Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Senor Votto

Re: Yonder Alonso

Shouldn't have drafted a 1st baseman in the first place. Votto should be there for a long long time. And even if Dunn is gone the Frazier could always move to left field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Seems to me you're the only who needs to chill out here.

Others are just stating what their ceiling is on signing Alonso. I think we all understand this is a game of chicken and nothing's getting done until probably next Friday.
    I'm joking, man. 's'all good.

The Reds went for an expensive draft pick. They knew it when they drafted him. They could have overdrafted, picked an obscure prospect, and signed him immediately. No, they went for a name player who had already declared that he would be expensive to sign.

Now, they should follow through and sign him. I don't care if it requires a big bonus and a major league contract. I would negotiate, but ultimately he must be signed.

Reds have a history of first round "reaches" and signing them easily. They often don't pan out. Reds also have a history of passing on big time prospects with major salary demands, several of whom now appear regularly in All Star games. We all know who they are.

Want to be a major team, get major players, major prospects, pay them, sign them.

Want to be out of it on August 8, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Heres what Lance McAlister posted on his blog:
    If that's the case I wouldn't overpay a red cent for him. Alonso was consolation prize. There was nobody available at a need position they liked, so they went for the best all-around hitter left. I always thought there was a good chance he was just trade bait.

I'd rather them take their chances on a "do-over". See if there's a college CF, SS or P you like next year. Maybe that was the plan all along.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If that's the case I wouldn't overpay a red cent for him. Alonso was consolation prize. There was nobody available at a need position they liked, so they went for the best all-around hitter left. I always thought there was a good chance he was just trade bait.

I'd rather them take their chances on a "do-over". See if there's a college CF, SS or P you like next year. Maybe that was the plan all along.
    SS Gordon Beckham out of Georgia was still available.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Thats if he is viewed as a SS. There are some debates on whether he will stick or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post

Alonso is an excellent all around hitter, which is a "need" position for the Reds. He seems to actually hit consistently, both for power and average, which is a rarity on this team.
    Reds already have a college CF, Stubbs. Want a pure, great college shortstop? Good luck drafting him (unless you have the first or second pick) -- and if you can draft one, he'll probably cost more than Alonso.

I hope folks that think this way recognize that the Reds are competing with teams that think big and are willing to spend to compete. The winning teams spend. The losers are outraged.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-08-2008 at 04:45 PM.

I will reserve panic and/or judgment until the 15th. I would go over slot for Alonso. Up to $7 million? Nope. Not sure how high.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Crosley Field Fan

With the compensation being basically the same draft slot a year later, it really provides a safety net for the teams to hold the line. It makes the lines in the sand deeper between player agent and team.

As long as the status quo remains there will be these mexican stand offs every year.

While I don't wish this on any player...if someone like Yonder went back to school and got injured or tanked...where his draft position was remarkably reduced one year to the next...that would tilt the game in the owners direction.

In the meantime...we're just going to have to watch the game of chicken and hope the guys driving our car know when to zig.

Last edited by Strider; 08-09-2008 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    If the young man wants $7M I would tell him tot try again next year and wish him luck because he will have no leverage. I would offer him ~2.5M and tell him to take or leave it.
    I agree.

I'd remind him that all the wealthy teams will not be picking early next year either and he will end up with about $2.5 million anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Unless he signed in the last 48 hours, he hasn't signed yet, either.

Found this while checking out various Reds' blogs.

http://omgreds.com/

Yonder to add insult?

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for the Reds, a Miami Herald story says Yonder Alonso has signed up for fall classes at University of Miami and there's a 50-50 chance he'll go back to school. He may also be considering playing in the Independent League instead of signing with the Reds.

Not good. This happened to the Reds in 2001 when they drafted Jeremy Sowers (20th overall) out of high school and he went to Vanderbilt instead.

Only problem is the Reds used the 7th pick on Alonso! Does Alonso really think he'd move up into one of the top six spots after a great senior year? One of Alonso's advisors says the Reds and Alonso are way off on figures. Before you blame the Reds or call them cheap, rumor has it Alonso is asking for a $7 million bonus, which is absurd. Last year's seventh overall pick, Matt LaPorta (the key player the Tribe got in the Sabathia deal), got a signing bonus of about $2 million. The top pick in last year's draft, David Price, didn't even get the amount Alonso is reportedly requesting.

Don't know much about Alonso's agent, Greg Genske, other than his LS Legacy Sports Group used to be Jeff Moorad's agency and among Genske's many clients is Reds outfielder Adam Dunn.

The only silver lining if the Reds don't sign Alonso is (and it wasn't this way when Sowers stiffed them) now there's a rule in place where the Reds would get the No. 7 pick in the 2009 draft if Alonso doesn't sign with them. Whichever team is slated for the No. 7 pick would just move down one spot in that draft to make room for the Reds.

The deadline for major-league teams to sign draft picks is Aug. 15 (one week from today).

I really don't care if we sign Alonso or not. If he doesn't want to play major league baseball as soon as possible, too bad for him. We'll do without him. I'm much more interested in Yorman Rodriguez. On the other hand, I don't think it means much that he signed up for fall classes at Miami. Obviously returning to school is his leverage; to make that credible, he has to make it look like going back to Miami is exactly what he intends.

Good luck with the St. Paul Saints, Yonder.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

oh well.. I guess we'll have two of the top 10 picks in next years draft... Take the best pitcher availabe first, the best hitter available with the other pick... Problem solved... Also, maybe the reds are going to throw cash at Yorman and knew all along they were not going to give in to Alonso and his outlandish demands...

Turn Off Ads?