Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yonder Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Wow, talk about overreacting. :O) Buckley's done a very good job overall. In fact, just looking at the Alonso pick...if he botched that one (which I don't think he did), then who should he have gone with? Crow? Smoak? Beckham? Of those 3 only Beckham has signed. I'd say that regardless of what the players were asking for, Buckley went with the best available player...and then left it up to Cast & crew to sign the guy. That's far from a poor strategy.
    As I said, responsibility for this goes up and down the scale. But Buckley's not turned up any killers on the pitching side of things.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    As I said, responsibility for this goes up and down the scale. But Buckley's not turned up any killers on the pitching side of things.
    To me, it seems that Buckley's two drafts have been much better in terms of depth than previous scouting directors' results. Sure, Stubbs and Mesoraco haven't set the world on fire yet, but you've got to like a lot of the later picks that have filled out our top-20 prospect list (Frazier, Dorn, Soto, etc.)
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    To me, it seems that Buckley's two drafts have been much better in terms of depth than previous scouting directors' results. Sure, Stubbs and Mesoraco haven't set the world on fire yet, but you've got to like a lot of the later picks that have filled out our top-20 prospect list (Frazier, Dorn, Soto, etc.)
    Frazier's been by far the best of the bunch, but even he seems more like Joey Votto than Jay Bruce.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

He hasn't really targeted pitching early in the drafts, where you will typically find those killers. He's passed on a bunch of potential studs.

Frazier's been by far the best of the bunch, but even he seems more like Joey Votto than Jay Bruce.
    and what's wrong with Joey Votto?...Jay Bruce was a top 15 pick by the way...Fraizer and Votto weren't

Frazier looks like a young Kevin Youkilis to me. Great eye at the plate and 25-30 homerun power. Also, keep an eye on Neftali Soto who is looking like a major stud. The power he is showing at only 19 years old is very impressive. Kyle Lotzkar and Jeremy Horst are also looking great, with Lotzkar having TOR potential.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

* Oh yeah, Dusty Baker said he'd talked to Yonder Alonso yesterday, just called him.

* One of my peeps e-mailed and said the Yonder Alonso talks are looking "very BAD right now"

Each minute with a deal, that 50/50 number that Jocketty put out there seems to go down.
    From C-Trent's blog

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    From C-Trent's blog
    That's not good news. Hopefully the Reds don't flinch and give him what he wants. Take it to the last minute if nessecary, but don't give him anything near his asking price. If we have the seventh pick again next year, so be it.

Well, I haven't seen any confirmation on that 7 million deal for Posey. Every deal I've seen has been VERY close to slot. I doubt that the Reds would go anywhere close to that high. But then again, I think Alonso will sign for much cheaper than he's asking for...just holding off to the last minute to try to increase it. I'm sure he knows the risk of not signing just as well as the Reds do.

I saw this link...http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb...but I don't see that as confirmation...just rumors.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 08-15-2008 at 05:45 PM.

I wonder if the reds would go at about 60% of asking price which would be 4.2mil, maybe up it to 4.5 with the ML contract and say take it or leave it

Posey not a Giant ... yet

There were early reports by the San Jose Mercury News that Buster Posey and the Giants had all but officially agreed on a Major League deal worth $7.5 million. Not so, say the Giants. At least, not yet. "Stories reporting that we have signed Buster Posey are inaccurate. Negotiations are ongoing," said Bobby Evans, Giants director of player personnel.

http://draft.mlblogs.com/

That's kinda what I figured. If you take that "deal" out of the equation...then Alonso has no legs to stand on in regards to his dollar demands. Sure, he's still got the "going back to school" card to play, but that comes with it's inherant risks to say the least.

As reported earlier today, No. 4 overall pick Brian Matusz signed a major league deal with the Orioles. The deal, which runs from 2009-13, includes a $3.2 million bonus and $2.825 million in big league salaries. However, the contract apparently contains a split salary structures that would provide Matusz with minimal minor league salaries should he not be on the active big league roster.

MLB values the total guaranteed money in the contract at $3,472,500—or just $272,500 above the bonus amount. MLB views the net present value of the deal as $3,264,408.
    ~from baseballamerica.com (free content)

Matusz was the 4th pick overall....I just don't see any chance that Alonso pulls in over 4 million. None.

The way Matusz's contract seems to be structured is sort of what the Cards did with Drew's way back when. I wouldn't be adverse to the Reds coming up with such a solution.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This is the point in the negotiations where you make your best offer and walk away from the table. If he thinks he can do better, more power to him.

It's put up or shut up time for Alonso -- his choice now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?