Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you and your significant other meet?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

How did you and your significant other meet?

For anyone dating or married, simple question: how did you meet your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend?

We (some people I work with and I) got into a discussion about this at work on Monday, and I was met with a bit of shock when I said that the majority of my attached friends met their counterparts while out drinking at various local watering holes.

I'm kinda curious if I have an odd group of friends.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How did you and your significant other meet?

Maybe I should take the fifth
    High school, beach, starting a business in that order.

Life had long rejected me and they took me in

An old BBS playing trivia, we bonded over figuring out some guy was using a cheat program to always win.

9 years married now
    Go Gators!

I met my first wife at a coffee shop. I worked third shift, she worked days and we both frequented the shop for breakfast. An older gal was waitress and friend of Dixie and introduced us - so we met at breakfast to chat. No dating or anything. After awhile I had a bad weekend when my girlfriend stood me up - twice - because she didn;t have the gumption to just break up, I think. Anyway Monday morning I mentioned it and Dix said you need a good woman for a change. I said Who - you volunteering? She says - "You asking" and I replied Hell yeah.

Not exactly the most romantic beginning but it lasted for 6 kids and 28 years until she died of a heart attack in 2004. The last loss in our family in an 18 month stretch that saw us lose Mom, Dad, Dixie, a grandson, and 2 son-in-laws. Somehow I made it through (although my recent heart attack and open heart surgery probably was a result).

Then I met my current wife, in 2006 as winter started. My daughter Cressia moved in with me with my grand daughter Izzie. Her husband Johnny Fennel drowned in Pony Express Lake in a storm 2 months before Dixie died so we were both reeling from double shocks and she had no insurance so was in a bad way financially. She had a friend at work who visited her a few times and we would all meet and talk in a kind of grief therapy - not formal just friends but it just grew from there. She had lost her husband in an auto accident and had a 2 year old Sadie. I asked her to dinner and 6 months later we married. So my household includes a daughter 28 who now thinks she's my mother, a wife 32 who's her best friend (and mine) and co-conspirator in anything that involves trying to make me take better care of myself (which drives me nuts - you think one woman nagging at you to watch cholesterol or eat better, or exercise more, or whatever misery their love for you can conjure then try two of them each tormenting you for your own good), and the loves of my life now - my beautiful little daughter Sadie and grandbaby Izzie. So I'm the dirty old man with the much younger wife. And loving every minute of it.

At work.

High school... related to my best friend.. ended up friends for years, then lost contact for a while, then when we met up again it was more than friends

We met the old fashioned way........IN A BAR.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

My wife and I met at work.

We both teach high school English. (Our children have no chance at being anything other than dorks, geeks, and nerds. Sigh.)

After practice, I would go to her room and talk about my day. She'd listen and talk about hers. I'd listen. Pretty soon, we started going out. Next thing I know, we're married, pregnant, and picking out girl's names.

Grin.

Who said an English degree wouldn't help you out later in life?
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 06-18-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Summer camp. She was the nature lady, I was assistant program director.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Funny this topic should come up. I realized in May that it would be 30 years since my wife and I met. She had come out to Cincy with her family for her nephew's 2nd birthday. Her sister and brother-in-law belonged to the same church I did, and they came to mass that Sunday. I sat in the pew in front of them, wearing a t-shirt and overalls, and she thought who would come to church so grungy. When her nephew saw me and excitedly said "It's Joe with the beard!". She figured maybe she'd misjudged me since her nephew liked me ("Great with kids").

When she moved to Cincinnati after grad school two years later, she moved to town to live with her sister and brother-in-law and we started dating that fall. We've been married now almost 27 years.

I shot her nephew and his mom an email when we realized the 30 years was coming and thanked him for standing up for me. My sister-in-law wrote back and said the rest of the story was that I thought she was cute, she turned up with her two year old and I realized she was married and asked if she had a sister. My wife thanked him on both accounts (and the "do you have a sister" part was not true!).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Prison.

High five!

My wife and I met when she called me to play keyboards in her band. On our first "date", I made dinner (Osso Bucco, Risotto and wine-braised pears...take notes, single dudes!) and took her to an equestrian ballet set to the music of Stravinsky and his peers. Think Cirque de Solei on horses...it was artier than it sounds...if that's possible.

The only thing that might've gone wrong was when I was giving her the tour of my house. I was getting ready to replace the "commode" in my bathroom and the replacement "unit" was pretty much smack dab in the middle of the room. It did give her pause and wonder what would drive someone to have the furniture arranged thusly...however, I was able to quickly reassure her that nothing fishy was going on.

To recap:

1. Make good dinner
    2. Remove toilet from middle of any room that doesn't usually have one

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    For anyone dating or married, simple question: how did you meet your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend?

We (some people I work with and I) got into a discussion about this at work on Monday, and I was met with a bit of shock when I said that the majority of my attached friends met their counterparts while out drinking at various local watering holes.

I'm kinda curious if I have an odd group of friends.
    I think "age/stage of life" at meeting has a lot to do with that.

I met my wife while I was serving as the First-Aid Medic of the College inter mural department. She was injured in a softball game, separated shoulder, and my roommate was on duty that night. A couple days later both of us were on duty and she came up to him to thank him for putting it back in place, and getting her to the hospital. I was nursing a dislocated finger from my attempt at flag football. We talking and chatted about various stuff until the games were over and we were off duty, I offered her a ride back to her dorm. We met a couple other times, and just talked. Or first real date I took her to dinner in front of the fireplace at a Cracker Barrel!

27 yrs later we still have fun going to Cracker Barrel.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I met my first wife at a coffee shop. I worked third shift, she worked days and we both frequented the shop for breakfast. An older gal was waitress and friend of Dixie and introduced us - so we met at breakfast to chat. No dating or anything. After awhile I had a bad weekend when my girlfriend stood me up - twice - because she didn;t have the gumption to just break up, I think. Anyway Monday morning I mentioned it and Dix said you need a good woman for a change. I said Who - you volunteering? She says - "You asking" and I replied Hell yeah.

Not exactly the most romantic beginning but it lasted for 6 kids and 28 years until she died of a heart attack in 2004. The last loss in our family in an 18 month stretch that saw us lose Mom, Dad, Dixie, a grandson, and 2 son-in-laws. Somehow I made it through (although my recent heart attack and open heart surgery probably was a result).

Then I met my current wife, in 2006 as winter started. My daughter Cressia moved in with me with my grand daughter Izzie. Her husband Johnny Fennel drowned in Pony Express Lake in a storm 2 months before Dixie died so we were both reeling from double shocks and she had no insurance so was in a bad way financially. She had a friend at work who visited her a few times and we would all meet and talk in a kind of grief therapy - not formal just friends but it just grew from there. She had lost her husband in an auto accident and had a 2 year old Sadie. I asked her to dinner and 6 months later we married. So my household includes a daughter 28 who now thinks she's my mother, a wife 32 who's her best friend (and mine) and co-conspirator in anything that involves trying to make me take better care of myself (which drives me nuts - you think one woman nagging at you to watch cholesterol or eat better, or exercise more, or whatever misery their love for you can conjure then try two of them each tormenting you for your own good), and the loves of my life now - my beautiful little daughter Sadie and grandbaby Izzie. So I'm the dirty old man with the much younger wife. And loving every minute of it.
    Reading that felt like watching an episode of Dallas.

Wow, you have been through a lot, my friend. I'm glad you found happiness.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 06-18-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Turn Off Ads?