Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker's reasoning for not pinch hitting for Patterson (McCoy)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baker's reasoning for not pinch hitting for Patterson (McCoy)

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

Baker’s TWO reasons for Patterson
    By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 03:20 PM

Latest comment
    “…feeble reasons, illogical reasons…”
    Damn. True. You go, Hal.

Read 10 comments
    Post your comment index
    One might label this one: “Beating the opposition the punch,” or, “A guilty conscience.”

Before he asked by the media after Tuesday’s game, Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker brought it up himself, saying he knew people wandered why.

Oh, yeah?

So why did Baker permit Corey Patterson, a lefthander hitting .193, bat against Dodger lefthander Joe Beimel, a pitcher against whom Patterson was 1 for 13 with six strikeouts.

At theime, there were runners on second and third with two outs and the Reds trailed, 2-1. Patterson bounced meekly to second base.

Baker said his reason was two-fold:

ONE - He said at the time he didn’t believe Ken Griffey Jr. was availalbe (out of the lineup with a virus), although Griffey pinch-hit in the ninth - and struck out.

And he said Patterson hits leftanders better than righthanders. Untrue. Patterson is hitting .167 against lefthanders and .199 against righthanders. Clearly, he hits neither.

TWO - Baker said he had no outfielders. Andy Phillips played outfield in spring training, but not since, and Baker said it would be unfair to him. Still, he could have played right field for a couple of innings, with Jay Bruce moving from right to center.

And shortstop Jolbert Cabrera played 16 games in the outfield for Louisville. He could have moved from shortstop to right and Paul Janish inserted a shortstop.

To me, those are feeble reasons, Illogical reasons.

Anyway, that’s Baker’s story and he is sticking to it as we sit in the press box at Great American Ball Park awaiting the second game of the Dodgers series.

The thing is - nobody is hitting. The Reds are hitting .178 on this 2-5 homestand. They’ve scored 2.3 runs a game. They are hitting .075 with runners in scoring position and are 0 for their last 11.

My Aunt Opal could hit better than that with her ironing board - and she is in a wheel chair.

The lineup hasn’t been posted yet, but if Patterson is in there I won’t be able to write tonight because there will be a mess on my laptop.

That's insane.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Baker's reasoning for not pinch hitting for Patterson (McCoy)

Oh, Dusty.

Statistically for his CAREER, Corey Patterson has hit better against righties than lefties.....264 vs .240 (roughly)

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Oh, Dusty.

Statistically for his CAREER, Corey Patterson has hit better against righties than lefties.....264 vs .240 (roughly)
    Is that OPS?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Is that OPS?
    Believe it or not, it's average.....his career average is .255
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-18-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Hal McCoy calling people fools, more or less.

You know its bad when that happens.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

And that's on top of Welsh's "geez" last night. Maybe Dusty got the message.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And that's on top of Welsh's "geez" last night. Maybe Dusty got the message.
    I was thinking it would take an intervention.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

This just in from the Reds dugout. Another update on Corey Patterson

“Votto leading off today,” said manager Dusty Baker. “Corey (Patterson) wasn’t getting on base...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...oey_votto.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    “Votto leading off today,” said manager Dusty Baker. [i]“Corey (Patterson) wasn’t getting
    Corey never has gotten on base for any team during his career, nice that Dusty got the memo.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

The shocking thing to me is that I figured Dusty was going to be one of McCoy's guys, the teflon manager. I really underestimated Hal McCoy -- credit him for figuring out that the emperor has no clothes quickly.

It's a shame Dusty was signed to such a big, long-term contract. At least Patterson will be gone after this year.

So the great communicator didn't know if Jr. was able to pinch hit earlier in the game but he knew in the 9th? Unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So the great communicator didn't know if Jr. was able to pinch hit earlier in the game but he knew in the 9th? Unacceptable.
    C'mon. He knew. It was just his poor attempt at rationalizing his decision to keep his son er- leadoff hitter in the game.

The less this man talks, the more sense he makes.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I actually believe that the press is starting to turn on Dusty. Once Marty completely jumps ship watch out. I honestly don't know that Dusty will make it to 2009.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I actually believe that the press is starting to turn on Dusty. Once Marty completely jumps ship watch out. I honestly don't know that Dusty will make it to 2009.
    Well, maybe the Cincy media can take after the New York (Mets) media and collectively get the manager fired.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?