Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time for Jocketty to make some moves

It's time for Jocketty to make some moves

There are way too many awful players on this team right now. The catching situation has to be the worst in baseball. David Ross can't catch or hit. Paul Bako's strong point is supposedly his defense, yet it's been nearly non-existent. It seems like half his throws go into the outfield, and he's awful at blocking pitches. He handed the Red Sox two runs today and ultimately the game with his throwing error and passed ball. Valentin is listed as a catcher but he's more of a DH than anything. Jocketty's number one goal should be upgrading the catching position.

On to David Weathers. He had yet another rough outing today as he allowed a run on three hits plus a walk in one inning. It could have been a lot worse if not for the Boston third base coach sending a runner home and getting him thrown out by 10 feet. Weathers gets rocked every time he pitches. It's time to release or trade him and bring up Josh Roenicke from Louisville. Roenicke has a 2.70 ERA and 37 strikeouts in 30 innings between Chattanooga and Louisville. Replacing Weathers with Roenicke is a big upgrade to the bullpen IMO.

Another move I'd make is DFA'ing Corey Patterson and replacing him with Chris Dickerson. Dickerson has heated up in June and couldn't possibly do any worse than Patterson. Dickerson will at least take a walk for you and his defense is considered top notch.

Finally, I'd start fielding offers for Griffey. I'd offer him up to the Rays for Jeff Niemann and see if the Rays won't bite. Rob Dibble reported on the Fox pregame show today that the Rays have expressed interest in Griff. I love the guy but it's time to move on. I've been waiting on him to go on a hot streak but it just hasn't happened yet. I'm still shocked that he swung at that 3-0 pitch in the 8th inning today. That was easily one of the worst atbats I have seen.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: It's time for Jocketty to make some moves

Your moves are cosmetic. This team can't undergo the deep and necessary changes until the deadline and the offseason. Just hang in there and try to enjoy the individual games. They fought pretty hard today, which is something.

One other thing. It may be time to start looking for another hitting coach. I just see way too many awful atbats by this team. You see a team up there like the Red Sox working the count deep and then the Reds are hacking away at bad pitches. Look at Griffey today for an example. The Reds are losing 4-3 and have runners on first and third with only out for Griffey. Delcarmen missed badly with the first three pitches to Griff, so what's Griffey do? He swings at a 3-0 pitch on the hands and grounds into a double play. Just an awful atbat. If you're going to swing at a 3-0 pitch then it needs to be right down the middle, not in on the hands where you're going to get jammed. And how many times do we see Phillips swing at bad pitches on 2-0? And now Votto seems to be getting too aggressive because he's not getting much to hit with Bako/Ross and the pitcher protecting him and now he's chasing more bad pitches than normal. Same with Bruce. He's not getting much to hit with Janish batting second. I think it's time to replace Brook Jacoby. Why in the world was Chris Chambliss let go in the first place?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    There are way too many awful players on this team right now. The catching situation has to be the worst in baseball. David Ross can't catch or hit. Paul Bako's strong point is supposedly his defense, yet it's been nearly non-existent. It seems like half his throws go into the outfield, and he's awful at blocking pitches. He handed the Red Sox two runs today and ultimately the game with his throwing error and passed ball. Valentin is listed as a catcher but he's more of a DH than anything. Jocketty's number one goal should be upgrading the catching position.

On to David Weathers. He had yet another rough outing today as he allowed a run on three hits plus a walk in one inning. It could have been a lot worse if not for the Boston third base coach sending a runner home and getting him thrown out by 10 feet. Weathers gets rocked every time he pitches. It's time to release or trade him and bring up Josh Roenicke from Louisville. Roenicke has a 2.70 ERA and 37 strikeouts in 30 innings between Chattanooga and Louisville. Replacing Weathers with Roenicke is a big upgrade to the bullpen IMO.

Another move I'd make is DFA'ing Corey Patterson and replacing him with Chris Dickerson. Dickerson has heated up in June and couldn't possibly do any worse than Patterson. Dickerson will at least take a walk for you and his defense is considered top notch.

Finally, I'd start fielding offers for Griffey. I'd offer him up to the Rays for Jeff Niemann and see if the Rays won't bite. Rob Dibble reported on the Fox pregame show today that the Rays have expressed interest in Griff. I love the guy but it's time to move on. I've been waiting on him to go on a hot streak but it just hasn't happened yet. I'm still shocked that he swung at that 3-0 pitch in the 8th inning today. That was easily one of the worst atbats I have seen.
    Been preaching the catching situation all season, but GAC keeps telling me there isn't much out there. I think we could find someone who could do better than Bako or Ross. Javier should be sent far, far away.

I agree that Weathers is toast, but Lincoln is worse. Get both outa here. And find us a bat or two. I know that Keppinger will be back soon and that will help, but our hitters are so predictable that the opposition knows who to avoid and who to pitch to.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Been preaching the catching situation all season, but GAC keeps telling me there isn't much out there. I think we could find someone who could do better than Bako or Ross. Javier should be sent far, far away.

