Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why is Jay Bruce...

Why is Jay Bruce...

swinging at the first pitch he sees now in like 85% of his at bats. His first week or two up he rarely did this now he is doing it almost every time. I don't know the stats on it but I dont think he has had many hits when he swings at the first pitch and hits it in play. I wish he would go back to working the count more.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why is Jay Bruce...

It's called "The Dusty Effect."

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I brought this up last week. He's lacking plate discipline right now and it's costing him.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I don't like him batting in the leadoff spot either.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce4HOF View Post
    seriously what's with this. Why would any manager teach that on a day in day out basis. And why would the players listen.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce4HOF View Post
    BS, Bruce is known to be a bit of (as some of you guys like to call it) a Hacker
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 06-15-2008 at 07:26 PM.

got alil captain in u?

Bruce is probably feeling the pressure of being the leadoff man. He just needs to go back to his patient approach.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    Bruce is probably feeling the pressure of being the leadoff man. He just needs to go back to his patient approach.
    IIRC, I he was hacking before he started leading off. Regardless of where you are in the lineup, you need plate discipline.

Watching him in Louisville reminds me of how he did today with his lack of plate discipline. He admits he's somewhat of a 'hacker' anyway, but I think he needs to find a balance. Personally, I don't mind players swinging at the first pitch if they like the pitch, but I just don't want him to become accustomed to having the bat ready no matter what pitch is thrown. However, yesterday with Wakefield, I think he deserves a pass since I'm sure he hasn't seen many straight knuckleballers. Patience. Patience.

ORG Infidel

It seems like a lot of these guys come up and play well at first then we all think they will never slump or have a bad outing. It happens to young players. Scouting reports get around the league and they have to learn to adjust. Bruce will.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    BS, Bruce is known to be a bit of (as some of you guys like to call it) a Hacker

Indeed. At one point this season in AAA, he had 25 strikeouts vs. only 5 walks - which is why I was completely supportive of the Reds leaving him in Louisville as long as they did. Really hope he learns to have more discipline at the plate - as that right there could mean the difference in him being just another star and being an MVP, in my opinion.

I've always thought this was quite simple, since I grew up in Dayton and watched the BRM from '75 on. Pete Rose, the man who has the most hits in the history of the game, hardly ever swung at the first pitch. So why wouldn't this be taught, emulated, copied and shoved down young hitters throats? Certainly at least in the Reds organization.

Nothing annoys me more as I watch the Reds play everyday, than the pathetic at-bats produced by most of the team. One after the other. Inning after inning. I don't know if I've ever seen a more hot and cold team. When they are going good, they are patient, play small ball and execute. As soon as they start losing early, they fall apart and act like they just started playing the game. It's truely maddening.

One thing that I think needs to be done again, and it may be the players union that stopped this, is the manager making players pay fines when they screw up. When did this stop? Why did it stop? I remember reading the daily notes, and seeing the blurbs about players paying when they missed signs, didn't hustle, etc. You know, when they played the game wrong. And it really pissed guys off. And I don't think in a bad way.

(Side note - I always read in amusement when posters here used to get on the Boonies, Dan-O, Narron, Krivsky, etc. for telling reporters that they wanted guys who can play the game right...why wouldn't you want that?)

Yes these guys are loaded, and the fines were small in comparison. But that isn't what made them work. It was being called out for mental mistakes. It was the paper blurb that announced that someone screwed up, let their teammates down.

Today Baseball executives coddle their players like some people now coddle their kids. The players are soft, never to blame, overpaid babies. I swear I thought Homer was going to cry when Dusty took him out yesterday. At least if he did, we'd know he cared.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I've always thought this was quite simple, since I grew up in Dayton and watched the BRM from '75 on. Pete Rose, the man who has the most hits in the history of the game, hardly ever swung at the first pitch. So why wouldn't this be taught, emulated, copied and shoved down young hitters throats? Certainly at least in the Reds organization.
    I've long been of the opinion that if the Gates of Hades became the entrance to Joe Louis Arena (in other words, if Hell froze over and Rose got reinstated) that the Reds should immediately hire him as hitting coach. Or heck, the Reds batters need to seek out Rose's advice. Heck, imagine how much money he'd rake in on consulting fees.

If Rose's advice works for A-Rod, it'd be aces for the Reds.

We have to fire Dusty the bum before he infects all of our players with his worthlessness.

Good News: The line-up tonight has Bruce out of the lead-off spot, which I don't think suited him at all.

Bad News: The worst hitter in Major League Baseball is back at the top.

Turn Off Ads?