Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yonder Alonso

Alonso has as much leverage as he will ever get. If he goes back to school or to the Indy league and waits for the 2009 draft he will have almost no leverage next year.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope they sign Alonso. That said, if it doesn't happen this isn't the kind of disaster it used to be. They'll get pick 7a next year, plus their regular first round pick. At the rate they're going they could have 2 picks in the top 8.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's really not just Alonso and in many ways, MLB has brought this on themselves. Attempting to put a brake on escalating signing bonuses, they implement this system that is voluntary and yet leaves teams hanging try to stay within its constraints. And drafted players and their agents, I think, have decided they won't buy that system. There are a lot of drafted 1st rounders who haven't signed (from what I could find, just ten out of 30 picks - only one third).

If ultimately a significant number of draftees remain unsigned, MLB will have to go back to the drawing board. I imagine that making a slotting system mandatory would have to be addressed in the Basic Agreement, but I could be wrong on that.

But at this point, I don't think this is solely, or even mostly, a Reds failure.
    Agreed. With so many holding out I really hope that teams stay firm. It would send a major ripple through the market if half of the 1st round picks aren't signed because of money. Eventually the players and agents will get wise and recognize that 3-4 million as opposed to 7 is still a lot of money.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I'd be willing to bet $7mm that Alonso signs this year, and everyone is freaking out over nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'd be willing to bet $7mm that Alonso signs this year, and everyone is freaking out over nothing.
    IMO, that's a horrible waste of money. I'd prefer the Reds not make that deal. Matt LaPorta got a $2M bonus on the same pick last season. No way do I want the Reds to have any part of a 250% bonus inflation.
    Last edited by M2; 08-08-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    IMO, that's a horrible waste of money. I'd prefer the Reds not make that deal. Matt LaPorta got a $2M bonus on the same pick last season. No way do I want the Reds to have any part of a 250% bonus inflation.
    If the young man wants $7M I would tell him tot try again next year and wish him luck because he will have no leverage. I would offer him ~2.5M and tell him to take or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    If the young man wants $7M I would tell him tot try again next year and wish him luck because he will have no leverage. I would offer him ~2.5M and tell him to take or leave it.
    Agreed.

I've got nothing against Alonso, but a kid 1B is not where I want to break the bank. The Reds have got needs and that $7M could fix some holes on the major league roster this winter.

Plus, if the Reds and some others refuse to take part in this heist, next year's bonus demands are likely to be a lot more reasonable. IMO, it makes sense to wait a year to get a kid just as good at a fraction of the price.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'd also bet that Alonso doesn't sign for more than $5mm.

Yeah since the 5 mil to Iona didn't work out, It would see that they would have the money to sign him at 7mil(5 mil in Iona money and money set aside for the #7 pick)

I would have to think they will get him signed at the last minute, I think right now both sides are trying to wait for the other to blink.

I think he will sign as well. Hopefully they don't give him $7MM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd lower that to $3M

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree completely. I'd go $3M max aiming more for something in between 2.5-3. His best teammates have already left and been drafted so I'm not sure he has much to look forward to at Miami. He risks injury and being drafted lower and being forced to have no leverage next year.

Alonso definitely has leverage, but don't underestimate the potential risks that come with that leverage. Leverage this year will turn into no leverage next year.

Now that the latest date to sign is August 15th, I think everyone should just get used to most first round draft picks not being signed until around then. Alonso will sign, and it probably won't even be for half of $7mm. JUST CHILL OUT, PEOPLE!!! JEEZ!!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Maybe he should see if a pro league in Cuba will give him $7 million. What a joke.

But I agree he will sign with the Reds soon and this is much ado about nothing.

Now that the latest date to sign is August 15th, I think everyone should just get used to most first round draft picks not being signed until around then. Alonso will sign, and it probably won't even be for half of $7mm. JUST CHILL OUT, PEOPLE!!! JEEZ!!!
    Seems to me you're the only who needs to chill out here.

Others are just stating what their ceiling is on signing Alonso. I think we all understand this is a game of chicken and nothing's getting done until probably next Friday.

Turn Off Ads?