Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Re: Homer Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That may be but do we know how accurate the NESN reading is? I'm not saying he didn't suck but I know he hit 95 on that gun. Beckett may have been at 93 a few times but I don't recall him hitting 95. Maybe the gun at GAB was the type they used on him when scouting him in high school. But he doesn't need to throw 95 to be successful. Of course he's got a long way to go before he is considered a success. We can't even blame Dusty this time.
    I'm 99 percent sure Beckett hit 95 on TBS's gun while Homer was at 91,92 all day.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I agree that Ted Power and Dick Pole certainly haven't helped Bailey, if he can be made into starter, Harang might be able to help him too.
    I don't even know what qualifies Ted Power -- a reliever for most of his career -- to coach someone like Homer Bailey.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I know this I tweaked him a bit on my MLB2K7 for PS3 and he's my staff ace in '12. I played a game with him last night and K'ed 16, mostly with a filthy change-up and outstanding control/command.

So for now the dream lives on, until dies for sure.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The thing I am beginning to wonder about is how much he suffered from his arm injury last year. He seems to have been a different pitcher up to the time he suffered that injury. I think it would be a very good idea to have a coach check him out, and see if it was that injury that might be responsible for some of this lost velocity. Everything can go from there. If 91-92 is the best he can do from now on, the Reds need to know that. He can learn to throw that 91-92 fastball for strikes, and also work on developing his secondary pitches. He will need to be properly coached, however, and their is a good chance he will need to spend the next couple years in the minor leagues.

That may be but do we know how accurate the NESN reading is?
    NESN tends to match Gameday so closely that we were wondering a while back if they're just using that instead of a radar gun.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The thing I am beginning to wonder about is how much he suffered from his arm injury last year. He seems to have been a different pitcher up to the time he suffered that injury. I think it would be a very good idea to have a coach check him out, and see if it was that injury that might be responsible for some of this lost velocity. Everything can go from there. If 91-92 is the best he can do from now on, the Reds need to know that. He can learn to throw that 91-92 fastball for strikes, and also work on developing his secondary pitches. He will need to be properly coached, however, and their is a good chance he will need to spend the next couple years in the minor leagues.

I thought he had a groin injury last year, not an arm injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Even at his peak, I don't see how Homer ever projected as a starter at the major league level. He's never had three good pitches. If he checks out physically, I'd move him to the 'pen, probably in Louisville for now, 'cause I just don't see that he's starter material.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't even know what qualifies Ted Power -- a reliever for most of his career -- to coach someone like Homer Bailey.
    I don't either. I don't think that the Reds have any outstanding pitching coaches. Seems like most of the pitchers are swim or drown on their own, especially since most Reds pitching comes from outside the Reds organization that they have. Is Cueto the only home grown talent that the Reds have pitching for them? and he is still learning or is that struggling under Reds coaching.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-15-2008 at 08:19 PM.

I thought he had a groin injury last year, not an arm injury.
    It was, I got the injury wrong. My point still stands- is he still suffering some from last year's injury?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

That may be but do we know how accurate the NESN reading is? I'm not saying he didn't suck but I know he hit 95 on that gun. Beckett may have been at 93 a few times but I don't recall him hitting 95. Maybe the gun at GAB was the type they used on him when scouting him in high school. But he doesn't need to throw 95 to be successful. Of course he's got a long way to go before he is considered a success. We can't even blame Dusty this time.
    No idea how accurate the NESN gun is.

The NESN gun had Beckett consistently at 95, and I remember twice he was 96 and 97. Maybe it's the movement on Beckett's fastball, but it looked more than 3 mph faster than Bailey's fastball.

You're right, Bailey's troubles have nothing to do with The Dusty. That's a relief, sorta.

Homer definitely "projected" as a starter. Coming out of high school, he had a 97 mph fastball and a hammer curve. When he was pitching last year, gameday would have him throwing a breaking ball with eighteen inches downward break. If you have two pitches like that, all you have to do is develop some kind of change--just a mediocre one--to be a good starter. When I heard the talk about getting him to throw a slider, I knew they were screwing around with his arm angle and stride; his stride used to be longer and he threw more over the top. He has been mismanaged and mis-coached and now he's probably got no future in Cincinnati, but his stuff coming out of high school and in the low minors was the stuff of a great starting pitcher. This is another monument to the absurdly incompetent Cincinnati staff at all levels. The only thing to hope for is that Jocketty--and hopefully this guy he's bringing in will be the catalyst for this--will bring thorough-going change throughout the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It was, I got the injury wrong. My point still stands- is he still suffering some from last year's injury?

I doubt if a groin injury is going to linger through the offseason. Especially since he made a couple of starts down the stretch last year.

Of course if you and others are confusing Homer's groin with his arm, perhaps he needs have a chat with Javy.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Here's one thing we learned about Homer Bailey today - he's not the next Josh Beckett (as was theorized at various points in the past).

You got to see Josh Beckett today (albeit a mature Josh Beckett) and Homer Bailey in no way, shape or form merits comparison. The kid is nowhere near that type of dominator. Beckett always was that kind of dominator - 1.75 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, 12.29 K/9 in the minors.

The real question is whether the Reds will finally recognize the gulf between the Homer Bailey they want and the Homer Bailey they've got. My take has always been that Bailey's ridiculous overhype is undercutting his development. The kid has talent and could someday become a quality major league pitcher, but it's not going to happen with the Reds unless the organization takes a radically different approach with him. They've blown two options on a kid who's had zero business pitching in the majors.

Now he's 22, a proven non-phenom, with one more option year remaining and probably two or three more years in front of him before he's a pitcher the Reds will want to keep on a 25-man roster for an entire season. That can be managed if the organization is proactive and patient and stops pretending Bailey is something he isn't.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Even at his peak, I don't see how Homer ever projected as a starter at the major league level. He's never had three good pitches. If he checks out physically, I'd move him to the 'pen, probably in Louisville for now, 'cause I just don't see that he's starter material.
    OMG, out of high school he was a scout's dream......
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    FSN had a side shot of Bailey and Beckett throwing today. Very similar in terms of delivery but Bailey wasn't loading his throw like Beckett, and wasn't able to get on top of the pitches. Chris Welch broke it down very well, at least to my untrained mind. It really shows why he isn't getting the zip on his pitches and movement.
    I also thought Welsh did a god job pointing out another of Homer's major flaws.... a consistent repeatable delivery. He doesn't have one.

I don't buy the reasoning that the Reds have screwed this kid up. Possible, but improbable IMHO. Have they screwed up Cueto, Maloney, and Thompson? At some point that athlete has to look deep down inside and find it (if he has it).

We're not going anywhere this year. Keep working with him at this level, and through the remainder of the season. Lets don't be so quick to dump him back to AAA. That may shatter any remnant of confidence he has. But keep him on the roster until late season, give him a chance to show improvement and possibly till we can make late season call ups like a Maloney or Thompson.

But at some point and time we have to see what we have in this 22 yr old. And that is another key issue.... he's only 22.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My take has always been that Bailey's ridiculous overhype is undercutting his development.
    I thoroughly agree.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-15-2008 at 08:48 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?