Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets "Clean House": Randolph, Others Fired

You're Welcome

Mets "Clean House": Randolph, Others Fired

Per Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Several hours after the Mets win in Anaheim, the team announced that Willie Randolph had been fired as manager, and several of his coaches were being let go as well. Jerry Manuel takes over, but only gets the "interim manager" title, and the rest of the coaching staff will be repopulated from the Mets' Triple-A team.

I'll leave the "Hey, let's see if we can't trade them the rights to Dusty" jokes to others. I'll just comment that this struck me as hilarious because it was just 3 hours ago that I watched "Baseball Tonight" and they had a roundtable about how they all agree that the danger had passed in Queens, and that it was clear that Randolph or his staff are doing a fine job, and how Mets management needs to call a team meeting to tell everybody that nobody's getting fired, not the manager, not the first base coach, nobody, so that the team could just get on with its business with no further distractions.

D'oh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mets "Clean House": Randolph, Others Fired

Randolph was the sacrificial lamb - it's the front office that needed an overhaul. The Mets are absolutely the most poorly-run organization in sports, imo. No team gets less out of more - and it's been that way for years.

This should have been the Reds firing the moron Dusty, if any manager deserves to lose their job it's that bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    This should have been the Reds firing the moron Dusty, if any manager deserves to lose their job it's that bum.

I'll post this as patiently and as politely as I can...

This is Dusty's first season. You cannot fire a manager half-way through his first season... especially a "name" manager. The only exception would be if this team were tanking. And they are not.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post

This is Dusty's first season. You cannot fire a manager half-way through his first season... especially a "name" manager. The only exception would be if this team were tanking. And they are not.
    But they are not winning the division!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is completely unacceptable.

For some reason I feel like I am one of the few that is fairly pleased that the Reds have been hovering fairly close to .500 for the majority of this season. I don't think that we have a .500 ballclub right now, so if Dusty ends this season with a .500 record, I think his first year will have been a success.

Overall I'm really not too worried. This team has a good future ahead of it. Most of my fears about Dusty, namely his handling of Volquez and Cueto, have been assuaged. The fact that he is a "veterans" manager has proven false with this team, with guys like Votto, Bruce, Keppinger, Volquez, and Cueto all top producers (not really Cueto).

I'm pretty excited about the next 3 years, even under Dusty Baker.

Also, on the Mets, I can't imagine what Tom Nieto, the (now ex) first base coach must be thinking. It has to be something along the lines of "what the hell did I do?" : Firing the first base coach along with the pitching coach and the manager sure seems like a weird move to me. Maybe it had something to do with his presence in the clubhouse.
    Last edited by JWP; 06-17-2008 at 12:35 PM.

I will go on record and say that I did not like the hiring of Dusty Baker and still don't.

Having said that, I have found some of the rumors of the way Dusty handles young pitchers and the "hacking" rumor to be false. The Reds are in the top 10 of mlb in taking walks. I don't see Dusty wearing out the pitchers arms, considering we have no complete games to date.

But I can't stand his lineups and loyalty to guys who just flat out aren't getting it done - that everyone and their mother can see but he somehow can't. I just don't think Dusty "gets it". Maybe he is past his prime as a manager?
    Who's on first?

Ya wanna know the worst thing about this... The Media...

The Media has been reporting all the chaos of the Mets organization... Reporting about Randolph possibly being fired, over and over and over...

3 weeks ago the Media was basically saying it was anyday. Oh, and lets not forget all the Media members who said Willie Randolph was needed to be held accountable...

Now I read from the same Media...

Mets fire Randolph in overnight Email | SHAMEFULL!

And ESPN is almost the worst... The past few weeks, they have been talking about Randolph being fired all over ESPN, ESPNews, ESPN 2, and on the ESPN.com site...

Now if you look at their site... It is all about calling the Mets organization a Circus, and how they can't believe it...

I mean, the Media is a joke and the Pressure they put on the Wilpons to do this is the Shamefull part... They get it done, then point to the next story, how the Mets are a joke for Firing the Guy... What a joke...

The Media.

Quote Originally Posted by JWP View Post
    But they are not winning the division!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is completely unacceptable.
    I was this close to firing off a scathing response to you but then I realized you were being sarcastic. Had you used one less !, though, you were going to get it with both barrels.

hee!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

I was this close to firing off a scathing response to you but then I realized you were being sarcastic. Had you used one less !, though, you were going to get it with both barrels.

hee!
    Haha, I probably would scold myself if I was being serious.

His team is out west playing LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, they let him twist in the wind, theyve won 3 of 4 (including last night), they did it by email, did I mention they were on the other side of the nation did I miss any?

The media hasnt helped with the chaos but theres ways to fire someone and ways that are classless and dispicable. This rivals Jerry Jones firing Tom Landry and Landry finding out from a news guy while he was playing a round of golf he'd be canned.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

What's your idea of tanking?

Winning no games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    What's your idea of tanking?
    If you think what this team doing right now is "tanking" I have to ask you:

What is your idea of "reasonable expectations"?

What on earth does being a "name" manager have to do with it? If you suck, you suck. He sucks. If you fail to put the team in its best position to win, it doesn't matter what your name is, you are a bad manager and deserve to be fired. He does so fail.

I don't know enough about Willie's situation to say whether I would like to see the Reds go after him. Regardless, he's got to be better than Dusty.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

What's with the "go out on a limb", MONTHS after the fact? Where were you when Dusty was hired?

Turn Off Ads?