7 9.86%
  • Out

59 83.10%
  • Dunno

5 7.04%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Encarnacion's play at third...

Encarnacion's play at third...

I think he might have missed him... I thought there was no way to tell by the replay, and therefore a tough call to make at full speed. I'm no one to cut the umps slack, but it seemed strange both Grande and Welsh said it wasn't even close. Am I out of it?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Encarnacion's play at third...

Watch the replay again. He clearly tagged him on the hip. That umpire crew should be suspended. They were downright awful tonight and though the Reds offense failed miserably, that missed call and the missed strike three call both played a huge role in the Reds loss. That same umpiring crew had a horrible series over the weekend in Chicago.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I was at the game, so I can't say for certain but I will tell you this... I believe he was out simply by the reaction that Edwin had. He was tossed nearly immediately after the runner was called safe. He must have said something and something bad, which he wouldn't have gone with had he not been sure he got him. Edwin's not a hot head and he obviously wasn't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I was at the game, so I can't say for certain but I will tell you this... I believe he was out simply by the reaction that Edwin had. He was tossed nearly immediately after the runner was called safe. He must have said something and something bad, which he wouldn't have gone with had he not been sure he got him. Edwin's not a hot head and he obviously wasn't happy.
    That's exactly how I saw it. I was close to the play down the third base line, but I didn't have an angle that illustrated whether he was out. The fact that he got tossed in about 2 seconds, and the way he hopped up immediately indicated to me, that EE knew he had him.

He got him on the hip, no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

He looked out by replay with some distance, a remarkable amount of distance between the tag and the player coming in contact with the base. The play at home plate on replay where the Pirate player was called out, also appeared as if he was safe, before the Encarncion play came up.

Studying the third base umpires face, eyes, blinking, turning of the shoulders away, stiffening of the facial muscles etc, looked to me as if the umpire knew he blew it, but went into face saving mode. Oh geeze I just blew that call big time and 20 thousand fans and maybe millions more on regional tv knows it, I better go into CYA mode.

He got him TWICE! Not only did he get the hip, the replay clearly shows he got the shin/calf as well. The ump called him safe before he even touched the bag. His initial dive didn't even reach the bag.

According to the replay I think he got him (twice even) but I fault EE just as much as the ump. He had the angle to put his glove in the players path back to the base which would have been a no doubt call for the ump but instead he dove at where the runner was while the runner was diving away from that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    According to the replay I think he got him (twice even) but I fault EE just as much as the ump. He had the angle to put his glove in the players path back to the base which would have been a no doubt call for the ump but instead he dove at where the runner was while the runner was diving away from that spot.
    That's pretty picky.

The umpire wasn't watching the tag. He was watching the base. He blew it and he knew it.

I like EdE showing some emotion out there. Good for him.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The replay I saw on ESPN and it showed he got him on the calf definitely before the runner got back to the bag. I couldn't tell about the hip.

I'm amazed at how quickly the ump ran EE. Dunno what EE said, but he was very animated at the call and then the ump tossed him. Almost surreal.

I'm the idiot who voted safe- I meant out- just hit the wrong one. Oops.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The replay I saw on ESPN and it showed he got him on the calf definitely before the runner got back to the bag. I couldn't tell about the hip.

I'm amazed at how quickly the ump ran EE. Dunno what EE said, but he was very animated at the call and then the ump tossed him. Almost surreal.

I am almost tempted to say the ump tossed Edwin to save face. Deep down, he knew he blew the call and needed an immediate scape goat. I would be surprised if Edwin said anything the ump had not heard before - it simply was the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I am almost tempted to say the ump tossed Edwin to save face. Deep down, he knew he blew the call and needed an immediate scape goat. I would be surprised if Edwin said anything the ump had not heard before - it simply was the wrong thing at the wrong time.
    One of the things I simply shook my head at was immediately after the ump tossed Encarnacion, he held his hands about eight inches apart, if not more, and told EE "you missed him by this much."

How an umpire standing a few feet away can translate an actual tag into missing the tag by eight or more inches, I have no idea.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I only heard on the radio. Brantley was pretty up in arms. His argument was that you could actually see how the tag changed the motion of the runner's body before he hit the bag. That's usually a pretty good indication of an out.

Cowboy and Thom went on to compare what happened with a relief pitcher and having a short memory. The ump at 3rd was at home the night before and had a pretty rough time of it there. I'd hope he's more professional than to let the previous night come into play the next day.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Yeah, EE got him.

And that's a sign of a bad ump. The ump knew he blew the call. When that happens, a good ump will at least stand there, let coaches/players get between him and the rampant player, let everyone have their say, and bleed the emotion out of the situation.

Instead, he just compounded his error by tossing Edwin. Because *he* made a mistake, the Reds suffer from the wrong call and being a player down the rest of the game. Probably not worthy of a suspension, but reprimand ought to be given to him.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?