Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yonder Alonso

I was lukewarm to the notion of taking a 1B with the #7 overall pick. Paying above slot for a 1B on the #7 overall pick makes me queasy.

If Alonso played a more in-demand position, I'd have no problem going above slot, but there comes a point where you've got to wonder why you're paying a premium for something you've already got and can find again without too much trouble.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lance McAlister just stated that Miami's coach thinks Yonder Alonso should come back to Miami.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiam...yonder-re.html

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

...so Jim Bowden is back in charge....

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Lance McAlister just stated that Miami's coach thinks Yonder Alonso should come back to Miami.
    I'm sure he does.

At this rate will have both the 7a. and 7 b picks next year....plus the Dunn compensation picks....Bob is gonna have to open the pocket book one way or another

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    At this rate will have both the 7a. and 7 b picks next year....plus the Dunn compensation picks....Bob is gonna have to open the pocket book one way or another
    oh... so we get the 7th pick back if Alonso doesn't sign? I wasn't aware of that...

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    oh... so we get the 7th pick back if Alonso doesn't sign? I wasn't aware of that...
    I thought that the Reds would get the 7th pick in the 2nd round if they don't sign Alsonso.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I thought that the Reds would get the 7th pick in the 2nd round if they don't sign Alsonso.
    no technically, we get the 7b or basically the 8th overall pick in nexts years draft, and at the rate were going this year we gonna end up with the 7th overall, so we could have back to back picks, at least that's my understanding of how it works

Yonder talks
    Posted by JohnFay at 8/7/2008 5:30 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Miami Herald ran a story about Yonder Alonso's talks with the Reds. Here's the link.Apparently, Alonso is asking $7 million. He says he's prepared to go back to school. He can ask for anything he wants. I'd like million bucks and to look like Brad Pitt. But it's not going to happen.

I don't think the Reds are going to give Alonso $7 million. And I don't think they should. If he was worth $7 million, one of the six teams ahead of the Reds would have taken him. These things usually come down to the deadline, which is Aug. 12.

It all seems pretty simple to me. Alonso wants to play professional baseball. The Reds are offering him a chance to do so and become a rich man in the process. If he listens to agent and goes back to school, more power to him. If I were the Reds, I wish him all the luck in the world and drop the money he was going to get into next year's play payroll.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

The deadline is August 15th, Fay.

I've got to wonder why we didn't know this in advance. This franchise really can't afford to just get nothing from first round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I've got to wonder why we didn't know this in advance. This franchise really can't afford to just get nothing from first round picks.
    They did know this in advance. There were articles before the draft that stated Alonso was looking for seven million dollars and a possible major league contract. The Reds knew this in advance and still chose him over others like Gordon Beckham, Justin Smoak, and Aaron Crow. It's all on the Reds if they fail to sign him.

If they get no player out of the first round, it's a major failure for Jocketty. Simple as that.

If they get no player out of the first round, it's a major failure for Jocketty. Simple as that.
    Absolutely. Especially considering they didn't have a second round pick.

That might be the case, but I think we're watching a showdown between management and the drafted players and their agents. Last I saw, only three out of the top ten had signed and it's only been a smattering more over that. Any player with eligibility left (juniors and incoming freshmen) have leverage.

I can't imagine that the players and agents care one bit for the slotting system (and can you blame them?) and I think they're interested in pushing the question. I hope they sign him, but if we don't, I think we'll have considerable company.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Agreed on the slotting system--I never saw how it could work in the first place.

Turn Off Ads?