Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Robert Manuel

Robert Manuel

I may have missed this....

Robert Manuel looks like a really good pitcher. 56K's in 42innings pitched. A really low ERA (about a combined 1.30 or there abouts). A regular BABIP - (.299), thus showing that he hasn't been lucky.

Why not keep moving him up the ladder? He appears to be able to handle AA pretty well. His stats look like the kind of player who could make the jump to MLB by the end of the year.

Here's my question: What does he throw? What does the organization feel about him? How did we aquire him?

The more i see of this years version of the Reds, the more i feel it's time to evaluate talent and get some feet wet. With pitchers- there's always an adjustment period -the team might as well bite the bullet and get their young pitchers some experience.

Dusty does not know how to spot guys in the BP -so they have to be lights out, high K/inn pitchers. The team should surround him with as many of those guys as possible (Josh R., Manuel, Geronimo, Bray, Burton , Coco, and maybe Bailey). Pitchers that use finesse cannot survive Bakers useage patterns.

Let's see the young guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Robert Manuel

Got him from the NYM for Dave Williams (yeah that one from the Casey to Pitt trade).

And he seems to have turned a corner (H/9) or he just got off to a fast start.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-14-2008 at 10:45 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I may have missed this....

Robert Manuel looks like a really good pitcher. 56K's in 42innings pitched. A really low ERA (about a combined 1.30 or there abouts). A regular BABIP - (.299), thus showing that he hasn't been lucky.

Why not keep moving him up the ladder? He appears to be able to handle AA pretty well. His stats look like the kind of player who could make the jump to MLB by the end of the year.

Here's my question: What does he throw? What does the organization feel about him? How did we aquire him?

The more i see of this years version of the Reds, the more i feel it's time to evaluate talent and get some feet wet. With pitchers- there's always an adjustment period -the team might as well bite the bullet and get their young pitchers some experience.

Dusty does not know how to spot guys in the BP -so they have to be lights out, high K/inn pitchers. The team should surround him with as many of those guys as possible (Josh R., Manuel, Geronimo, Bray, Burton , Coco, and maybe Bailey). Pitchers that use finesse cannot survive Bakers useage patterns.

Let's see the young guys.
    He doesn't know how to properly utilize anyone. The roster will have to be perfect for the team to win. Even then it won't live up to its potential.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Manuel is the kind of guy (see: Guevara) that Krivsky would let go of all the while giving the Lincoln's, Coffey's, Stanton's, and Majewski's crazy opportunities to keep failing.

I'm glad this thread was started because Manuel deserves some recognition for his performance. And he's not even 25 and doing it at AA. A decent pitching prospect that has netted actual results. He could take McBeth's spot on the 40-man roster. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Manuel is the kind of guy (see: Guevara) that Krivsky would let go of all the while giving the Lincoln's, Coffey's, Stanton's, and Majewski's crazy opportunities to keep failing.

I'm glad this thread was started because Manuel deserves some recognition for his performance. And he's not even 25 and doing it at AA. A decent pitching prospect that has netted actual results. He could take McBeth's spot on the 40-man roster. Why not?
    Umm, Manuel's the kind of guy that Krivsky was grabbing left and right? I can't agree with your assessment. What had Krivsky done to hold back Manuel?

I was surprised by your comment because this is about the third or fourth post that has been started recently about any number of these minor league guys Krivsky pulled in during his time here.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Manuel is the type of pitcher who has great control and hits his spots. If he misses his spots though, his stuff, at least in the past, hasn't been good enough to get by guys unless he really hit his spots.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Umm, Manuel's the kind of guy that Krivsky was grabbing left and right? I can't agree with your assessment. What had Krivsky done to hold back Manuel?

I was surprised by your comment because this is about the third or fourth post that has been started recently about any number of these minor league guys Krivsky pulled in during his time here.
    My point was that Manuel is the kind of decent looking young reliever that would never get a chance to help out the big club under Krivsky.

Collect all thre young prospects you want. Makes little difference if they never get a chance. I like all the promotions I'm seeing under Jocketty right now.

My point was that Manuel is the kind of decent looking young reliever that would never get a chance to help out the big club under Krivsky.

Collect all thre young prospects you want. Makes little difference if they never get a chance. I like all the promotions I'm seeing under Jocketty right now.
    I can't agree with your assumption. The fact is that many of these minor league prospects that Krivsky accumulated have not been ready for the big club thus far. WK's brief time with the club never allowed us to see what he would have done as these guys progressed, although I, for one, was seeing regular advancement by these guys. While Krivsky had a step by step approach to minor league development with players moving up level by level, we're just now getting to where his minor league acquisitions are arriving at the upper echelon of the system.

I'm not looking to turn this subject into a Wayne discussion, but I don't see any evidence to back up your position that Manuel, a player acquired by Krivsky, was never going to get a shot under the old GM. I just don't think there's a basis in fact for that assertion.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Guevara. There is no acceptable reason that he was never given a shot and then left unprotected.

Also, there is no way to prove it, but I bet Danny Herrera nevers sees Cincinnati in 2008 under Krivsky's watch.

Guevara. There is no acceptable reason that he was never given a shot and then left unprotected.

Also, there is no way to prove it, but I bet Danny Herrera nevers sees Cincinnati in 2008 under Krivsky's watch.
    So one pitcher, taken in the Rule 5 draft, who has made just four appearances with the Padres with a 5.79 ERA is what you're basing this on? And I don't get why you would suspect that about Herrera. Why on earth would Krivsky trade for a player and then squash them? I understand you say you can't prove it, so its a moot point.

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    So one pitcher, taken in the Rule 5 draft, who has made just four appearances with the Padres with a 5.79 ERA is what you're basing this on? And I don't get why you would suspect that about Herrera. Why on earth would Krivsky trade for a player and then squash them? I understand you say you can't prove it, so its a moot point.
    The fact that he has made appearances with the Padres makes my point, especially when he never even got a promotion to AAA while dominating AA under Krivsky. And Herrera was a throw-in anyway, just like Manuel.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Turn Off Ads?