Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why isn't Kyle Lotzkar pitching yet?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Why isn't Kyle Lotzkar pitching yet?

He pitched well in rookie ball last year, why not give him a few shots at Dayton? It looks like they are waiting for Billings' season to start and send him there. But was there an injury I wasn't aware of? I'm surprised a guy the Reds drafted in the supplemental first round last year hasn't even pitched yet this year.

Maybe they want to limit his innings. But if he's not injured (and maybe he is/was) then they should have let him get a couple starts at Dayton just to see how he looked. I don't think it helps the kid not pitching until close to July.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Why isn't Kyle Lotzkar pitching yet?

he actually just made his debut this last week in Dayton.

Oh, good timing on my part to bring this up. Haha.

Thanks for the info. What was the hold up? Was he injured or were they just trying to limit his innings?

He's 18. My impression has been that they are carefully managing his introduction into the minors.

Still strange that they would wait until mid-June for the kid to make his season debut (unless there was a minor injury of some sort).

But I completely understand wanting to take it slow with this kid. He's very young and from Canada (so maybe he's not used to playing baseball until June anyway... lol).

There was a minor injury in extended spring training. He was one of the last guys cut from the Dayton team in ST, but probably for the best given his age. No need to put so much on his arm at this point. He won't turn 19 until after the season, making him easily one of the youngest players in the league.

I assume they are keeping him in Dayton then, since he isn't on Billings roster
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I assume they are keeping him in Dayton then, since he isn't on Billings roster
    Yeah, my guess is he is taking over for Arneson who got shelled in Dayton and is on the Billings roster.

Oooh, that is good news if they are keeping him at Dayton. I like having him and Mesoraco both there. Let's get that young battery to develop some chemistry.

Have to say the early part of last year's draft is looking good so far. I like our top three picks of Mesoraco, Frazier and Lotzkar.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Oooh, that is good news if they are keeping him at Dayton. I like having him and Mesoraco both there. Let's get that young battery to develop some chemistry.

Have to say the early part of last year's draft is looking good so far. I like our top three picks of Mesoraco, Frazier and Lotzkar.
    Don't forget Neftali Soto. He's got 25-30 homerun power and solid plate discipline for a 19-year old kid. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in the Pioneer League.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Don't forget Neftali Soto. He's got 25-30 homerun power and solid plate discipline for a 19-year old kid. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in the Pioneer League.
    I'm hoping Neftali can stick at a more premium position too. SS,3B,CF would be nice even though SS isn't necc. looking to promising.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'm hoping Neftali can stick at a more premium position too. SS,3B,CF would be nice even though SS isn't necc. looking to promising.
    Soto didn't look very good with the glove last year at SS? That's too bad if so. It seems like we have a lot of good prospects who play SS in the minors, but project elsewhere in the majors (Valaika, Frazier... although I have hopes Valaika can be a serviceable defensive MLB shortstop... like a Keppinger).

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Soto didn't look very good with the glove last year at SS? That's too bad if so. It seems like we have a lot of good prospects who play SS in the minors, but project elsewhere in the majors (Valaika, Frazier... although I have hopes Valaika can be a serviceable defensive MLB shortstop... like a Keppinger).
    He had a .913 FP% and 13 errors in 32 games. Over a full MLB season that would be about 67 errors if my math is correct. Surely he would improve but even if he makes 25 errors that's really 7-10 too many to be respectable.

Also I would add that even though he hit well his BABIP was .370 and he K'ed 31 times while walking 11 in 163 PA's. So I am crossing my fingers that he stays relatively productive as he advances/matures. I think he will and I don't know if he has the wheels to move to CF but if he does that might be the next most valuable spot for him.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-16-2008 at 11:58 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?