Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday June 18th minor league updates

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Wednesday June 18th minor league updates

OnBaseMachine, weren't you the one telling me the other night to watch out for Neftali Soto? If so, very well done sir. I am watching, and liking!!!

Wish he was playing SS, but we need a 3B of the future too. Wish Buchholz was a SS and not a 2B, but I'll get over it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    OnBaseMachine, weren't you the one telling me the other night to watch out for Neftali Soto? If so, very well done sir. I am watching, and liking!!!

Wish he was playing SS, but we need a 3B of the future too. Wish Buchholz was a SS and not a 2B, but I'll get over it.
    Yep. Soto is going to be a stud. He's got quick bat speed, solid plate discipline for his age and a long wiry frame that will allow him to fill out and add even more power. He's definitely a prospect worth watching.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

And did you see Stiffler's mom? Yaozer! MILF for sure.

(Sorry, real bad American Pie reference.)

Soto walked in his next plate appearance.

10-3 Billings after 6 1/2.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yep. Soto is going to be a stud. He's got quick bat speed, solid plate discipline for his age and a long wiry frame that will allow him to fill out and add even more power. He's definitely a prospect worth watching.
    I was saying how last year's draft was working out well for us with our top three picks doing well (Mesoraco, Frazier, Lotzkar) but I really didn't know anything about Soto (our third-rounder last year) until you pointed it out. A few of the other early picks aren't really working out very well (Cozart, a couple pitchers, the guy who didn't sign in the fourth round and then slipped to the 13th round this year) but overall I am liking last year's draft. And really, Cozart isn't putting up terrible numbers at Dayton. But no one would argue that for a second-round pick out of college, he is behind schedule.

Was Soto expected to play 3B or was this a bit of a surprise? He was listed as a SS when we drafted him.

I've read some reports that say Soto could probably play SS right now but he's expected to outgrow the position as he's 6'3" and 180 so there's plenty of room for him to fill out. Some think he could play second base but most feel third base or left field in his future position. His bat is good enough to play anywhere. I really think he could be a steal. He just turned 19 in February so he's still very young.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Good to see Stubbs doing well. Confidence can be a huge thing no matter the sport. No question winning an AS game MVP will help the kid's confidence. He's still behind schedule IMO, but he's catching up.

Castro's final line: 6 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 11 GO/2 FO. Not a bad debut for the 19-year old kid from Mexico.

10-3 Billings after 7 1/2.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Castro is a kid we signed as a free agent right?

Yeah. He posted a 2.04 ERA in 12 starts with the VSL Reds in 2006 but only pitched 4.2 innings last season with the DSL Reds.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

It's not just Soto. 16 hits last night, 15 hits so far tonight. We have some really talented hitters on the Billings ballclub.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It's not just Soto. 16 hits last night, 15 hits so far tonight. We have some really talented hitters on the Billings ballclub.
    The Pioneer League is a hitter friendly league, though there are some talented hitters on the team like Soto, Buchholz, and others.

I wonder why Sappelt hasn't played yet?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The Pioneer League is a hitter friendly league.
    So it is normal for a team in that league to amass this many hits on a daily basis in the Pioneer League? I admit this is my first year following closely the Pioneer League.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    So it is normal for a team in that league to amass this many hits on a daily basis in the Pioneer League? I admit this is my first year following closely the Pioneer League.
    I don't know about 15 or 16 hits a night but let's just say there are plenty of high scoring games in the Pioneer League. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Billings hitters because there are some very talented hitters on that squad.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

It now is a final. The Billings Mustangs won the game 10-3

Turn Off Ads?