Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Q&A: Phillips Big Part of Reds Future

Re: Q&A: Phillips Big Part of Reds Future

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I love this guy.

His game has its holes, but I love this guy's style. Not saying I necessarily prefer his game to Adam Dunn's, but I would much rather have BP as the face of the franchise, quite frankly.
    There is something to be said for entertainment. Quite frankly I'm not fond of Earl Weaver baseball. It's been said a million times that Dunn is bashed too much here for his failures. It's almost to that point with Phillips, IMO. The guy plays great defense and is an above average offensive 1b. I don't think he deserves half the snarky comments he gets here.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Something tells me if he was slow and took a walk once in awhile you would love him. Just saying.
    Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. If only life were really the black and white simplicity people around like to try and make it. If Phillips didn't smile so much, I bet a lot of people would be a lot unhappier about his crazy platoon splits and double plays. Forgive me for preferring that the dog actually wag the tail.

He's a very productive player all said and done. He hits well for a 2B and plays good defense. I'm glad that he wants to be a leader -- it's certainly better than the opposite. But you're right, at the end of the day I care about production and winning ballgames.

The Indians didn't let Phillips go because he smiled too much. They didn't think he could help them win ballgames. I'd prefer a guy who was more focused actually being productive rather than tell himself that he is and expecting people to follow him because he thinks he should be the captain.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-16-2008 at 11:30 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. If only life were really the black and white simplicity people around like to try and make it. If Phillips didn't smile so much, I bet a lot of people would be a lot unhappier about his crazy platoon splits and double plays. Forgive me for preferring that the dog actually wag the tail.

He's a very productive player all said and done. He hits well for a 2B and plays good defense. I'm glad that he wants to be a leader -- it's certainly better than the opposite. But you're right, at the end of the day I care about production and winning ballgames.

The Indians didn't let Phillips go because he smiled too much. They didn't think he could help them win ballgames. I'd prefer a guy who was more focused actually being productive rather than tell himself that he is and expecting people to follow him because he thinks he should be the captain.
    Yep, Phillips is your average Jeff Branson. What does the Indians complete blunder have to do with this discussion? They made a terrible move and kept Ramon Vasquez over Brandon Phillips, OOPS.

You do realize the guy is gold glove caliber with a .814 ops since April 1, 2007? 43 homers and some serious speed at that. He also brings the RH power dimension this team sorely needs.

He's not exactly terrible. Hackers hurt your feelings just like a K hurts the feelings of your everyday Joe fan. Neither is really something I strive for.

I'd prefer to be positive about one of the very few things I can be as a Reds fan today. Sorry if I find it absurd that you compare him to someone you openly ridicule (Dusty). I'm really not surprised that you only see the subjective things in baseball though. Someone like Phillips doesn't strike me a someone you would really get.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Yep, Phillips is your average Jeff Branson.

You do realize the guy is gold glove caliber with a .814 ops since April 1, 2007? 43 homers and some serious speed at that. He also brings the RH power dimension this team sorely needs.

He's not exactly terrible.
    I'm pretty sure I stated that he's a very productive player. Let me look... Yep, I did. I am glad that Brandon Phillips is our 2B.

Hackers hurt your feelings just like a K hurts the feelings of your everyday Joe fan.
    Hacker's don't hurt my feelings. They hurt their own production.

He's similar to Dusty in his attitude, his supreme confidence in his own abilities. Luckily Brandon's job is to play baseball, something he does well. Dusty's job is to manage. If only Dusty could manage as well as BP plays 2B.

BP frustrates me because I think his mental approach prevents him from being even better than he already is. I think confidence, optimism, and happiness are wonderful things. But if they inhibit a player's ability to improve himself, I reserve the right to comment on that aspect.

