Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thompson and Roenicke soon?

Thompson and Roenicke soon?

Hal McCoy , said Dusty brought up Darryl Thompson and Josh Roenicke as 2 players coming fast and passing others in Reds plans.

Way McCoy made it sound both could be in Cincy very soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thompson and Roenicke soon?

It's too soon for Thompson. He needs a few more months in AAA before I'd bring him up. If he's still pitching well come September then I'd maybe call him up then for a couple September starts.

Roenicke, OTOH, should be up now.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If Thompson gets called up over Matt Maloney, that would be quite unfortunate. But either Weathers or Majewski could be jettisoned for Roenicke.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If Fogg is healthy (or close), I would just stick him back in the rotation. I don't want to see Thompson up here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If Fogg is healthy (or close), I would just stick him back in the rotation. I don't want to see Thompson up here yet.

Now that's a long-term Reds fan. And I think that's exactly what the Reds will do. There is no Reds prospect who is ready to handle the fifth starter's spot, including the guy currently in that role. Fogg, for all his issues, is the logical stop gap.

Now we'll hear all the Fogg bashing if it happens, and I'd rather it be somebody better, but the Reds just don't have five starters now. I think it will be Fogg until Thompson is ready, perhaps as late as September.

Roenicke just got to AAA recently, but is an older, more experienced prospect. I'd bring him up at the all-star break.

An interesting stat to me Daryl Thompson is slightly older than Homer Bailey. But even more surprising is he has made 90 minor league starts to Bailey's 73. So as far as experience Thompson already has more than Bailey did before his major league debut Bailey had only 64 when he was called up.

So perhaps the Reds will wait with Thompson after rushing Bailey so quickly. Another tongue in cheek thought Homer is a terrible name for a pitcher , he should go back to his given name of David to change his karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Now that's a long-term Reds fan. And I think that's exactly what the Reds will do. There is no Reds prospect who is ready to handle the fifth starter's spot, including the guy currently in that role. Fogg, for all his issues, is the logical stop gap.

Now we'll hear all the Fogg bashing if it happens, and I'd rather it be somebody better, but the Reds just don't have five starters now. I think it will be Fogg until Thompson is ready, perhaps as late as September.

Roenicke just got to AAA recently, but is an older, more experienced prospect. I'd bring him up at the all-star break.
    I want to be optimistic, but I think it's time to start being realistic. The Reds are just not poised to make any noise this year. The good thing is, with some moves after the break and during the offseason, they could actually be a contender as opposed to a pretender next season.

I really hope Daryl Thompson is not called up this season.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I really hope Daryl Thompson is not called up this season.
    If Thompson continues to do well for the coming weeks/months, I'd have no problem with a September callup.

I wouldn't mind the Fogg move, assuming that would make him a Type A free agent, thereby allowing the Reds the opportunity to offer arbitration for draft picks. (Pretty certain Fogg would go nowhere near Cincinnati after this season.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If Thompson continues to do well for the coming weeks/months, I'd have no problem with a September callup.
    Yeah I suppose I could live with that. I don't want him up anytime in the next couple of months though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I wouldn't mind the Fogg move, assuming that would make him a Type A free agent, thereby allowing the Reds the opportunity to offer arbitration for draft picks. (Pretty certain Fogg would go nowhere near Cincinnati after this season.)
    Josh Fogg won't sniff being anywhere near netting the Reds a compensation pick, much less being Type A. He missed the Type B cut last offseason, and that's already considering that his 2006 season is worth more in Elias' rankings than his 2008 season will be worth.

The Reds traded Kyle Lohse for Matt Maloney last season because there wasn't any way that Lohse was going to make the cut for compensation either.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I don't like the Fogg idea, but I like it better than Thompson/Maloney and the like. It's been pointed out that it's too soon, Thompson doesn't even have a good offspeed pitch yet. I would give Matt Belisle another shot but I see he's been stuck back in the pen down in louisville. Good grief, how about Justin Mallet he's got more K's than BB's and IP and less hits than IP.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I agree with the Creeper, Masterson (Bos) had less starts than these guys and he's looking like a stud, Bailey's got major major mechanical problems and Thompson doesnt according to Creeper, he should be brought up since theyre done anyway. Also they just had B Cast on and he's thinking the Reds need to see if they can still win this thing.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I agree with the Creeper, Masterson (Bos) had less starts than these guys and he's looking like a stud, Bailey's got major major mechanical problems and Thompson doesnt according to Creeper, he should be brought up since theyre done anyway. Also they just had B Cast on and he's thinking the Reds need to see if they can still win this thing.
    Yeah and more or less gave them about 3-4 weeks to get things turned around.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?