Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Yonder Alonso

Yeah, I agree. I have no problem with them putting him on the 40-man...just keep the dollar amount in the realm of reality. I mean look at our current 40-man roster. There's quite a bit of fodder on there already. What's one more unproven talent?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I had a bad feeling about this guy from the beginning.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Just my prediction...Alonso will cave and accept a reasonable deal late tonight...this will all be water under the bridge.

Forgive me, when is the deadline?

I hate drama like this, why can't players just sign and not nitpick over every little thing? I wish there were more incentive contracts. Do well, you get paid. Do crappy, you don't get as much. This simple concept is how about 99% of the rest of the population works, but baseball players are "above" it.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Forgive me, when is the deadline?
    Midnight I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    I hate drama like this, why can't players just sign and not nitpick over every little thing? I wish there were more incentive contracts. Do well, you get paid. Do crappy, you don't get as much. This simple concept is how about 99% of the rest of the population works, but baseball players are "above" it.
    I think that goes for athletes in general.

from reds.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds made their final pitch to Yonder Alonso on Friday. Now they'll wait for their first-round Draft pick's final answer. There were only a few hours remaining Friday until a midnight ET deadline for teams to sign their 2008 Draft picks. As afternoon wound towards evening, the two sides did not appear close to reaching a deal.
    "We've presented our final offer," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "We're waiting to see how they respond."
    "We're working really hard, but as of now we're a good ways apart," Reds scouting director Chris Buckley said earlier in the day. "It's frustrating, for sure."
    Jocketty was on the field visiting with members of his old team, the Cardinals, during batting practice before the two teams played on Friday night. He was satisfied the Reds went as far as they could to get Alonso to sign.
    "We said we've gone as far as we want to go," Jocketty said. "We've already gone substantially farther than we planned to because we like the player and thought he would play in the big leagues within the next couple of years."
    On Thursday, Reds manager Dusty Baker got involved in the process. Baker's agent, Greg Genske, is Alonso's advisor and negotiating point man.
    "I called him yesterday, and he called me back and we talked briefly," Baker said. "I'm hoping we get it done. Most of that is out of my hands."
    Baker declined to detail the conversation he had with Alonso, a 22-year-old first baseman out of the University of Miami. Alonso was the No. 7 overall pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft.
    Alonso has been seeking $7 million, and although the Reds haven't detailed their offer, it originally was reported to be in the $3 million range that was in line with the slot system.
    Genske has not returned phone calls for comment.
    Teams that don't sign their Draft picks before the deadline lose their rights and the players go back into the pool for next year. Alonso could return for his senior season at Miami or play independent ball if he doesn't sign. The Reds would get the No. 8 overall selection next season as compensation if they don't sign Alonso.
    The Reds inked two other Draft picks on Friday, with 30th-round selection Juan Sulbaran and 35th rounder Matthew Fairel agreeing to deals. Both are pitchers.

Looks like he won't sign. Great job by Jocketty and Buckley.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    When you don't yet have the millions of dollars, I imagine you hold out for every last one. What might be a few tenths on a message board to us is $100,000s in the pocket of a guy who might not see another professional contract.

When I negotiated my salary with my current employer, I put a number out there and pushed it to the deadline. It's just business. The fact that the numbers are big and the vocation is a game doesn't change the rules.

Until something is definitive, I'm not going to waste my time speculating.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Yonder comes off his demands

From Fay

Walt Jocketty says it's up to Yonder Alonso.
    "We've made a final offer," Jocketty said. "We're waiting to hear from him. We'd love to have him. That's why we drafted him."
    Jocketty said Alonso, the Reds' top pick in draft, came off his original demand "by a little bit" for the first time.
    Jocketty would not say if the offer was a major league contract.
    The deadline to sign is 11:59 p.m.
    Alex Rodriguez is very much a factor in this thing. Rodriguez is close to Alonso and has offered to left him live with ARod in New York and play independent league baseball next year.
    Alonso and his representative have not returned calls today.

I will give props to the organization for not going too far above slot just to sign a guy, but why did we draft him if we weren't 100% sure we would sign him? At the time Buckley sounded 110% sure in his interviews that they would sign Alonso even though it had been publicly announced that Alonso was looking for a large amount of money.

Why doesn't A-rod just give him the extra 4million to get him to his 7million mark, it's not like he has any money problems...and he doesn't have a wife to spend money on either now.

alright some movement from Yonder's side. at least he is showing a willingness to come here and not saying my way or the high way.

Somehow I don't think the reds are done making offers, especially if he starts coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    alright some movement from Yonder's side. at least he is showing a willingness to come here and not saying my way or the high way.

Somehow I don't think the reds are done making offers, especially if he starts coming down.
    I agree...I'd be almost certain the Reds have not made their final offer...this is simply posturing to hopefully pinch a penny or two.

Five hours until the deadline.

Turn Off Ads?