Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Homer Bailey

I'd like to see him go back to just reaching back and just throwing as hard as he can, who cares if he runners steal on him, I dont like the 89-90 mph Homer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey

I'd put Homer in the bullpen for right now and let him work on some things and have a better chance of getting hitters out.

Senor Votto

Why not let him go back to the way he was pitching last year? At least he was hitting 95+ then.

Watching him on the mound and in the dugout today, I see a lot more frustration than anger, unlike the past. As odd as it sounds, I think that's a promising sign.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He looks worse than he did last year....

He's pitching for the wrong team. He should be in Louisville right now, cuz something is wrong. He's all over the plate, weak FB, little movement on that FB too. The bender he threw to Beckett was nice, but he didn't trust it enough to throw it to a real hitter. I see a bad pitcher right now.

I don't know that Thompson is the answer, I just know Bailey isn't right now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Here's my question...even if he wanted to, could he reach back and throw at 95-96? I don't believe he can.

What happened to his velocity?? And why does he refuse to use more of his offspeed stuff?

anyone notice him shaking his hand and rubbing his pants a lot like maybe he's got blisters or something wrong with his hands?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I missed the first three innings, therefore I missed all of Homer's start ;-(

If he's only hitting 89, 90 with his fastball, he is worthless. He needs to be hitting 95 and if he's not they need to sit him down, something is wrong. You don't just lose 5 MPH of velocity off your fastball in one year for no reason. Homer with a fastball of 94-95 wasn't very good (although I still had high hopes for him). Homer with a fastball of 89-90 is a AAA pitcher at best. He has a minor injury (at best) or a major injury (at worst) if his fastball has dropped 5 MPH in one year. Sit him down if he can't hit 94-95 like he could last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Why not let him go back to the way he was pitching last year? At least he was hitting 95+ then.
    I don't know that it's that simple. I don't think he could throw 96 right now if he wanted to. The unfortunate thing is he did look better last year. With the stuff he has right now he has no business being in the major leagues

He was getting it up to 93 today. He still has the velocity, but nothing to go with it. I'm also not sure the Reds have anyone to help him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Someone has to pitch in the 5 spot and the answer is not Bailey. It had better not be Fogg or Belisle.

I think it is time for Maloney or Thompson to get a shot.

Big Bob said on TV today that they are going to wait to see what happens in the next three weeks and then it may be time to let the young guys to get more playing time.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I missed the first three innings, therefore I missed all of Homer's start ;-(

If he's only hitting 89, 90 with his fastball, he is worthless. He needs to be hitting 95 and if he's not they need to sit him down, something is wrong. You don't just lose 5 MPH of velocity off your fastball in one year for no reason. Homer with a fastball of 94-95 wasn't very good (although I still had high hopes for him). Homer with a fastball of 89-90 is a AAA pitcher at best. He has a minor injury (at best) or a major injury (at worst) if his fastball has dropped 5 MPH in one year. Sit him down if he can't hit 94-95 like he could last year.
    Arroyo is lucky to touch 90 MPH and he's a big league pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'd put Homer in the bullpen for right now and let him work on some things and have a better chance of getting hitters out.
    Looks like a bullpen pitcher to me, rare back and let it fly, inning over, Bailey sets them down one two three in the seventh, and his night is over.

I disagree with you on Thompson, if any Reds pitchers in the minors were ready based upon what they have shown, it would have to be Thompson for me because he has pitched well from the start of his season in AA to AAA so far. The rest of the suspects for starting pitching have struggled in one part or another of their seasons, Thompson has shown he can pitch.

I agree with you on Roenicke in relief.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Arroyo is lucky to touch 90 MPH and he's a big league pitcher.

Two completely different kinds of pitchers. Arroyo has a curve and can change speeds.

Turn Off Ads?