Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Yonder Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agreed on the slotting system--I never saw how it could work in the first place.
    The slotting system is a joke though. Its suggested slotting, not mandatory. So players/agents can ask for whatever they want. True slotting means you get drafted at X you get paid B and that is that. No one would not draft the best player then. MLB's slotting system isn't close to being effective at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    If they get no player out of the first round, it's a major failure for Jocketty. Simple as that.
    While it is a problem, wouldn't they get a comparable pick in next year's draft? That would probably take the major out of the failure.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    They did know this in advance. There were articles before the draft that stated Alonso was looking for seven million dollars and a possible major league contract. The Reds knew this in advance and still chose him over others like Gordon Beckham, Justin Smoak, and Aaron Crow. It's all on the Reds if they fail to sign him.
    Well, those 3 haven't signed either. So maybe it's not all the Reds' fault here. I think these kids are under the impression that this is the NLF draft or something...7 mil is ridiculous.

I don't think the Reds can afford another whiff on a draft pick. The Jeremy Sowers fiasco's corpse still smells today.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I don't think the Reds can afford another whiff on a draft pick. The Jeremy Sowers fiasco's corpse still smells today.
    Of all the Reds 1st round draft pick blunders (and there are tons to choose from over the past 15 years), Jeremy Sowers might have been their best one because it didn't result in losing any money.

The Miami Herald articles suggests there is a 50/50 chance Alonso will play first base for the Hurricanes next year if he doesn't get the 7 million. I will provide a link to the article below:

http://www.miamiherald.com/606/story/632916.html

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Miami Herald articles suggests there is a 50/50 chance Alonso will play first base for the Hurricanes next year if he doesn't get the 7 million. I will provide a link to the article below:

http://www.miamiherald.com/606/story/632916.html
    I don't see Alonzo as being that stupid. It's just a negotiating ploy.

Heres what Lance McAlister posted on his blog:

What happens if Yonder Alonso goes back to school?

Teams that fail to sign a first-round pick no longer receive an extra pick after the first round as compensation, but instead a virtually identical pick the following year; for example, a team that fails to sign the No. 5 pick one year will receive the No. 6 pick the next, rather than one in the 30s or 40s. The same compensation also now exists for unsigned second-round picks, while a team that fails to sign a third-round pick will receive a sandwich pick between the third and fourth rounds. -Baseball America

Okay, I officially hate Yonder Alonso. What a jerk. $7 million????????? He hasn't even played a major league yet.

I'm sick of this.

I need to give up professional sports and start watching sports where pay is not involved.

I don't blame him. You only get one signing bonus as an amateur--might as well try to make it as good as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Okay, I officially hate Yonder Alonso. What a jerk. $7 million????????? He hasn't even played a major league yet.

I'm sick of this.

I need to give up professional sports and start watching sports where pay is not involved.
    You can watch the Next Generation play kickball and team-frisbee.

Give me a rockem-sockem boxing match any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post

I'm sick of this.

It's really not just Alonso and in many ways, MLB has brought this on themselves. Attempting to put a brake on escalating signing bonuses, they implement this system that is voluntary and yet leaves teams hanging try to stay within its constraints. And drafted players and their agents, I think, have decided they won't buy that system. There are a lot of drafted 1st rounders who haven't signed (from what I could find, just ten out of 30 picks - only one third).

If ultimately a significant number of draftees remain unsigned, MLB will have to go back to the drawing board. I imagine that making a slotting system mandatory would have to be addressed in the Basic Agreement, but I could be wrong on that.

But at this point, I don't think this is solely, or even mostly, a Reds failure.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's really not just Alonso and in many ways, MLB has brought this on themselves. Attempting to put a brake on escalating signing bonuses, they implement this system that is voluntary and yet leaves teams hanging try to stay within its constraints. And drafted players and their agents, I think, have decided they won't buy that system. There are a lot of drafted 1st rounders who haven't signed (from what I could find, just ten out of 30 picks - only one third).

If ultimately a significant number of draftees remain unsigned, MLB will have to go back to the drawing board. I imagine that making a slotting system mandatory would have to be addressed in the Basic Agreement, but I could be wrong on that.

But at this point, I don't think this is solely, or even mostly, a Reds failure.
    Have to agree here...even if Alonso calimed he was going to demand $7MM, that is only the start of his negotiations. He is obviously going to shoot for the stars and probably settle for less. If he doesn't sign, it will suck. But at least they don't basically lose the pick like they used to.

But I think there will be a decent amount of liability on the part of the FO. Not only was the guy giving hints of being a tough sign, they also already have a younger first baseman in house. Add those up and the pick made less sense than you'd usually want a top 10 pick to make. If you are going to pick someone who may cause a (good) headache down the road by providing too much talent for the diamond, you better be damn sure that the player works out. Because even though he may have been the BPA at the time of the draft, 5 years from now all anyone will remember is that he didn't work out and they tried to force the pick.

MLB needs to fix the fiasco known as the MLB draft. Make it global and reign in the bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Miami Herald articles suggests there is a 50/50 chance Alonso will play first base for the Hurricanes next year if he doesn't get the 7 million.
    If I were running the Reds there would be a 100% chance he wouldn't get anything close to $7M. That's the kind of money that caused the Reds to skip past Rick Porcello last year. If they spend it now, I say it's a year late and the wrong target.
    Last edited by M2; 08-08-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Have to agree here...even if Alonso calimed he was going to demand $7MM, that is only the start of his negotiations. He is obviously going to shoot for the stars and probably settle for less. If he doesn't sign, it will suck. But at least they don't basically lose the pick like they used to.

But I think there will be a decent amount of liability on the part of the FO. Not only was the guy giving hints of being a tough sign, they also already have a younger first baseman in house. Add those up and the pick made less sense than you'd usually want a top 10 pick to make. If you are going to pick someone who may cause a (good) headache down the road by providing too much talent for the diamond, you better be damn sure that the player works out. Because even though he may have been the BPA at the time of the draft, 5 years from now all anyone will remember is that he didn't work out and they tried to force the pick.

MLB needs to fix the fiasco known as the MLB draft. Make it global and reign in the bonuses.
    The pick makes all kinds of sense: Dunn likely gone and Votto a tweener.

I think they'll get it done.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?