Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Billings roster per Billings Gazette, 6/15

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Billings roster per Billings Gazette, 6/15

I agree, that is great news about Stewart going to Dayton. Wasn't a big fan of the way the Krivsky regime handled prospects, usually starting them a level too low IMO. Stewart would be going to Billings with the old regime; I agree with the move to send him to Dayton. And if he pitches well, look out. We might have a fast-tracker. I just want to see for myself if his fastball is really in the 95-97 range as reported. If so, I might be buying snacks and beverages for everyone around me at Fifth-Third Field. ;-)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This also tells me that Yonder Alonso will probably start at Sarasota, which is what many of us figured anyway on other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    This also tells me that Yonder Alonso will probably start at Sarasota, which is what many of us figured anyway on other threads.
    If Alonzo didn't start out at least at Sarasota, I would feel like the Reds brass fed us a bunch of crap when they said he was the best hitting prospect in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Sarasota seems like the logical place for him to start. But for selfish reasons I would like to see him start out in Dayton, even if it's just for a month or so. It's really not going to hurt anything if he debuts there for a short while. But whatever they do it's fine with me as long as it's done right.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I played on a team with Tyler Stovall. He was a catcher. Somehow, at Central Michigan, they converted him to an OF. A fast OF. Wtf?

i'm not really familiar with many names,but i'm trying to get used to em
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

Just an update: In one-third of an inning over two outings, Junior 'Big Stuff Waiting on Soto's Help' Martinez has beaned a guy, thrown a wild pitch, and walked five for a WHIP of 15.00. Overall, though, Billings has been pretty dominant, and Neftali Soto is making the opposing pitchers look like batting practice. Tony Brown is off to a good start, too, and worth keeping an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    I played on a team with Tyler Stovall. He was a catcher. Somehow, at Central Michigan, they converted him to an OF. A fast OF.
    Well, it is a known fact that you can run faster without all of the equipment on...
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    I played on a team with Tyler Stovall. He was a catcher. Somehow, at Central Michigan, they converted him to an OF. A fast OF. Wtf?
    Back in the day so did Dale Murphy who came up as a catcher, converted to a fleet footed outfielder often playing CF.

Left-handed pitcher Mace Thurman, a 19th-round pick from Baylor, joined the Mustangs today. Thurman was a teammate at Baylor with Mustangs reliever Randall Linebaugh.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...0-mustangs.txt

NOTES: Outfielder Andrew Means and pitcher Will Hudgens each suited up for their final game with the Mustangs on Sunday. Means is returning to Indiana University where he will be a junior wide receiver, while Hudgens is heading back to the University of Memphis where he will be a senior quarterback. ... Mustangs reliever Mace Thurman threw two more scoreless innings on Sunday. Thurman has still not given up a run in 122/3 innings.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...8-mustangs.txt

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Means is returning to Indiana University where he will be a junior wide receiver
    .634 OPS at Billings?

Means doesn't really need to return. We know enough. There goes a #11 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    .634 OPS at Billings?

Means doesn't really need to return. We know enough. There goes a #11 pick.
    You're joking, right?

Just in case, let me compare Means to Alexis Oliveras, the Reds' #9 pick from 2007.

Code:
     Year  Age Tm  Lg  Lvl Aff   G    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB   SO    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS   SB   CS  SB%  SH  SF IBB HBP GDP
    +----+----+---+---+---+---+----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+----+-----+-----+-----+-----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     2007   18 RDS GCL Rk  CIN   47   162   14   31   4   3   0   13   10   45  .191  .240  .253  .493    1   0 100%   2   2   0   1   2 
     2008   19 RDS GCL Rk  CIN   20    77   17   27   4   2   1   11   10   19  .351  .427  .494  .921    2   4  33%   0   1   0   1   1 
    +----+----+---+---+---+---+----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+----+-----+-----+-----+-----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     2 Seasons         Rk        67   239   31   58   8   5   1   24   20   64  .243  .303  .331  .634    3   4  43%   2   3   0   2   3 
    +-----------------+---+--------+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+----+-----+-----+-----+-----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     2 Seasons                   67   239   31   58   8   5   1   24   20   64  .243  .303  .331  .634    3   4  43%   2   3   0   2   3
    Oliveras had a pathetic debut over a larger sample size, and he's managed to go from what looked like a waste of a number nine pick to a solid prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You're joking, right?

Just in case, let me compare Means to Alexis Oliveras, the Reds' #9 pick from 2007.

Code:
     Year  Age Tm  Lg  Lvl Aff   G    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB   SO    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS   SB   CS  SB%  SH  SF IBB HBP GDP
     2007   18 RDS GCL Rk  CIN   47   162   14   31   4   3   0   13   10   45  .191  .240  .253  .493    1   0 100%   2   2   0   1   2 
     2008   19 RDS GCL Rk  CIN   20    77   17   27   4   2   1   11   10   19  .351  .427  .494  .921    2   4  33%   0   1   0   1   1 
     2 Seasons         Rk        67   239   31   58   8   5   1   24   20   64  .243  .303  .331  .634    3   4  43%   2   3   0   2   3 
    +-----------------+---+--------+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+----+-----+-----+-----+-----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     2 Seasons                   67   239   31   58   8   5   1   24   20   64  .243  .303  .331  .634    3   4  43%   2   3   0   2   3
    Oliveras had a pathetic debut over a larger sample size, and he's managed to go from what looked like a waste of a number nine pick to a solid prospect.
    To be fair, Oliveras was drafted out of High School whereas Means is a college guy.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    To be fair, Oliveras was drafted out of High School whereas Means is a college guy.
    That's a valid point, but I wouldn't say that makes it fair, given the sample size.

Turn Off Ads?