Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Q&A: Phillips Big Part of Reds Future

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Q&A: Phillips Big Part of Reds Future

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I don't understand how people can comment on his leadership abilities from the comfort of their homes.

Unless you've been a fly on the wall in the clubhouse quite a bit, I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of us know how well-suited he is for that role.
    Speaking for myself, I have no idea how much BP is or isn't a leader. I do know that I personally prefer my leaders to not go around talking about how great a leader they are. He opened up that door when he decided to talk about it at length in an interview.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Speaking for myself, I have no idea how much BP is or isn't a leader. I do know that I personally prefer my leaders to not go around talking about how great a leader they are. He opened up that door when he decided to talk about it at length in an interview.
    That's pretty much the way I feel.

Look, I've been hearing for the last couple of years that he is the "face of the franchise." I'm not so sure. I like him and like others have said the sky's the limit, but if he thinks he's leadership material, let's see some of it on the field.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm pretty sure I stated that he's a very productive player. Let me look... Yep, I did. I am glad that Brandon Phillips is our 2B.

Hacker's don't hurt my feelings. They hurt their own production.

He's similar to Dusty in his attitude, his supreme confidence in his own abilities. Luckily Brandon's job is to play baseball, something he does well. Dusty's job is to manage. If only Dusty could manage as well as BP plays 2B.

BP frustrates me because I think his mental approach prevents him from being even better than he already is. I think confidence, optimism, and happiness are wonderful things. But if they inhibit a player's ability to improve himself, I reserve the right to comment on that aspect.

I'm sorry if I find it possible to hold a complex view about a player. I like Phillips a lot. He's one of my favorite Reds. I bet he'd be a ton of fun to hang out with. But I also am frustrated by him because I think he could be better and his attitude limits his ability to address his weaknesses. These aren't contrarian opinions. People have many facets. I don't dislike Dusty Baker the person. I dislike his ability to manage a baseball team. I think Dusty's immense self-confidence prevents him from learning the mechanics of run scoring, something he didn't need to understand as a player. He and Brandon Phillips have very similar personalities and I see no problem with pointing that out. I'm just glad that BP is our 2B and not our manager.

Lastly, I would appreciate it if would keep your words out of my mouth. I get the subjective (I presume you meant objective?) and don't appreciate your characterization of my ability, or inability, to "get" Phillips. If you want to continue the personal attacks, I'm open to a PM.
    I understand how tone gets lost on here. I sometimes overlook stats. I don't think saying you might overlook objective (sorry for that brain fart) is a personal attack.

But I don't PM and didn't mean to insult.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?