Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stubbs named MVP of FSL All-Star game

Re: Stubbs named MVP of FSL All-Star game

I will be very happy if Stubbs goes to AA and tears the cover off the ball, I just haven't seen anything from Billings and Sarasota to make me feel like this will happen. The kid has got some strengths but he needs to start putting it all together on a consistent basis, not just in spurts.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm a Stubbs supporter, but the wild disconnect about expectations has to be understood in light of the fact Wayne passed on Tim Lincecum to take Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Francisco at A sarasota? An intruiging prospect for many on this board?

.776 OPS and on the Midwest All-star team.

Stubbs at A sarasota? A horriffic bust for many on this board?

.773 OPS and on the Midwest All-star team.

I just don't understand the wild disconnect in some people's expectations and from what a nice reality it is in the here and now. He is OPSing .380, stealing a ton of bags, and has shown decent pop for a league where pop goes to die (in general). He has, by all accounts, been as good as he was supposed to be with the glove.

Stubbs is NOT a bust, is NOT busting, and has earned his way to AA. I hope the move comes next week.
    Francisco DOB: 6/24/1987
    Stubbs DOB: 10/04/1984

Stubbs was also a first round pick.

And Francisco posses about every tool other than walking right now, so there is hope he can figure that out. Stubbs plays good defense, has good speed, walks a lot, and strikes out a lot.

I wouldn't label Stubbs a bust either, but that is why many people are happier with Francisco. If Stubbs ever posted a .378 OBP with his speed and defense in the majors nobody would complain.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-15-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't give a flying piggy where Stubbs was drafted, frankly. Or whom he was drafted over.

Fact is, he is performing at a very fine level in a very tough hitters league, and making improvements. I am with many others in this forum who have tired of the rush to bury reds prospects at too early a juncture. I have high hopes for francisco. I have high hopes for Stubbs. I am glad the reds have both of those players in their organization. But I think it is insane to hammer one because he was drafted high and be happy with the other because he was drafted lower.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Stubbs at A sarasota? A horriffic bust for many on this board?

.773 OPS and on the Midwest All-star team.

I just don't understand the wild disconnect in some people's expectations and from what a nice reality it is in the here and now.
    Ruben Mateo had an OPS of .860 in the FSL as a 19 year old back in '97. I've got many fond memories of him patrolling the outfield in Cincy.

Stubbs simply has not been impressive. If he were a 10th round pick, you'd be hearing nary a word about him at all. He hasn't performed in hitters leagues, he hasn't performed in pitchers leagues. If he makes it to the majors at all, it'll be on the strength of his glove.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if he ever plays in Cincinnati.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 06-15-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Again, I don't care where he was picked. And good for Mateo. And as he advanced, he didn't pan out. Stuff happens.

And I think if Stubbs was picked 43rd round and OPSing .773 with a .380 OBP and that kind of speed and glove work, we would be hearing about him all day long and into the night with this board crowing about how awesome he was.

Silly that where he was picked colors the analysis. He is what he is. And what he is is not all that bad. In fact, it's actually quite promising. Time to move him to AA and see if he will continue to advance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

And I think if Stubbs was picked 43rd round and OPSing .773 with a .380 OBP and that kind of speed and glove work, we would be hearing about him all day long and into the night with this board crowing about how awesome he was.
    There aren't a lot of 23 year old "prospects" that with OPS's south of .800 that generate a lot of buzz. RedsZone doesn't count -- most people here only follow Reds prospects closely, so we tend to be a bit myopic when it comes to objectively judging our prospects.

BTW -- Stubbs has an OBP of .380 and an SLG of .396. You can discount draft round, but the early buzz on him during the draft was that there were serious questions about whether he'd be able to make the transition from aluminum to wood. I think he's answered those questions, but not with the response anyone in the Reds organization wanted.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Ruben Mateo had an OPS of .860 in the FSL as a 19 year old back in '97. I've got many fond memories of him patrolling the outfield in Cincy.

Stubbs simply has not been impressive. If he were a 10th round pick, you'd be hearing nary a word about him at all. He hasn't performed in hitters leagues, he hasn't performed in pitchers leagues. If he makes it to the majors at all, it'll be on the strength of his glove.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if he ever plays in Cincinnati.
    He'd be on the radar...not like he is now though. And oh how he would be pimped since he was the ASG MVP. After that he might even be one of the prospects who gets to sit at the Redszone "cool table" at lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Francisco DOB: 6/24/1987
    Stubbs DOB: 10/04/1984

Stubbs was also a first round pick.

And Francisco posses about every tool other than walking right now, so there is hope he can figure that out. Stubbs plays good defense, has good speed, walks a lot, and strikes out a lot.

I wouldn't label Stubbs a bust either, but that is why many people are happier with Francisco. If Stubbs ever posted a .378 OBP with his speed and defense in the majors nobody would complain.
    He also makes a ton of errors at the 3rd base position, although he alledgedly has a strong arm it's apparently more erratic than Felipe Lopez's or his glove is. Whatever the case he has more flaws than one, but that big one is a HUGE one. He isn't just swinging at alot of pitcher's pitches and stuff just out of the zone, he swings at stuff thrown behind him practically. He has a long way to go but fortunately he is still rather young.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Drew Stubbs is a fine prospect. His transition to wood has gone fine. In fact, he has seemingly gotten better at each level he has played.

Turn Off Ads?