Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCL Reds roster?

GCL Reds roster?

Here we are 12 hours until the GCL Reds open their season and yet they still haven't released a roster yet.

Evan Hildenbrandt, Tzu-Kai Chiu, Tyler Cline, and Charles Snowden should anchor an interesting starting rotation. Petr Cech and Sean Conner will probably be the most interesting bats.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GCL Reds roster?

I hadn't realized that Chiu wasn't playing for Billings. I thought he had pitched well enough to earn that promotion.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I hadn't realized that Chiu wasn't playing for Billings. I thought he had pitched well enough to earn that promotion.
    I was sort of surprised to see that too. He pitched pretty well as a 19-year old in the GCL last season with a 3.42 ERA and 8 BB/47 K ratio in 52.2 innings.

Here is a link to their current roster:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=t_ros&cid=472

I also suspect we'll see SS Mariekson Gregorius and OF Donald Lutz on the GCL roster. Gregorius is from the Netherlands and IIRC the Reds beat out the Yankees for his services. Lutz was signed out of Germany last year.

The Taiwanese SS -- Yen-Wen something -- may also be there.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The Taiwanese SS -- Yen-Wen something -- may also be there.
    Yen-Wen Kuo--there are some good videos of him on the internet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSFiG-aRQx8&feature=related

As for Chiu being in GCL, I believe it has something to do with his education.

The Cincinnati Reds were able to break into the Taiwanese market by signing 19 year LHP Tzu-Kai Chiu. Chiu received an estimated $200,000 signing bonus + additional money for his education. Chiu stands around 6'0" tall and weighs close to 200 pounds. Chiu has been on the MLB radar for quite some time now - refer to this Jan. '06 post to read more about Chiu. Chiu is currently in his first year of college but will be heading to the US shortly for a physical. Chiu throws comfortably in the 85 to 87 mph range with touches of 89 mph on his fastball - Chiu's best pitch is his curveball. Congrats to Chiu!
    Here's a Chiu video (this is the 9th inning of a game in which he had thrown over 140 pitches):
    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/423272

Here are some really good Tzu-Kai Chiu photos (and more), some of which may be incriminating:
    http://www.wretch.cc/album/baseball914

Okay.....who are these women....Chui groupies or something?

Nice to hear You-Wen associated with Reds!!
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Less than an hour until the GCL Reds start their season and still no roster.

Less than an hour until the GCL Reds start their season and still no roster.
    other GCL teams look the same way -- a watched pot never boils!

Just popped up on milb.com that the GCL Reds game has been postponed today
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Finally, here is the 2008 GCL roster:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=t_ros&cid=472

Mariekson Gregorius and Yen-Wen Kuo will form an interesting middle infield combo. Gregorius was signed from the Netherlands last year while Kuo was signed out of Taiwan. Donald Lutz is another intriguing prospect. He's a big dude from Germany...he's listed as 6'4" 230 and is only 19 years old.

The rotation should be fun to follow as it includes 18-year old Italian lefty Matteo Pizziconi, 20-year old Tzu-Kai Chiu from Taiwan, 2008 4th rounder Tyler Cline who is only 17, 19-year old Canadian Evan Hildenbrandt, and 19-year old lefty Shea Snowden who posted a 3.51 ERA and 5 BB/30 K ratio in 25.2 innings last season.

The youngest player on the roster is 17-year old Dominican Raul Rodriguez who is listed at 6'3" 190 and doesn't turn 18 until October 16th.

The rotation should be fun to follow as it includes 18-year old Italian lefty Matteo Pizziconi, 20-year old Tzu-Kai Chiu from Taiwan, 2008 4th rounder Tyler Cline who is only 17, 19-year old Canadian Evan Hildenbrandt, and 19-year old lefty Shea Snowden who posted a 3.51 ERA and 5 BB/30 K ratio in 25.2 innings last season.
    How do you know who's in the rotation?

By the way, it looks like Chiu has been "reassigned" -- I assume this means he's injured, but I could be wrong.

Turn Off Ads?