Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refresh my memory: Why did Josh Roenicke slip so much in the '06 draft?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Refresh my memory: Why did Josh Roenicke slip so much in the '06 draft?

We obviously got a steal with Roenicke in the 10th round of the 2006 draft. However, why was he still available that late? Is that where he was projected to go, or did he slip a bit? I just don't understand how a hard-throwing guy like Roenicke lasted that long. But I'm sure glad he did.

Did he not have a good career at UCLA? Were there injury concerns? Was he a former starter who just caught fire when the Reds turned him into a closer, or was he a closer in college too?

TIA!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Refresh my memory: Why did Josh Roenicke slip so much in the '06 draft?

Josh was converted from outfielder to pitcher late in his career at UCLA. His limited experience , age and having only a fast ball were all reasons why he went in the 10th round.

Josh will be 26 in August, he was almost 24 when drafted.

That's right, I thought he switched sports or something, but it was switched positons (from OF to P like you said). Thanks!
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-16-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That's right, I thought he switched sports or something, but it was switched positons (from OF to P like you said). Thanks!
    He played football at UCLA too, so he was a 2 sport guy as well. He did s=play outfield and pitch out of the pen there too though.

OK, my memory isn't quite as bad as I thought. Thanks. Do you remember what position he played in football? I'm guessing safety.

OK, my memory isn't quite as bad as I thought. Thanks. Do you remember what position he played in football? I'm guessing safety.
    Wide receiver.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I was thinking it was WR....

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Even today, Roenicke has only pitched 114 innings in his college and pro careers combined. He may be about to turn 26 but pitching-wise he's still a pup, which makes his results all the more remarkable.
    Not all who wander are lost

But to answer the question, he fell because of lack of experience pitching and probably needed to work on his secondary pitches, which he has done and that's why he's about ready to reach the majors. A lot of your top relievers in the game today are late round picks. Just for example: Pat Neshek of the Twins was a 6th rounder. Jared Burton was a 8th rounder. J.J. Putz was a 6th rounder. Matt Capps was a 7th rounder. George Sherrill went undrafted. Bobby Jenks was a 5th rounder. That's why I'm not a big fan of drafting relievers in the first round unless you have multiple first round picks. Good relievers can be found in later rounds.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That's why I'm not a big fan of drafting relievers in the first round unless you have multiple first round picks. Good relievers can be found in later rounds.
    Or in the form of failed/converted starters.

Either way I agree completely: Don't draft a reliever in the first two rounds of the draft.
    Go BLUE!!!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Or in the form of failed/converted starters.

Either way I agree completely: Don't draft a reliever in the first two rounds of the draft.
    I would generally agree with that, but I think going for a Huston Street-type isn't all that bad of an idea. A guy who is almost certain to be a future closer is usually worth more than the guy who has less than a 50% chance of being an every-day player or league-average starter.

Ryan Wagner and Sean Watson agree that the Reds shouldn't take relievers in the first two rounds.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Ryan Wagner is evidence that Jim Bowden shouldn't have anything to do with the draft process. The jury is still out on Sean Watson, who is already in AA.

I didn't think Watson was a 2nd rounder? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I thought he was a 3rd or 4th round guy. On the crackberry so its hard for me to check, going mostly of memory. In any case, I am not sure if he really fits in with a wagner type pick, or street for that matter if that is indeed the case.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I didn't think Watson was a 2nd rounder? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I thought he was a 3rd or 4th round guy. On the crackberry so its hard for me to check, going mostly of memory. In any case, I am not sure if he really fits in with a wagner type pick, or street for that matter if that is indeed the case.
    Watson was a 2nd rounder.

Turn Off Ads?