I'd prefer to be positive about one of the very few things I can be as a Reds fan today. Sorry if I find it absurd that you compare him to someone you openly ridicule (Dusty). I'm really not surprised that you only see the subjective things in baseball though. Someone like Phillips doesn't strike me a someone you would really get.
    I'm sorry if I find it possible to hold a complex view about a player. I like Phillips a lot. He's one of my favorite Reds. I bet he'd be a ton of fun to hang out with. But I also am frustrated by him because I think he could be better and his attitude limits his ability to address his weaknesses. These aren't contrarian opinions. People have many facets. I don't dislike Dusty Baker the person. I dislike his ability to manage a baseball team. I think Dusty's immense self-confidence prevents him from learning the mechanics of run scoring, something he didn't need to understand as a player. He and Brandon Phillips have very similar personalities and I see no problem with pointing that out. I'm just glad that BP is our 2B and not our manager.

Lastly, I would appreciate it if would keep your words out of my mouth. I get the subjective (I presume you meant objective?) and don't appreciate your characterization of my ability, or inability, to "get" Phillips. If you want to continue the personal attacks, I'm open to a PM.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-17-2008 at 12:42 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

BP frustrates me because I think his mental approach prevents him from being even better than he already is. I think confidence, optimistic, and happiness are wonderful things. But if they inhibit a player's ability to improve himself, I reserve the right to comment on that aspect.
    Yep yep. This is exactly how I feel about Phillips. I love the guy though.

Phillips is my favorite, I get frustrated with him because I believe in him, and I really believe that inside of him is an even better batter than we’ve witnessed, especially when he is facing right handed pitching. No question about his abilities at second, he is a fine second baseman. I don’t like Baker tossing Phillips to the wolves against right hander’s in the cleanup spot, I don’t think that serves Brandon or the team well.

They call me "chef"

Phillips is the new Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Phillips is the new Dunn.
    Not Dunn or Phillips, IMHO.

Patterson is the sole owner of that position now and Patterson can thank the man that insisted on him leading off regardless of the outcome.

Phillips is a good player and a good infielder. That's as far as I go. He's streaky at bat and his fielding is always above average. A leader? In his own mind maybe. To me, he isn't a franchise player--just a good infielder. And he should never bat cleanup. Ever. Like (shudder) the once and famous Pokey Reese, he get enamored with hitting for power and hurts the club in the process. I like him. I ant to keep him, but he ain't no leader. I prefer to say he's a good .260-batting second baseman with some power. that's all.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I don't understand how people can comment on his leadership abilities from the comfort of their homes.

Unless you've been a fly on the wall in the clubhouse quite a bit, I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of us know how well-suited he is for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Phillips is a good player and a good infielder. That's as far as I go. He's streaky at bat and his fielding is always above average. A leader? In his own mind maybe. To me, he isn't a franchise player--just a good infielder. And he should never bat cleanup. Ever. Like (shudder) the once and famous Pokey Reese, he get enamored with hitting for power and hurts the club in the process. I like him. I ant to keep him, but he ain't no leader. I prefer to say he's a good .260-batting second baseman with some power. that's all.
    He's streaky at bat because of one problem and that's correctable. Whether he will or not is open to debate but if he were to fix that problem he isn't just a good player but likely one of the best players in all of baseball. He's got above avg (relative to a MI) speed, power, range, glove, instincts, contact etc. the only deficiency he has is avg plate discipline. So while he might just be a good player now (I don't necc. agree) the sky is the limit!

The problem he is going to run into is that he's a 2B and that is not a premium position, which at some point is going to make him expendable due to the dollars he will be making.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-17-2008 at 05:03 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

They call me "chef"

I think one of the marks of a good leader is that he doesn't play for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    I think one of the marks of a good leader is that he doesn't play for the Reds.

But seriously one who calls himself a leader usually isn't considered one by others, but maybe he is/will be.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Ya know what, NM!
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-17-2008 at 06:15 AM.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Code:
    Brandon Phillips

Season		 .265 .314 .493 .807 
    Last 7		 .208 .269 .542 .811

vs. Left	 .350 .398 .750 1.148
    vs. Right	 .229 .279 .385 .664

April		 .283 .330 .500 .830 
    May		 .292 .342 .557 .899 
    June		 .179 .233 .339 .572

By Batting Order 
    Batting #2 .111 .111 .111 .222 	    AB 9
    Batting #3 .172 .172 .207 .379 	    AB 29