I agree that Weathers is toast, but Lincoln is worse. Get both outa here. And find us a bat or two. I know that Keppinger will be back soon and that will help, but our hitters are so predictable that the opposition knows who to avoid and who to pitch to.
    I would keep Lincoln over Weathers. At least Lincoln is capable of throwing a scoreless inning. His troubles usually occur when Dusty sends him back out there for a second inning. Weathers, OTOH, seems to get rocked every time he pitches. I'd jettison him ASAP and bring up Roenicke.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

One other thing. It may be time to start looking for another hitting coach. I just see way too many awful atbats by this team. You see a team up there like the Red Sox working the count deep and then the Reds are hacking away at bad pitches. Look at Griffey today for an example. The Reds are losing 4-3 and have runners on first and third with only out for Griffey. Delcarmen missed badly with the first three pitches to Griff, so what's Griffey do? He swings at a 3-0 pitch on the hands and grounds into a double play. Just an awful atbat. If you're going to swing at a 3-0 pitch then it needs to be right down the middle, not in on the hands where you're going to get jammed. And how many times do we see Phillips swing at bad pitches on 2-0? And now Votto seems to be getting too aggressive because he's not getting much to hit with Bako/Ross and the pitcher protecting him and now he's chasing more bad pitches than normal. Same with Bruce. He's not getting much to hit with Janish batting second. I think it's time to replace Brook Jacoby. Why in the world was Chris Chambliss let go in the first place?
    We have read or been told something, it escapes my memory right now the exact words, so, but we have been told that Baker has some kind of influence on this free swinging. Any truth to that or not? If so it is hard to blame the lame duck hitting coach.

You guys are going to run me out of town.

I would put both Roenicke and Bailey in the bullpen and bring up Thompson.
    Let Bailey go into the bullpen and fire away with his one trick pony, pitch, fastball.

Why? He needs to make a number of moves later in the year and over the winter, but there is no way that any moves he would be able to make right now would have any impact on what will turn out to be about a 73 win season. Too may holes to cover and too many kids on the roster. So yea, he can DFA Corey flippin' Patterson and call up Dickerson but that hardly solves the problem of RF, SS, C, middle relief or the 3rd spot in the rotation. And on June 14th, there are probably not many moves to be made outside the organization. We just need to suffer at least 1 more year and maybe Walt can put a decent team together for '09 (oh, and fix the coaching staff).
    This place use to be fun

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I tend to agree with FCB here; if the move involves acquiring a player from outside our organization, then it happens just as much on the other club's timetable as ours. We have about 3-4 weeks until that market heats up.

My fear here is that Castellini has done so much talking about "win now," and will be so afraid of being charged as a just-like-Lindner hypocrite if he signs off on deals for Dunn or Griffey or both, that he won't let Jocketty do what Walt thinks ought to be done.
    Not all who wander are lost

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I tend to agree with FCB here; if the move involves acquiring a player from outside our organization, then it happens just as much on the other club's timetable as ours. We have about 3-4 weeks until that market heats up.

My fear here is that Castellini has done so much talking about "win now," and will be so afraid of being charged as a just-like-Lindner hypocrite if he signs off on deals for Dunn or Griffey or both, that he won't let Jocketty do what Walt thinks ought to be done.
    I'm sure Walt has the greenlight to unload Griffey, and I don't care if Dunn's kept.

I know that Keppinger will be back soon and that will help, but our hitters are so predictable that the opposition knows who to avoid and who to pitch to.
    If we can get Keppinger back here the lineup will be to a point where it won't matter much, I mean they might be able to win some of these one or two run games, Bakers order won't matter much if the lineup is stuffed 1-7. Except he will probably bat Bruce leadoff with Keppinger behind him, instead of the other way around. Lincoln can go, surely there is something in the minors that can pitch one clean inning.

My first hope is that Wayne cans Dusty. I would never pay what the Reds are for a manager. I would most certainly not pay that for Dusty Baker. I cringe even thinking about the fact he might ruin some of our best talent in the next few years. He makes so many simple errors and yet he's paid like a key player on this team. I don't see that as a good thing, not at all.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Your moves are cosmetic. This team can't undergo the deep and necessary changes until the deadline and the offseason.
    I completely agree.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I have been complaining about this for a while now. The reds just don't seem to have a clue when it comes to working the count and having good atbats. Griffey in the 8th was absolutly awful today. With a 3-0 count with runners on 1st and 3rd the only pitch you should dare swing at is a grooved one. Hitting one off the hands just isn't worth it. With Griffey it has almost come to the point where you have to tell him when he can swing and when he can't swing.

It is refresing to watch the Red Sox play baseball. They just seem to play a fundamentally sound game. Does it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. But it sure beats watching the Reds play poorly.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Benji Molina and Pudge would likely both be an upgrade. I think Pudge is in the last year of his deal and Molina has one more after this year. Paul LoDuca even wouldn't be the worst consideration he at least has his strong points even at his age. But that's for a starter, Bako really isn't a bad backup the way he has hit this season. He is actually pretty high defensively this year in every aspect compared to all catchers in baseball.

He's in the upper 1/3 of the league in throwing out baserunners 11 out of 38 which is about 30%. He has .996 Fld% w/ 4 errors and has 3 PB's. Not really bad.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-14-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?