Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you and your significant other meet?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: How did you and your significant other meet?

Met at work. Didn't start dating until a few months after she quit.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alpine Valley - 22 years ago in 1 week

Though we both grew up on the eastside and went to the same HS we met in Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    We met the old fashioned way........IN A BAR.

Ten years ago this August I met my wife at a local watering hole the night before my 30th birthday. It was like twenty minutes till midnight, I saw her and thought maybe I can have one last fling before i hit the big 3-0. That fling has lasted so far almost ten years!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Like many others, at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Prison.

Turn to the left!

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

My roommate introduced us when I was visiting him before I moved up here.

Set us up on a semi-blind date.

Out of curiosity, CE, why does it surprise you that a lot of couples you know met in bars? Most people I know go to bars sometimes, especially when they're at an age when they start coupling off; it stands to reason that some of those people might run into others they'll get along with there.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

the Metro Bible Study here in Atlanta.

I can think of at least 10 couples that met there and are now married.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

I met my wife at the Hard Rock Cafe in Mexico City. I was working on a project there for a few months at that point, and our group liked to go to the HRC on Thursday's to see a great cover band. One night, we decided to invite some of the local folks we were working with to join us (and bring any significant others or friends with them). The engineer I was working with brought my future wife with her and sat down at the other end of the table.

Another older married guy on our team later decided to head back to the hotel, and he was sitting across from my future wife. I decided that she was kind of cute and thought I'd go talk to her. She wasn't very comfortable with her English, and I wasn't very comfortable with my Spanish, but we made a little bit of small talk. We exchanged email addresses at the end of the night. I went back to the states for a few weeks and decided to email her while I was there. Surprisingly, she wrote back (actually, because she was nervous with her English, a friend wrote back what she told her to write ) and we emailed a few times. I came back to Mexico and we decided to meet up. We hit it off, and 5 months later we were engaged. We've been married almost 2 years now!

The thing that makes it even crazier is that the engineer I was working with and my future wife had gone to school together about 10 years before and hadn't seen each other since. Then, a week before this all got set in place, they randomly ran into each other on the street, and then the engineer randomly called her to invite her out that night. If not for that chance encounter, I may never have met my wife!

Oh, and it was from another thread, but when I proposed to my wife, it was the night after Valentine's Day (I was in the US on the 14th, flew in on the 15th), and I proposed to her on the steps of the famous Angel monument on one of the largest streets in the city. She cried and said yes

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    For anyone dating or married, simple question: how did you meet your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend?

We (some people I work with and I) got into a discussion about this at work on Monday, and I was met with a bit of shock when I said that the majority of my attached friends met their counterparts while out drinking at various local watering holes.

I'm kinda curious if I have an odd group of friends.
    I grew up on the West Side where there are three choices for meeting your future bride; at a church festival, Harvest Home Fair or a bar. Of the bars, the choices would have been many, of course.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    I met my wife at the Hard Rock Cafe in Mexico City. I was working on a project there for a few months at that point, and our group liked to go to the HRC on Thursday's to see a great cover band. One night, we decided to invite some of the local folks we were working with to join us (and bring any significant others or friends with them). The engineer I was working with brought my future wife with her and sat down at the other end of the table.

Another older married guy on our team later decided to head back to the hotel, and he was sitting across from my future wife. I decided that she was kind of cute and thought I'd go talk to her. She wasn't very comfortable with her English, and I wasn't very comfortable with my Spanish, but we made a little bit of small talk. We exchanged email addresses at the end of the night. I went back to the states for a few weeks and decided to email her while I was there. Surprisingly, she wrote back (actually, because she was nervous with her English, a friend wrote back what she told her to write ) and we emailed a few times. I came back to Mexico and we decided to meet up. We hit it off, and 5 months later we were engaged. We've been married almost 2 years now!

The thing that makes it even crazier is that the engineer I was working with and my future wife had gone to school together about 10 years before and hadn't seen each other since. Then, a week before this all got set in place, they randomly ran into each other on the street, and then the engineer randomly called her to invite her out that night. If not for that chance encounter, I may never have met my wife!

Oh, and it was from another thread, but when I proposed to my wife, it was the night after Valentine's Day (I was in the US on the 14th, flew in on the 15th), and I proposed to her on the steps of the famous Angel monument on one of the largest streets in the city. She cried and said yes
    Spanish chicks are hot. Just sayin.

In college, senior year.

We both worked at the student rec center. Checking IDs, checking out lockers, cleaning a week's worth of sweat and stench off of treadmills on Sunday nights.

Started dating 6 weeks before we graduated. Just celebrated 11 years of marriage.

Our school was small. If you didn't know someone, you knew someone who did. My best friend (same birthday, went to school together from 5th grade through college, best men in each other's wedding, and on and on) met my wife first semester of our freshmen year. He dated a few girls from her sorority, had classes with her, etc. Never thought to introduce the two of us to each other.

To this day, we both give him crap about us being together no thanks to his sorry rear end. His response is always "yeh, I still have a hard time figuring out how you two ended up together."

What a wingman.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Out of curiosity, CE, why does it surprise you that a lot of couples you know met in bars? Most people I know go to bars sometimes, especially when they're at an age when they start coupling off; it stands to reason that some of those people might run into others they'll get along with there.
    It doesn't surprise me at all -- I was more surprised that other people were surprised, if that makes any sense.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

In the future. It was love at first sight, from what I told myself.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I had a girlfriend at the time that I was ready to break up with but had yet to muster up the courage to do so.

I had two roommates who were both dating girls from the same sorority from a college in Jacksonville (My roomies and I lived in Gainesville and attended UF).

One fair evening, my wife-to-be got adventurous and decided to accompany the other two girls on a trip to Gainesville to visit their boyfriends. She had no idea who I was nor any clue they'd have a 3rd roomie.

As fate would have it, my erstwhile GF was also from Jax and was not with me at the time. Therefore, my roomies and their girlfriends went off with each other and left me with the woman who would be my wife 4 short years later. "Entertain her," they said. They had no idea it would be her who entertained me, and it remains that way to this day.

We simply laid down on the bed and just talked. Talked about music. Sports. Politics. How late it was. How strange it was that we'd end up with each other on a night like this. I explained to her the meaning of "kismet." It's now engraved on my wedding band.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Turn Off Ads?