There are way too many awful players on this team right now. The catching situation has to be the worst in baseball. David Ross can't catch or hit. Paul Bako's strong point is supposedly his defense, yet it's been nearly non-existent. It seems like half his throws go into the outfield, and he's awful at blocking pitches. He handed the Red Sox two runs today and ultimately the game with his throwing error and passed ball. Valentin is listed as a catcher but he's more of a DH than anything. Jocketty's number one goal should be upgrading the catching position.

On to David Weathers. He had yet another rough outing today as he allowed a run on three hits plus a walk in one inning. It could have been a lot worse if not for the Boston third base coach sending a runner home and getting him thrown out by 10 feet. Weathers gets rocked every time he pitches. It's time to release or trade him and bring up Josh Roenicke from Louisville. Roenicke has a 2.70 ERA and 37 strikeouts in 30 innings between Chattanooga and Louisville. Replacing Weathers with Roenicke is a big upgrade to the bullpen IMO.

Another move I'd make is DFA'ing Corey Patterson and replacing him with Chris Dickerson. Dickerson has heated up in June and couldn't possibly do any worse than Patterson. Dickerson will at least take a walk for you and his defense is considered top notch.

Finally, I'd start fielding offers for Griffey. I'd offer him up to the Rays for Jeff Niemann and see if the Rays won't bite. Rob Dibble reported on the Fox pregame show today that the Rays have expressed interest in Griff. I love the guy but it's time to move on. I've been waiting on him to go on a hot streak but it just hasn't happened yet. I'm still shocked that he swung at that 3-0 pitch in the 8th inning today. That was easily one of the worst atbats I have seen.