Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question about selling a junker..

Question about selling a junker..

Ok, here is my situation. I am selling a old minivan to a couple of guys who left their # on my car and am getting $300 for it. The van is in bad shape but they seem to be using it for parts.

Anyway, my question is how should the title be properly done? I am very unfamiliar with this process. I looked at the back of the title and it has the spots for the buyer and seller to sign. Is that all that needs to be signed for it to come out of my name? Or do you have to do that at the DMV to make it official? The guys I talked to who is buying it said we just need to sign the back. I am sure they are good guys. Just wanted to be sure. I don't want to get a call in 2 months about this van being used in a crime or whatever and my name still be on the title.

And obviously I should take the plates off?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question about selling a junker..

Last edited by SunDeck; 06-16-2008 at 07:58 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Ok, here is my situation. I am selling a old minivan to a couple of guys who left their # on my car and am getting $300 for it. The van is in bad shape but they seem to be using it for parts.

Anyway, my question is how should the title be properly done? I am very unfamiliar with this process. I looked at the back of the title and it has the spots for the buyer and seller to sign. Is that all that needs to be signed for it to come out of my name? Or do you have to do that at the DMV to make it official? The guys I talked to who is buying it said we just need to sign the back. I am sure they are good guys. Just wanted to be sure. I don't want to get a call in 2 months about this van being used in a crime or whatever and my name still be on the title.

And obviously I should take the plates off?
    Have the back of the title completed by all parties and notarized in your presence, whether at the BMV or a bank, and get a copy of the signed title with a notary signature for your records.

The license plates belong to you, so yes, you should take them off. Your plates are good until they expire, even if you currently don't have them on a car. If you would buy a new vehicle before those plates expire, you could transfer those same plates to a new car.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

The top part of the title is filled out with the details at the time of the sale. As a notary, I am not permitted to notarize a title that is not completed. At the BMV, the lower part will filled out there and notarized, where's they'll collect the sales tax.

Just out of curiousity, what type of mini-van did you sell, what year etc. I'm getting ready to sell our 1998 Grand Caravan since the transmission has gone out (185,000 miles). Unfortunatley, I sunk about $1200 into it replacing the air conditioner compressor and I'm doubtful I'll make that back.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

You don't have to have a notarized bill of sale if it's as old as you're saying, especially since you're asking for only $300. And I know in Maryland that if the car is older than six years old, you don't need to have a notarized bill of sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    You don't have to have a notarized bill of sale if it's as old as you're saying, especially since you're asking for only $300. And I know in Maryland that if the car is older than six years old, you don't need to have a notarized bill of sale.
    Unfortunately in Ohio, to transfer the title to the car, you have to have it notarized. Now I'm not sure what happens with ultimately junking the vehicle for parts, but in order for the OP to transfer the title over, it needs to be notarized.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?