Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yondor Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    The Reds are paying all of Griffey's salary this year essentially. The Sox are paying zero dollars for him this year (with the exception of the pro-rated minimum salary, because they have to pay something I believe) and splitting the buyout with us. We saved $2m next year, zero this year.
    Negative.

The Reds and Sox are splitting the salary for the remainder of the year [approximately 4 million] and they are splitting the buyout, again 4 million.

2 million + 2 million = 4 million 'saved'.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Negative.

The Reds and Sox are splitting the salary for the remainder of the year [approximately 4 million] and they are splitting the buyout, again 4 million.

2 million + 2 million = 4 million 'saved'.
    Negative.

I know ESPN reported they would split the contract but this report I know is right.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Ken Griffey Jr. has accepted a trade to the White Sox.

According to CBSSports.com, the Reds will receive Danny Richar and Nick Masset while paying the remaining $4 million on Griffey's contract. Richar has seen his stock decline this year after playing 56 games with the White Sox last season, spending the entire year at Triple-A while hitting just .262/.321/.427. Masset has a 5.63 career ERA in 92 2/3 innings spent mostly as a reliever, but the Reds may view him as a potential fourth or fifth starter long term.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Negative.

I know ESPN reported they would split the contract but this report I know is right.
    If that report is right then I would bet that the White Sox are on the hook for the $4M buyout, if they decide to go that route.

It wouldn't make any sense that the Reds have anything to do with what the White Sox are doing with Junior's contract in 2009 anyway. Heck, they may exercise his option for all we know.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    If that report is right then I would bet that the White Sox are on the hook for the $4M buyout, if they decide to go that route.

It wouldn't make any sense that the Reds have anything to do with what the White Sox are doing with Junior's contract in 2009 anyway. Heck, they may exercise his option for all we know.
    I believe both teams have assumed they won't pick it up...why would anyone pay him $16,000,000? If they happen to pick it up, my guess is the Reds still pay $2m of that, but that i don't really know.

Can we somehow correct the spelling of Yonder's name in the title of this thread? Sorry... pet peeve.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    From what I've read on this site and elsewhere, (Including I think, Doug the ultimate Minors monitor ), Frazier is anything but a SS.

We've got a nice problem....too much talent in the minors. Except we do have a huge hole at Catcher, and we still need a lot better starting pitching throughout the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We've got a nice problem....too much talent in the minors. Except we do have a huge hole at Catcher, and we still need a lot better starting pitching throughout the minors.
    Pretty much every system as a hole at the catcher position. The Reds have some intriguing talent, though--especially in the lower minors. We all know the stories on Ryan Hanigan, Craig Tatum, and Devin Mesoraco, but it looks like Jordan Wideman's hitting is slowly coming along, and Kyle Day has been on fire in Billings. Unfortunately, if Mesoraco doesn't advance to A+ next year, the Reds will have a lot of mediocre-at-best catching 'talent' in A+ and AA. Between Eddy Rodriguez, Chris Denove, Chris Kroski, Jake Long, Jason Bour, et al, there isn't a lot to be excited about.

From the NY Post:

BOSTON - Alex Rodriguez and David Ortiz shared a late meal Saturday night on the eve of Rodriguez's 33rd birthday at JER-NE restaurant and were joined by somebody Rodriguez predicts will develop into a star.

Sitting with the perennial All Stars was Yonder Alonso, a Coral Gables, Fla., resident, former Miami University star and the seventh pick (by the Reds) in last month's draft who Rodriguez predicts will sign a $7 million contract soon.

"Manny (Ramirez) and (Ortiz) are [my] close friends," Rodriguez said when asked if he often socializes with opponents before the Yanks' 9-2 loss to the Red Sox last night.

Alonso is more than a friend to Rodriguez, a fellow Coral Gables resident.

"He hits at my house every night, still does," Rodriguez said of left-handed hitting first baseman Rodriguez compared with a young Jason Giambi. "He was my shadow for four months during the winter."
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

$7 million?? Yikes. That would be quite disappointing if the Reds went that high above slot.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    $7 million?? Yikes. That would be quite disappointing if the Reds went that high above slot.
    Teams like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have to start going above slot or talented players will continue to fall to Detroit and the Yankees. If the Reds don't go above slot somebody will.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Teams like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have to start going above slot or talented players will continue to fall to Detroit and the Yankees. If the Reds don't go above slot somebody will.
    thats why the MLB draft is a joke..worst teams that need the players cant afford em.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. If I'm not mistaken, no players, including the top picks this year (including the Rays/Pirates etc( have received that big of a bonus.

