Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yondor Alonso

How much leverage does Alonso have? If he goes back to college, and improves, does he raise his draft position at all? He is not a pitcher, SS, best all around college player, CF, etc. I am wondering if the Reds are in the better bargaining position than Alonso.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would certainly hope that the Reds knew his negotiating stance before drafting him. I had heard he wanted a major league deal, if the Reds have a problem with that they shouldn't have drafted him.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-08-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I would certainly hope that the Reds knew his negotiating stance before drafting him. I had heard he wanted a major league deal, if the Reds have a problem with that they shouldn't have drafted him.
    I suspect they were aware of it. If I rememeber correctly, we had a roster spot open by the draft, presumably for this purpose. Aside from eating a 40 man slot, it's doable. I'm not terribly worried about the time it's taking.

I just found this page and I have no idea how up to date it is, but so far only two players ahead of Alonso have signed, both high school players. I'm guessing everyone's taking it slowly with the new rules about signing dates. Didn't Brackman do this last year, finally signing a ML conract with the Yankees?

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/draft/...onuses_08.aspx
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How much leverage does Alonso have? If he goes back to college, and improves, does he raise his draft position at all? He is not a pitcher, SS, best all around college player, CF, etc. I am wondering if the Reds are in the better bargaining position than Alonso.
    This is an important point in that if he goes back in he may improve himself by a few slots, if he doesn't do well (injury etc...) than he could fall along ways down the line before someone will pick him. Both sides may have to get creative in order to get this done.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Not if they intended to punt the pick like they did in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    This is an important point in that if he goes back in he may improve himself by a few slots, if he doesn't do well (injury etc...) than he could fall along ways down the line before someone will pick him. Both sides may have to get creative in order to get this done.
    The think I am wondering is how high his ceiling is. Unless there is a weak draft class next season I don't see Alonso going much higher than 7. Even if he hits .400 next season at Miami I don't see a team taking him any higher than 7th. I wonder if this is playing into the Reds negotiations.

Even if Alonso would choose to return to Miami, the Reds, according to the article below, would receive the 8th selection in next year's draft (7-A), giving the Reds close to two top ten picks in one year.

Is Alonso really that much of a can't-miss prospect? Or could we let him go if his demands are too high and get an equal or better prospect next year?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ws/264176.html

There are no extra selections due to unsigned picks this year, but that could change. To encourage teams to take a harder line on signing bonuses, MLB pushed through a rule change for unsigned picks in the first three rounds, beginning with this draft.

If a team doesn't sign a pick in the first or second round, it gets a pick in essentially the same slot in the next draft. Previously, unsigned first-rounders merited a pick at the end of the supplemental first round. Unsigned picks beyond that drew no compensation. So if the Pirates didn't sign the No. 4 pick this year, they would get a pick just after No. 4 next year (which would be labeled as 4-A).
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by REDSEER View Post
    Even if Alonso would choose to return to Miami, the Reds, according to the article below, would receive the 8th selection in next year's draft (7-A), giving the Reds close to two top ten picks in one year.

Is Alonso really that much of a can't-miss prospect? Or could we let him go if his demands are too high and get an equal or better prospect next year?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ws/264176.html
    Who knows we might even end up with him again the following year, plus he would be in a situation where he would have to sign....Plus w/e pick we get for our record plus the 2 picks for Dunn and we could essentially land oursleves 4-5 first rounders(depending on FA to be Griff, with what he gets us). Lots of money to sign those guys, but also lots of talent.

One domino falls.....Oakland signs their 1st round pick (Number 12 overall) Jemile Weeks to a minor league contract which includes a 1.91 million dollar bonus. Weeks was a collegiate junior out of the University of Miami. That might help get the ball rolling a bit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Good deal.

With teammates Weeks and Garcia signing, I think it gives the Reds even more leverage. They should definitely have Garcia go and talk to him.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    One domino falls.....Oakland signs their 1st round pick (Number 12 overall) Jemile Weeks to a minor league contract which includes a 1.91 million dollar bonus. Weeks was a collegiate junior out of the University of Miami. That might help get the ball rolling a bit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
    Well that helps define the margins, if you will. The #6 signed for $2.3M and this $1.91M at #12 - I know it's not hardfast like that, but it gives us something to work with.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Well that helps define the margins, if you will. The #6 signed for $2.3M and this $1.91M at #12 - I know it's not hardfast like that, but it gives us something to work with.
    That data should make the negotiations relatively smooth. Doesn't mean it will, but it should. He's going to get somewhere between $1.91-$2.3 million. I say give him $2.2 mil and be done with it. In fact, he should already be signed IMO. There is no benefit in waiting around in this situation. He's going to sign (so you can forget all the talk about getting pick "7-A" in next year's draft) so they might as well get it done now. Get him as many ABs in Sarasota this year as possible. Then next year hopefully he can come out in his first full year of pro ball and explode (like a LaPorta or someone like that). It often happens with college players drafted that early (not named Drew Stubbs). The good ones are almost ready about a year after they're drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The think I am wondering is how high his ceiling is. Unless there is a weak draft class next season I don't see Alonso going much higher than 7. Even if he hits .400 next season at Miami I don't see a team taking him any higher than 7th. I wonder if this is playing into the Reds negotiations.

The other thing Alonso has to consider is that if he doesn't sign, he is forever losing one year of his professional career, and that could be millions.

Think of it this way: assume that he is only going to be productive enough to play pro ball, and eventually make a MLB team until he is , say, 36. He has a finite, number of years where he will be good enough to play. If he stays in college one more year, just for the sake of a few hundred thousand, he is a fool. He will never get that 'lost' year back. THe lost year in his MLB career will be worth, at MLB minimum, $400,000 at the 2008 rate. And th lost year will not be a minimum pay year if he is good, and makes it to free agency. He clearly has nothing left to show in college.

Also, he runs the risk of getting hurt. One serious injury could cost him the chance of ever getting the million dollar plus payday.

I predict he will sign.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I predict he will sign.
    I think you're right, and I like the reasoning.

Turn Off Ads?