Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer and Daryl

Homer and Daryl

Email from buddy in Chattanooga...
    Rumors starting to fly about Homers future and on the 5th starter for the Yankees series. Homer to AA, Daryl to start vs Yanks...Should know more tomorrow.
    Nothing set in stone but that sure would be interesting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer and Daryl

Interesting. Daryl Thompson has passed Homer Bailey on the depth chart. Let's go back 18 months and see what the odds would've been on that.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Didn't really shoot down the Thompson part of the rumor, which is the interesting part of the rumor
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I don't know....do we really want Daryl's first start to be @Yankee Stadium facing that Yanks lineup?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I don't know....do we really want Daryl's first start to be @Yankee Stadium facing that Yanks lineup?
    I'll be there for the game on Saturday and would much rather watch Thompson pitch then Josh Fogg. I know that for sure.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Why did the "brain trust" have to see Homer fail at the major league level to know he wasn't ready?

Most of us on this board knew he wasn't ready.

Silliness.

Fay suggested earlier Thompson is Saturday's starter:

By the way, I think Daryl Thompson makes the start Saturday. It's still listed as Homer Bailey. But Dusty Baker said: "We're still talking about it." Thompson is the logical choice. Baker really liked him in spring training. He's pitched well in the minors. And he's on the 40-man.

got alil captain in u?

Why run the kid out there against that Yankees Lineup. Not a smart idea. Let Fogg go get his brains beat in he's used to being a 5th starter. Let the kid have a few more starts in AAA before we bring him up.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    At least if he bombs as a major leaguer, he'll get to tell his grandkids that he pitched in Yankee Stadium.

That has to be worth something.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

THE REDS have yet to make it official, but punch it into your Blackberry or iPod — 22-year-old rookie Daryl Thompson will pitch Saturday in Yankee Stadium against the New York Yankees.

Thompson is 3-0 with a 3.25 earned run average in four starts at Louisville (AAA) after starting the season at Class AA Chattanooga and going 3-2 with a 1.76 ERA in 10 starts.

Thompson is an interesting story and was, basically, a throw-in to the deal that sent Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wager to the Washington Nationals.

In return, the Reds received Royce Clayton, Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, Brendan Harris and Thompson.

What ensued was a dispute between Nationals general manager Jim Bowden and former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky over whether Majewski was damaged goods.

Amazingly, Washington insiders said Thompson was included in the deal because he had major shoulder surgery in 2005 (torn labrum) and Bowden didn’t think he would last. As one Bowden acquaintance said, “Bowden thought he was sticking it to the Reds with Thompson.”

As a matter of fact, Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek performed the surgery while Thompson was in Washington’s minor-league system and he was still rehabbing the surgery when the trade was made.

It isn’t likely Thompson will be intimidated by the Yankees, Yankee Stadium or the ghosts of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.

Thompson had a dose of Yankee-sim this spring when he pitched an inning against the Yankees in packed Legends Field in Tampa, Fla. and struck out the side.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

Striking out the side in a ST game is a lot different than walking into Yankee Stadium for your first major league start and facing a white hot Yankees lineup.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Striking out the side in a ST game is a lot different than walking into Yankee Stadium for your first major league start and facing a white hot Yankees lineup.
    6 lefties and ARod. Good luck, kid.

What's that they say about putting players in situations in which they can succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    6 lefties and ARod. Good luck, kid.

What's that they say about putting players in situations in which they can succeed?
    Yeah, times like this are when you really wish you had an older soft-tossing lefty in AAA to throw into that fire. Oh wait, the Reds do.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Yeah, times like this are when you really wish you had an older soft-tossing lefty in AAA to throw into that fire. Oh wait, the Reds do.
    And they're about to get beat by another today.

Turn Off Ads?