Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Its discusting to see Reds fans booing...

Its discusting to see Reds fans booing...

Its discusting to see Reds fans booing a 21 year old trying his best to produce for Cincinnati. It's as if they enjoy seeing one of the best Reds prospects in years fail. This is a guy critical to the Reds future - fans shouild be giving him all the support possible.

I agree with another poster, in another thread, that the Reds haven't given him good coaching. Unless he's injured there's no other explanation for his losing 5mph on his fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Its discusting to see Reds fans booing...

The Reds haven't given him good coaching? (cough)

Doesn't he have to want to be coached to get good coaching??????
    Who's on first?

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

the guys in the Reds unis and on the field are "paid" professionals....if we spend our hard earned cash on tickets, gas to get to the park, food and concessions and the guy on the bump is getting pounded, the only way "regular fans" can express displeasure is by booing...sorry thats the way it is...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    the guys in the Reds unis and on the field are "paid" professionals....if we spend our hard earned cash on tickets, gas to get to the park, food and concessions and the guy on the bump is getting pounded, the only way "regular fans" can express displeasure is by booing...sorry thats the way it is...
    eh, I don't think that is the right set of thinking. Fans go to the game to root on their team, hoping that they play well and win. Remember, each game is a challenge between the Reds and the opposing team. Players fail. It's one thing if a fan were to boo Patterson for his continual terrible ABs, but you're not going to boo someone if they go 0-4 are you? Just because you paid to see them, and they are paid to play? You could maybe make the correlation between a musician/comedian for not putting effort into a show, and thus showing a terrible product, but baseball is a game that one team is going to lose, and with players that will (hopefully) get a hit 3 times in 10 tries. Fans pay to see entertainment in an effort to see their team win, but today I never thought to ask for my money back. (okay, maybe for Patterson being inserted for Griffey, lol).

i spend my hard earned money to watch and support a team i LOVE. do i think they make mistakes? do i get frustrated watching them sometimes? sure. will i boo them? no. i'd rather boo to drown out fans from another town (like i did on saturday) instead of making a young athlete feel even worse about the job he's done.

astonished to see the consideration of the feelings of paid athletes....i wont be swayed....i truly believe the only way to show displeasure is to boo--not to hurl obscenities or be rude...but to just boo....if not, how will they know we are disapproving of their performance...on the flip side, i am the first to cheer or to stand up and cheer when a great play or performance is made...

Quote Originally Posted by dmoe View Post
    i spend my hard earned money to watch and support a team i LOVE. do i think they make mistakes? do i get frustrated watching them sometimes? sure. will i boo them? no. i'd rather boo to drown out fans from another town (like i did on saturday) instead of making a young athlete feel even worse about the job he's done.
    Correct. It's one thing if a player doesn't give a crap about his/her performance in any sport, but it's another thing if they are trying their best and get roughed up. I love the Reds no matter what, but that doesn't make me a homer, nor does it make me get too intense with my displeasure.

I have never hated a Cincinnati Red even 1/10th as much as I do Corey Patterson.....

.....and I *still* wouldn't boo him. Ever. No way. I just don't boo my own team. Those that do look like complete jackasses, in my opinion.

I don't know if it is the losing or what, but Cincinnati fans are among the most negative fans I have ever been around. It is not just that they get down on guys for not producing, but they are incredibly personal in both their attacks and dislike for players. All Reds players are just a big contract, a couple of injuries, or a misinterpreted or mistaken comment away from receiving the type of treatment Homer received today and that Jr. and Dunn and Encarnacion receive from the vocal minority (yet substantial minority) of fans on a regular basis. I've lived in other states and other cities and I have never been around fans who seem to hate their players more than they dislike the opponent. I get getting on guys because of production, but it is the subjective criticisms like calling guys cancers, and jerks without the slightest bit of information or knowledge to back it up is too much to take. Any one with half a brain knows why the Reds have not won in a long time, because their pitching has been lousy and very often bottom of the league lousy. The names change but the name calling and attacking by reds fans does not whether it is Dave Parker, Eric Davis, Hal Morris, Paul O'neil, Reggie Sanders, Barry Larkin, Kevin Mitchell, Ron Gant or the current crop of favorite reds to trash it is all too familiar. So I say to Votto, and Bruce, Volquez and Cueto, Phillips and Keppinger know that your day is coming when you too will hear whether you have good numbers or bad numbers, good guy or bad guy, and if the team is winning or losing that you need to be replaced and that you are a "fill in subjective non-proveable attack" and we need somone else to take your spot.

so when a player like Patterson or Bailey stinks up the joint what do you do? Just sit on your hands? Give a little golf clap when they finally get out of an inning?

Garbage....booing doesnt not make one look like a jack---, it is a way of letting a otherwise unapproachable athlete know you are tired of their lack of performance or talent....

so when a player like Patterson or Bailey stinks up the joint what do you do? Just sit on your hands? Give a little golf clap when they finally get out of an inning?

Garbage....booing doesnt not make one look like a jack---, it is a way of letting a otherwise unapproachable athlete know you are tired of their lack of performance or talent....
    exactly

Bailey has had 3 damn starts this season, and the fact that he probably wouldn't have been the first choice to be called up, but rather the default for what has taken place in the 5th spot of the rotation allows me to sit on my hands for now. Patterson is a 'veteran' and simply can't produce. Bailey 'stinking up the joint' doesn't merit being booed off the field. I'm all for letting players take their lumps in the majors if it's in their best interest, so today while at the game, I didn't react by being pissed off, but rather accepting what is going on right now with the pitching in our system. Sure I'd like to see a Reds victory, but I'm not going to be a hypocrite and blast Bailey (or Cueto, etc) if they get bounced out early.

I'm sure you have direct personal knowledge that Bailey is "unapproachable." You can never convince me that Bailey didn't want to win as much as anyone on that field today.

The point is if you're a Reds fan you want them to win(not just a particular game but to win over the long haul). Booing a young promising pitcher can't possibly help achieve that goal. When you have a bad day at work does being scorned by your co-workers help you do better?

I hate booing..it doesn't help the situation. I believe there should be no booing unless you know a player isn't giving it their all.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

In most cases, i agree that booing isn't going to help anything, but maybe, just maybe with homer bailey it will help him realize he's not the absolute stud he thinks he is, and will be willing to listen to some coaching. If the statements about him are true with being uncoachable, I think he could use some humbling.

Turn Off Ads?