Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yonder Alonso

Hmmm ... midnight Friday ... as in two hours from now or 26 hours from now? I'm assuming two hours from now since midnight is technically Friday morning, but just checking to be sure.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

26 hours.

Just some interesting, meaningless info on Greg Genske, Alonso's agent. He also represents Adam Dunn and C.C. Sabathia, and was the agent that Manny dropped in favor of Boras this year.
    Maybe he is trying to show Manny that he has a pair?

A negotiation involves two sides trying to come to a common agreement that is beneficial to both parties. One side throws out a number, the other side responds, and so on, until a compromise is reached.

Alonso threw out a # of $7MM even though he was only the 7th pick in the draft. The Reds first response to this proposal was the slot # of $2.5MM, which is what they are required to do by MLB. Alonso hasn't backed off his initial demand and is now pouting that the Reds will not increase their offer when he himself will not come down from his #.

Negotiation 101 is never, never, negotiate against yourself. If the other side will not come off its initial proposal, you walk away. Alonso's demand exceeds what other draft picks are getting and is so far above his slot # that it's laughable.

The Reds were right in drafting him because no one expects an initial proposal to be the final deal. They probably thought they would get something comfortably between slot and Alonso's initial proposal.

And I have an exercise for everyone who believes that the Reds should just cave in because they knew Alonso's demands before they drafted him. Go into your boss tomorrow and demand a salary three times the going rate for your position. When your boss laughs at you, tell him you're going to walk if you don't get it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The Reds may have made a lot of mistakes in the past decade, but giving into Alonso's childish demands would be the worst of them.

And isn't anyone concerned about the attitude of this guy? Do we really think he is going to be a team player if he even gets to the Show? He sounding more and more like he would be poison in the clubhouse, especially considering he is taking advice from the Yankee's star 3B. Maybe the Reds should have done a little more homework on this guy's intangibles, but who could really know how amateurish he would be in his negotiations.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Wow. We're going to lose Alonso. Not angry at the Reds here - Alonso's demand is ludicrous. Well, actually, the Reds kinda are negligent here....should have drafted Gordon Beckham. SS was more of a position of need and you just never draft a Miami Hurricane, especially one as cocky as Alonso.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I never really understood the Alonso pick from the need side of things. But I really understand it on the talent side. Alonso is really, really talented and the Reds need to sign this kid. Now i know the 7 mil. is a little pricey for the 7th pick but I would probably offer around 5 mil. if Im the Reds. I would hate to see them lose this kid because I believe he will be a all-star.

I blame Madonna.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

4 million should do it.

I know it's principle and all, but it just seems kind of funny to haggle over a couple million dollars when you see all the money this club wastes every year on it's 25 man roster. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    4 million should do it.

I know it's principle and all, but it just seems kind of funny to haggle over a couple million dollars when you see all the money this club wastes every year on it's 25 man roster. Seriously.
    But doesn't making sure Mike Stanton gets paid make you feel good?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Re: Yondor Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    i'm going to laugh when we cant sign this guy
    posted awhile back....

and i'm grinning a little...

j/k, seems ridiculous what hes asking for...i take it if he isnt signed he goes back to miami then?

Jocketty still thinks there's a good chance Alonso will sign:

"Right now, I'd say it's 50-50," Jocketty said of the chances the Reds would be able to sign Alonso.

Going back to the 1998 draft, don't forget that two other first rounders from that draft have also been in the Reds organization: Mike Nannini and Eric Valent.

Also, 12 players from the 1994 draft have been in the Reds organization. Does anyone want to guess them?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Jocketty still thinks there's a good chance Alonso will sign:
    "Right now, I'd say it's 50-50," Jocketty said of the chances the Reds would be able to sign Alonso.
    If he is saying that it signals to me that it's less than 50-50, means he isn't real optimistic about it all wouldn't ya'll think?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If he is saying that it signals to me that it's less than 50-50, means he isn't real optimistic about it all wouldn't ya'll think?
    I'd say it's just the opposite. He's lowering expectations in case the signing doesn't happen. If he said there's a 75% chance he'll sign, then he doesn't ... ouch!

This was updated about two and a half hours ago:

7. Reds: Yonder Alonso – The two sides seems to be at really severe odds 24 hours ago, but there has been some movement of late, whether or not it turns out to be enough progress in the end is still to be determined. Chances are he’ll still sign, but the chances that he won’t are higher than they should be at this point.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=988

Turn Off Ads?