Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billings roster per Billings Gazette, 6/15

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Billings roster per Billings Gazette, 6/15

Doesn't list Zach Stewart or Efrain Contreras. May be an oversight, who knows...

Glad to see Soto there, as well as Means, Day and Sappelt. Junior Martinez is supposed to be a kid with big stuff.

2008 Mustangs Opening Day roster

Pitchers

Jamie Arneson, bats left/throws left, '06 draft (16th round); Leonardo Astorga, R/R, '04 free agent; Josh Beal, R/R, '07 draft (44); Oscar Castro, R/R, '05 free agent; Justin Freeman, R/R, '08 draft (32); Aguido Gonzalez, L/L, '07 free agent; Jordan Hotchkiss, R/R, '07 draft; Will Hudgens, R/R, '08 draft (23); Lance Janke, R/R, '08 draft (14); Randall Linebaugh, R/R, '08 draft (37); Junior Martinez, R/R, '05 free agent; Steve Otterness, L/L, '07 draft (29); Brandon Rice, R/R, '06 draft (11); Dan Zeffiro, R/R, '07 free agent.

Catchers
    Kyle Day, L/R, '08 draft (12); Frank Meade, R/R, '07 draft (24); Jordan Wideman, R/R, '07 draft (11).

Infielders

Brett Bartles, R/R, '07 draft (30); Alex Buchholz, R/R, '08 draft (6); Jose Gualdron, R/R, '05 free agent; Michael Konstanty, R/R, '08 draft (39); Carlos Mendez, R/R, '05 free agent; Miguel Rojas, R/R, '05 free agent; Neftali Soto, R/R, '07 (3).

Outfielders

Tony Brown, L/L, '06 draft (23); Andrew Means, R/R, '08 draft (11); David Sappelt, R/R, '08 draft (9); Matt Stiffler, L/L, '08 draft (27); Tyler Stovall, R/R, '08 draft (20).

Re: Billings roster per Billings Gazette, 6/15

I'm interested in seeing how Junior Martinez does. Apparently Mario Soto likes his arm. Also nice to see Neftali Soto starting in Billings. I thought Stewart was a lock for Billings, maybe he's going to Dayton instead?

Who are the keys to watch other than Soto and Martinez?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Sappelt, Buchholz, Means.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Sappelt, Buchholz, Means.
    I'd also keep an eye on Day, Rice, Gauldron perhaps Widemann as well. Bartles also had a nice productive last season, but I don't really know his ceiling.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'd also keep an eye on Day, Rice, Gauldron perhaps Widemann as well. Bartles also had a nice productive last season, but I don't really know his ceiling.
    Good call on Jordan Wideman. He is supposedly a very good defensive catcher. He's very young, so it will be interesting to watch how his hitting progresses over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Bartles was kind of a big surprise last year, and if I'm not mistaken he started this season at Dayton, and struggled? Don't think he got much playing time if so, with Waring at 3rd as well.

Grande just said on the Telecast that Soto would be going to Billings to help out after he helps Cueto get straightened out a bit.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Aside from the 2008 draftees, I'll be keeping an eye on Neftali Soto, Brandon Rice, and Tony Brown. I'm intrigued by Carlos Mendez's ability to make contact, too. If he can show some power, he might turn into a pretty good prospect.

I'll be watching everyone at Billings. I like seeing guys leap into consideration here or fall into non-prospect status. It's fun seeing lots of these guys get there first pro look, and others there first step onto the 'real' ladder after the GCL and DSL. There are some real intriguing players this year. Sappelt's Jimmy Wynn "Toy Cannon" power, Means speed, Buchholz' bat and how he handles SS, Wideman and Day behind the plate, Astorga and Martinez on the mound, any and all of the college guys from this draft year. Can't wait for play to start.

Is it me or did Cueto look more settled yesterday, Soto needs to be in Cincy full time.

RE: Post #1: Zach Stewart will be going to Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    RE: Post #1: Zach Stewart will be going to Dayton.
    Awesome. That's great to hear.

Sweet. I'm going to the Dayton game on Sunday. I was selfishly hoping Miami would lose last week with the slight chance that Alonso might be in Dayton too, but oh well.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I agree, that is great news about Stewart going to Dayton. Wasn't a big fan of the way the Krivsky regime handled prospects, usually starting them a level too low IMO. Stewart would be going to Billings with the old regime; I agree with the move to send him to Dayton. And if he pitches well, look out. We might have a fast-tracker. I just want to see for myself if his fastball is really in the 95-97 range as reported. If so, I might be buying snacks and beverages for everyone around me at Fifth-Third Field. ;-)

Turn Off Ads?