I found this piece on projectprospect.com.

by Lincoln Hamilton
    July 21, 2008
    We’re over a month past the 2008 MLB draft and half of the 30 first round picks have yet to sign professional contracts, including eight of the first 11 picks.

Last year Major League Baseball announced a change in the negotiation timetable for Rule IV draft picks. Instead of the previous deadline of 51 weeks, teams now have until 11:59 (EST) on the Ides of August.

In the first year under this new system, seven of the first 30 picks waited until the August 15th deadline before all the t’s and x’s were crossed and the i’s and lower case j’s were dotted. David Price (No. 1 overall, Tampa) Mike Moustakas (No. 2, Kansas City) Josh Vitters (No. 3, Chicago Cubs) Matt Wieters (No. 5, Baltimore) Jarrod Parker (No. 9, Arizona) Matt Dominguez (No. 12, Florida) and Andrew Brackman (No. 30, New York Yankees) each took contract talks down to the wire and each ended up signing for over the recommended slot bonus. The seven players’ deals combined were worth $9.845 million more than slot.

Of the guys who got their deals done quickly, only four of the first rounders signed contracts for more than 10% over slot. And one of those, Rick Porcello (No. 27, Detroit) who went for more than $2 million over slot was a unanimous top-tier prospect who fell in the draft because teams didn’t want to pay him his asking price – an $8 million asking price was floated around, but he signed for a bonus of just $3.58 million.

2008's number one overall pick, Tim Beckham (SS, Tampa Bay – if you don’t know that you’re probably new to the site so let me say, “Hello and welcome to Project Prospect.”), has already began playing for the Rays’ Rookie League affiliate after putting his John Hancock on a deal that pays him $6.15 million – a record for any draft pick. But other than Beckham – No. 8 pick Gordon Beckham has yet to sign – none of the other signees have gone significantly over the recommended slot price.

The reason we’re seeing more stalled negotiations this year compared to last, is painfully obvious (Hint: the answer is in the second paragraph). Because of the inherent volatility in projecting future amateur performance, the hefty injury rate for young athletes, and the overall desultoriness 17-year-olds; draft picks this year are MUCH more valuable than draft picks next year. Clubs know this, agents know this, and players know this. So when it comes down to crunch time, deals tend to get done and tend to favor the player (in terms of getting more cash upfront than the Commissioner's office recommends.)

Pedro Alvarez and Eric Hosmer, 2008's 2nd and 3rd picks to Pittsburg and Kansas City respectively, were considered difficult signs prior to the draft yet neither slid in the draft, and Buster Posey (No. 5, San Francisco) despite deliberately trying to fall down draft boards with a $12 million price tag was still nabbed early. Teams would still rather pay an extra $500,000 to a young guy who will be under club control and has all of this best baseball ahead of him than perhaps $20 million too much in free agency for just a few years of a player’s decline phase.

The days of teams being afraid to pay big bonus or even try to negotiate seem to be over – the addition of a compensatory pick of equivalent value gives teams a nice fall back option should a deal not be reached.

It looks like all 30 picks will end up signing, but also that some owners will end up cutting slightly larger checks than they wish.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Saw this piece and clipped it:
    2008 Draft Update:

With less than two weeks to go until the 2008 draft signing deadline, here is a list of the 1st round picks that remained unsigned.

First Round:

2. Pedro Alvarez (3B, PIT)

3. Eric Hosmer (1B, KC)

4. Brian Matusz (LHP, BAL)

5. Buster Posey (C, SF)

7. Yonder Alonso (1B, CIN)

8. Gordon Beckham (SS, CWS)

9. Aaron Crow (RHP, WAS)

11. Justin Smoak (1B, TEX)

16. Brett Lawrie (3B, MIL)

20. Josh Fields (RHP, SEA)

23. Allan Dykstra (1B, SD)

28. Gerrit Cole (RHP, NYY)
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Re: Yonder Alonso

http://draft.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ft_update.html
    Reds -- Yonder Alonso:
    It hasn't been going great, but the Reds are still fairly confident they'll get it done. Look for it to be above-slot. An odd side note: The agent representing Alonso also reps Jim Morris, the University of Miami baseball coach. Yep, Alonso went to Miami...just adds some drama.

Turn Off Ads?