Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Camp followers?

Camp followers?

Can anybody maybe look this up?

Since CP is back in the line up again tonight, I was wondering if there are nay other managers in recent memory who have drug players around with them like this?

Is there a way to look something like that up?
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Re: Camp followers?

I had a chuckle when I read the title to this thread. My grandmother used to use that term to describe "loose" women. And she used to whisper it.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I had a chuckle when I read the title to this thread. My grandmother used to use that term to describe "loose" women. And she used to whisper it.

Yeah, that's the historical connotation. Women and others who used to follow the army around, going way, way back (Revolutionary times at least, I assume--I remember reading references to camp followers in the days leading up to St. Clair's defeat in the post-Revolutionary period),

..but I digress. :

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Yeah, that's the historical connotation. Women and others who used to follow the army around, going way, way back (Revolutionary times at least, I assume--I remember reading references to camp followers in the days leading up to St. Clair's defeat in the post-Revolutionary period),

..but I digress. :
    I'm sure my grandmother was thinking more WWI or even the stories from the Civil War.

... but I also digress. :
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Sparky Anderson - Champ Summers?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post

..but I digress. :
    The term camp followers goes back as far as the First Crusade (as far as I know). And the term does NOT refer to prostitution. Nomade peoples like Ghenjis Khan's "horde" had no soldiers that worked in the Mess. When these armies moved around to conquer other lands, they brought their families with them....to cook, set up camp, and pack and move again.

Napolean's army did the same thing.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    The term camp followers goes back as far as the First Crusade (as far as I know). And the term does NOT refer to prostitution. Nomade peoples like Ghenjis Khan's "horde" had no soldiers that worked in the Mess. When these armies moved around to conquer other lands, they brought their families with them....to cook, set up camp, and pack and move again.

Napolean's army did the same thing.
    It didn't originally refer to prostitution, but by St. Claire's time it had picked up that connotation. Even going back to Civil War times camp followers weren't always prostitutes, but because many were, the term was applied (and the reputations of women who performed other services were often unjustly smeared).

btw, I forget...am I back on the History Channel boards again? It's been years.

Since CP is back in the line up again tonight, I was wondering if there are nay other managers in recent memory who have drug players around with them like this?

Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke..... (but they were romantically "entangled")
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

On the baseball side of things (there was one, wasn't there?), I would guess that, if you want to get technical, since Dusty and Corey have only been together on 2 teams, there have been many other similar cases.

Even involving bad players and incompetent managers who misused them.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Jack McKeon had some serious man love for Chris Stynes and "napping" Harry Dunlop. Stynes didn't go with Jack to Florida as I recall.

Piniella had some man love for Sabo too.

I know there are more but I just can't think of them this second.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Chuck Tanner -- Terry Forster

Tanner felt bad about ruining Forster's arm when Forster was a teenage phenom.

I know a certain GM that does.

Turn Off Ads?