at-bat in the 9th inning against Papplebon was tremendous. The atmosphere at the park was great with the sold out crowd. It's been so much fun to attend several sell-outs or near sell-outs this year. There is so much potential on this team, and the fans have been showing up, I'm really excited about what could and will hopefully be in Cincinnati for the next few years!!!
    I agree. Unless Dusty continues to mess things up.

Turn Off Ads?